Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
High iron level
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

High iron level

I had routine chem screen done last week as part of my physical.  I am a 41 yr old female.  Results from my urine sample revealed a low grade UTI.  Results from my blood sample revealed high iron--237ug/dL but all other screens were normal.  I went back today to have it rechecked.  I was told fasting was not required so I ate breakfast and lunch before sample was taken.  Last week I ate only breakfast before sample was taken.  Question is what can the high iron mean if not HEMOCHROMOTOSIS, which my doc said was not the case.  Also, I've read serum iron can be checked regardless of fasting however, fasting is recommended.  What is your opinion?
Related Discussions
-5 Comments
Blank
I am an eighteen year old female with the same symptoms. my iron count was 246 and yet i was told i did not have hemochromatosis. did you ever find out what could cause the high iron? one of my doctors is ready to disregard the high iron, but i am having joint and muscle pain, fatigue, and a few other symptoms of high iron.
Blank
Just read your post regarding high iron.  I had mine redone a week later and it was fine.  The doc said it was simply a lab error.  Hope yours was an error as well.
Blank
My iron count last time was 700 which they say is not very high and they don't usually do phlebotomy to people with levels like that. But I was given a hemochromotosis diagnosis
I also have Cardiomyoapathy for sure on my echo.
I had bad kidney pain and chest pain for 4 years, as soon as they started the phlebotomy I felt better right away. I've had 2 so far and my pain level has decreased.
If they don't want to give you therapuetic pphlebotomy you go give some blood.
Remember it can't hurt you.
Blank
This may sound silly, but it works, take a real gold ring and rub the side of it on the top of your hand.  If you have high iron levels it will leave a dark mark where the skin is rubbed, Sound crazy? Those of you with high iron levels try it. Mine turns black. I am afraid to have it checked for fear of what they might find, plus I have no insurance so there is nothing I could do about it anyway.  I cant even afford a blood test. I found out my level was high years ago when I gave blood.  They told me I should have it checked, but I never did. Now I cant give blood because my veins roll and they cant get any blood.  But try the gold ring thing, just for fun, youll be supprised Tracy r
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979