Hip pain going down the leg
I had a road accident in June 2008 and gradually have had tingling in my legs and sometimes arms, with pain in my right hip sometimes so bad I cannot walk, feels like a screw driver digging into my hip. The pain is now going down my leg around the right side of knee, feels very tight. When this happens I just have to rest then it gets better. worse for walking and sitting and exercise, better for rest and warmth. Sometimes my knee locks up and my right hand goes dead as well. Doctor has said just keep taking the painkillers, it will get better.

Sometimes I am OK though, if I have rested and recent MRI showed nothing
Can you advise

This discussion is related to Still having pain in hip going down leg into foot Mri ok.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If MRI of spine is normal and this is not sciatica then you need to look at other possibilities too. A wrong posture on a job that involves sitting for a long time too can precipitate this.
History of taking injections in the buttocks in the recent past should be looked into. A number of times old injection sites start troubling if undue pressure is put on them as in prolonged sitting.
Another possibility is ischiogluteal bursitis. This is inflammation of the bursa that lies between the ischial tuberosity and the tendon of hamstring muscle. The bursa may show inflammation without any cause or in association with hamstring tendinitis or inflammation of tendon of hamstring. The pain increases on stretching.
Myofascial pain or trigger points in the Gluteus medius muscle and Piriformis muscles can cause pain in the buttock area which may radiate to thighs. Stretching the muscle increases the pain.
Hope this helps. I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor (PCP) and get a referral for a sports clinic and consult a sports medicine specialist. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Thanks for this, my doctor is doing another MRI as he now thinks it could be the Sciatic nerve trapped, as you say, and that my previous MRI, did not go far enough down the spine, as I had two broken ribs about 4 inches from my back bone that have never healed properly and I have calcification on those so they didn't go all the way down the spine. But your comments are interesting thank you.