Hives and anemia
I was diagnostic with anemia like a month ago. Im really scared cause i have never in my life had hives until halloween 2008. At first i thought it was just a rash but then it started going all over my body. My ankles, knees, and elbows were really swollen. They are still kind of itchy, burn, and hurt. I went to the doctor he gave me some pills called xyzal. He told me to take one a day but i been taking them for two days and i feel a little better and some has gone away but my hands and feet got very swollen and hurtful. i dont know what it is and its scaring me because I've never been the type of person that has allergic reactions?

Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.Many cases of hives are "idiopathic," meaning no cause is known. Others may be triggered by viral infections or medications.

The mainstay of treatment of hives is antihistamine which may be necessary for prolonged periods (in excess of 6 weeks).Non-sedating antihistamines such as Cetirizine(zyrtec) or Loratadine(Claritin) may be needed to get symptom relief. Sedating antihistamines such as Chlorphenamine(benadryl) or Hydroxyzine are used at night to get urticaria control. Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms.
You may take Vitamin C along with the prescribed treatment. Vitamin C is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine.Application of mild corticosteroid cream is also useful.

Pls discuss this possibility and these options of treatment with your dermatologist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.

Are hives warm?