High Fever, Severe headache, cold sweats and no answers
My 30 y.o. brother has had a fever for 7 days. It goes up to 105 and comes down to 97. He also has a bad headache, cold sweats, chills and chest pain. He's been to his doctor and was given an anti-inflammatory. He then went to the ER; there they did x-rays, cat scan, spinal tap, and blood work and was only given Tylenol. Drs told him that that they didn't know what was wrong. No one seems to be able to tell us what's wrong. They said that it wasn't Meningitis so that was good, but in the meantime, he's still very sick and weak. He's in a lot of pain (headache/body aches) and no closer to a diagnosis.. Any ideas? Suggestions?  Anyone?  please.. CynCyn

Chills and cold sweats are normal in a fever. A chill occurs because when the brain raises the body's "thermostat," the body responds by shivering to raise the temperature. Shivering produces heat in the body. Once the temperature goes up, the person often feels warm. When the fever goes away, the person may start to sweat.

From the symptoms that you have mentioned,a few possibilities that can be there are lupus,legionnaire’s disease,pneumonia,viral hemorrhagic fever,Q fever, Wegener’s granulomatosis or some malignancy.Pls discuss these options with your brother’s doctor.
Till that time,keep him well hydrated and pls keep on giving Tylenol as advised.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted on how you are doing.

Thanks for the great response.  I will continue to keep my brother hydrated and follow up with the Tylenol as well as question the drs on the illnesses you mention.  I just feel a bit hopeless that the drs haven't taken him seriously eventhough he has been maintaining a fever of over 101 for over six days. My brother seems to get better and then worse.  Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.  Cyn