High Lactic Acid level
I am a diabetic.  I am obese - 316 lbs. 3 yrs ago I was diagnosed
while I was in the hospital with pneumonia with lactic acidoses.
I was immediatly taken off glucophage & Actos.  I have had trouble walking ever since due to muscle loss.  My last lactic acid test was high at 32.  What does this mean?  Should I worry
about a high lactic acid level? If so, can this be corrected?
Thank You.

Jean B
Thanks, Kendra

I knew the high, high for lactic acid is 16 but my doctors don't seem to think it's a problem.  I've never gotten a direct
answer to the question I am asking.  I don't have all those
syntoms.  I never went back on glucophage or actos.  I am on a
more powerful insulin.  My AIC is about 8.2 so maybe that's why
this lactic acid level is high but it seems very high to me.
I, too, am starting an excerise program in a few weeks.  Warm water excercises.  Good luck to you.

Jean B
Jean, does you doctor know how high you lactic acid level is?  I have read that normal readings are 6-16 so I would be very concerned with your number.  I too have been hospitalized due to Keoacidoses.  I am a type I diabetic.  It was the most painful and frightening experience I have ever had.  It can kill you.

Please alert someone who can get you to immediate medical care if you are not able to make that decision.  I thought I had food poisoning, so delayed in getting medical attention until I was very sick.  When I started having labored breathing, my doctor told me to go to the ER fast.  The trouble is that by this time you may not be thinking clearly and able to make good decisions for yourself.  I was exremely disoriented and could not drive myself.  

Have you gone back on any meds for the diabetes?  Glucophage can actually cause you to get Ketoacidoses.  I'm not sure why, so I would definitely talk to your doctor about that.  

Are your Blood sugar levels high?  That could cause your Lactic acid levels to stay high as well, as can dehydration and anemia.

If you don't have a blood meter, I would get one because they will alert you for danger if your blood sugars levels are dangerouly high.  

There seems to be some theory that physical therapy can reduce the lactic acid level and I'm still researching it because I also fear I still have it in my legs as they are still stiff and painful.  I am starting therapy soon.

A related discussion, pressure  on right side was started.