High white blood cell count and excessive platelettes
I have just come back form my G.P and he has told my partner that her white blood cell count is very high and that she is producing excessive platelettes? He has referred her to a Hematologist which we will see in about a month. I was just wondering what would cause her counts to be high? Thanks
An increased white cell count could be due to infections, tissue necrosis, inflammation disorders, leukemia, cancer, meds (steriods, epinephrine), collagen vascular disorders and other conditions.

An increased platelet count could be due to cancer, acute infections, chronic granulocytic or myelogenous leukemia, chronic inflammation, polycythemia vera and other conditions.

PlateletGal hit it right on the head. The referral to a hematologist is the appropriate next step.
I too have been told for 2 years that I have elevated platelet counts and elevated white blood cell count. They first told me I was enemic, I even had a bone marrow biopsy and now they say essential thrombocythemia. Now I have a terrible bed sore like rash all over my back - I believe from the iron they prescribed. Did they ever find out what the cause was?