Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
High Fever for 13 month old

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

High Fever for 13 month old

My grandson has had a fever 104.8 even seizured the 2 day of the fever we can get it down with bath etc but it goes back up with in 15 minutes he has been to the dr and had blood work that isnt showing anything but the doctors say he should be over it in 48 hours its a viral infection  we are going on the 5th day what should I do it goes as high as 104.8 as low as 99.9 its roller coastering  and it goes up fast what do you recommend?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
What your grandson has is febrile seizures. It is the effect of sudden rise of temperature in children. It is more common in respiratory illness like viral infection or flu, pneumonia, ear infections, or sore throats. It can also be seen in simple viral fevers.
Some medication is given to keep the fever under check. Usually the child bounces back to life in 5-6 days. Otherwise you may need to repeat blood tests.
Do everything possible to keep the fever from rising suddenly like medication on time, sponging the child when you feel the fever is rising, giving bath at such times, giving fluids as much as the child willingly sips.  
Please keep in touch with the pediatrician. Wishing the little one a speedy recovery! Take care!

Avatar n tn
GO TO THE HOSPITAL! my son had the very same thing and after blood work and 3 days they finally did a spinal tap and it was spinal meningitis! he almost died! i urge you to go asap!
that is not good.it depends on the age but you should give him advil you can cool him off by putting a fan on him and but him in shorts and and t-shirt as for the seizures there called fever siezure its normal to see that in a child or infant get them when there temp so high. for the seizure if there clonic of tonic siezure do not touch him until after because you may cause more harm than good try to make sure he lands on something counghy