Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
High ASO Titre and non specific symptoms

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have been feeling unwell now for 6 months

I orginally came down with some sort of sickness:

Extreme swollen glands(all over)
Generilized Itchyness
Period twice in one month
White hariy tongue(swab done not thrust)
Extreme fatigue

Doctors ran bloodwork found following:

ASO Titre 989 - 9 times higher in system then should be <125 (never even had as much as a sore throat so I don't think this was strept realated)
Slightly elevated white blood cells 12.7
slightly elevated rf factor 23
traces of blood in urine- but minor
Rash on stomach that comes and go

6 months have past and I still feel sick.

Lately I find I am short of breath and wake up through the night frequently with heart racing and gasping for air.

I have also bought some urine strips and have found there is glucose in my urine from time to time( bloodwork is good for kidneys and dibeties).

Any ideas?  I feel like I have so many non specific symptoms I don't even know where to start.  All I know is I havn't been feeling right since what ever I came down with 6 months ago.

Any ideas what can cause a high ASO titre beside strept throat?

Strep infection is the most common cause of an elevated ASO titer.

Other causes can include bacterial endocarditis, post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis, rheumatic fever, and scarlet fever.  These conditions can be evaluated for respective with an echocardiogram and kidney tests, including analyzing the urine sediment.  

Sugar in the urine is most commonly due to diabetes.  Repeat fasting blood sugars, or a glucose tolerance test can be considered to confirm the diagnosis.  

Regarding the shortness of breath, you can consider chest imaging with plain film or CT scan.  The aforementioned echocardiogram can examine for cardiac causes of the shortness of breath.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
this is so strange.  i have been having the exact same symptoms.  my aso level is a 534.  i get hives off and on.  they usually last a week, go away for a week, then return.  the people at my job think i'm crazy.  my doctor has got me on augmentin (antibiotic), zyrtec, and fluticasone (nasal spray-corticosteroid).  this has been going on for 4 months.  i turned 30 in sept.  when i went to the dr. she told me that we were trying to keep the hives down for 3 months.  when i was there it was an off week for the hives.  well...they were back a week later in full force.  i don't know how with all this stuff i'm on.  i don't feel like i have strep.  my neck gets a little sore but, nothing more then that.  it doesn't even last that long.  i am sleepy though.  minus the hives my skin still itches when they are gone.  what state are you in?  what kind of pets do you have?  horses?  i'm in michigan.  i had a chest x-ray.  it was fine.  i am very curious to know what we have in common.  i work in an office.  sorry but, i have been almost out of my mind trying to figure out what the hell is going on with me.  i could ask a million questions.
That is soooo weriod.....I came down with some of the similiar symptoms you had a couple of weeks ago.

Extreme swollen glands(all over)
Period twice in one month
Extreme fatigue

Doctors ran my bloodwork and everything seemed normal but my ASO Titre was at 320 and my strep test was negative along with the fact that I haven't had a strep throat in a year.  What does this mean???  I'm really concerned.  My doctor is sending me to get an echocardiogram, but should I be getting some test work done on my kidneys as well?  Could this be Rheumatic fever?    

A related discussion, Again ASO Titre High was started.