High basophils count
What does a high basophils count mean? Mine was seven, looks like 2 is supposed to be the high end.
I have an old book, A Manual of Laboratory Diagnostic Tests, 2nd edition, by Frances Fischbach.  It says  this count is "used to study allergic reactions" & there is a "positive correlation" between high counts of basophils and blood histamines that are  in high concentrations.  Implications for high basophils (basophilia) they list as:

"1. Associated most commonly with granulocytic and basophilic leukemia and myeloid metaphasia"
2. Associated less commonly with
(a) Chronic inflammation
(b) Polycythemia vera
(c) Chronic hemolytic anemia
(b) Following splenectomy
(e) The healing phase of inflammaton
(f) Following radiation"

Did your doctor call you about this high basophil count yet?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
High basophil count (only basophils increased) is generally seen in allergies and worms in stool. Hence you need to rule out these two causes. It can be high in polycythemia vera and leukemia, but this would also increase the RBC and other cells. Count can also be high as a part of chronic inflammation, cancers and radiation but none of these are causes of only high basophils.
Hope this helps. Take care!
I think perhaps you meant to say, polycythemia vera would also cause an increased red blood cell count and leukemia would also cause a decreased red blood cell count?
Hi SurgiMenopause--good you asked--actually what I meant was that basophils can increase in polycythemia vera, but there is a generally increased cell count in this case with RBC increasing the most. Similarly in leukemia, the WBC and their precursors can increase and basophils may increase as part of that. Only basophil increase is seen in allergies and in worms (again due to allergies).

Thanks for asking and clarifying.

Take care!
My doctor said my blood test looked fine when he called. My WBC is below normal but RBC seems normal. The Abs. Basophil is slightly higher than the norm too. Would I be having any symptoms from this?
Thanks for your answers.
inABQ-

That is odd your doctor said fine.  Have you been ill with a virus lately?  That can knock down your WBCs- it happened to me.  There are also a number of medications that can decrease white blood cell counts.    Discovered on a website that one of the conditons that can affect basophils is leukopenia (which means a low white blood cell count below a certain number).  What is your WBC count?  Is it a little low or a lot low?

I think if you were having allergies, you'd notice things like a stuffy nose, full sinuses, watering eyes, or rash and itching- things like that.  My book says an acute allergic reaction can actually cause a decreased basophil count.  Acute is different from chronic (more than 6 months).  Worms in your stool you might have to get checked by giving a lab a stool sample.

Are you having symptoms and if so, what are they?

doctornee- You're welcome.  I see in my book, not only can white blood cell counts increase with leukemia, but in acute leukemia, they can decrease.  But also, I saw that red blood cells decrease with leukemia.
WBC is a little low (3.6 on a scale of 4 to 10.6). I see that radiation can cause high basophil counts. I had radiation for breast cancer 13 years ago. Would that still be affecting my blood count? Maybe I should see a different doctor?
I have had no illnesses, and you'd think if I had worms I'd know it. Yuk. No symptoms of anything serious. I'm a bit concerned about a thickness in breast tissue that I will have more clarity on by next week. I'm befuddled and definitely not happy that my doctor did not mention this finding in the lab work.
You know it's really tough when they don't have a standardized way of measuring and calculating whether something is low or not.  Each lab uses their own equipment and with the different machines, there are different reference ranges.   One lab on WBCs says 4 another, 4.1 another 4.3 and still another for females, 3.8 another 4.8, another 3.9.  With the 3.8 figure, it wouldn't be very far down from that figure of 3.6 at least.  I found another site that says viral infection can increase basophils and I know virus can lower WBCs, but you say you've had no illness.  Please see private message for more information you may find of interest!
My basophil count was almost 5.  Everything else was normal this time.  I have been tested and do not have allgeries but have allgery symptoms.  I just dont know what that could be.
A related discussion, blood test was started.
last year i almost had no good blood test except wbc , decided to eat healtier and now everything is perfect ,,,except basophil which now is 6,5 last year it was 0.1 , i do not know what to make of that and my doctor did not even mention it. i only noticed after i left the doctor but from what i have read about these basophils i wonder if he would be able to explain it .
A related discussion, basophil was started.