Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Humming without realizing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Humming without realizing

Hey.
My brothers got this thing where he'll hum and not realize it.  It's pretty loud, and it's not like he's humming a tune or anything.  It's just one loud long note.  We'll tell him to stop, he'll say sorry, and then 5 seconds later he could start up again.  It doesn't happen all the time.  It seems to happen more when he's by himself, like on the computer or something.  It happened once when he was younger, but we got rid of it over a summer, and now its back.
Any advice/comments/anything would be greatly appreciated!
Does anyone know what the 'technical' term, for this is at least (or at least a better description then humming without realizing)?  I've tried doing a little research about it on google, etc... but I don't get anything with the keywords that I have been searching with.

thanks again guys.
I don't understand why this is a problem.  Isn't this just a habit?  I hum without realizing.  My friends and family will tell me so.  I don't realize it when I do it.  I don't think it is terribly loud and I don't think I am offending anyone.  They tease me about it because they think it is somewhat odd but I really don't think it bothers them.  When they tease me, I think about it and try not to do it.
Like your brother, I too suffer with incessant humming. I say suffer because many times the people I care about (especially my husband), become agitated (at me) after hearing it hour after hour, day after day. I don't even realize I'm doing it, so it doesn't bother me!

As a child, my parents took me to the doctor to see if there was a problem, as they too were annoyed by my 'music.' The doctor told them that I was ADHD (back then it was called hyperactive), and the humming was due to my mind always running at full throttle. He also said that there would probably never be anything to fully occupy my mind enough to stop it. He said, even with medication it would continue. It has.

Many people are great at multi-tasking....I'm one of those. The more critical thinking projects I have to deal with, the less I hum. Mundane tasks seem to have me humming more.

Give your brother a test. Have him figure out how to use a brand new software application, and watch while he's doing it. I'll bet you see his humming dramatically decrease....until the project's over!  

If he's like me, your brother will always have to challenge himself to learn new things. Only then will he be able to outrun his mind, and quiet the hum.

Is the person on Prozac or other SSRI's? I've known a couple of people that hum monotonously and assumed it's because they're on SSRI's.
A related discussion, Constant humming was started.