Hypersensitive Cough Reflex
HELP!!!

For the past several months I've been experiencing a chronic urge to cough, like a tickle or a dry patch in the back of my throat.  It first started after I recovered from a mild upper respiratory tract infection.  It's NOT post-nasal drip or some sort of esophageal reflux--I'm not bothered by either of those things.  There's no soreness in my throat, no dryness - except that one spot in the back of my throat - and no obstruction, nor is there any chest congestion.  My wellness clinic PA thinks it's allergies, but antihistamines have had no effect.  No amount of coughing satisfies the tickling feeling, it's constant.

But here's the weird part: it only manifests when I lie down (anything lower than 50-55 degrees).  It's moderately alleviated by sore throat drops, but only for a short time.  Literally the only thing I can do that works is put a couple of throat drops in the back of my mouth when I go to bed and let them dissolve as I sleep.  But I can't sleep more than ninety minutes to a couple of hours at a time: by then the drops have dissolved and the tickling feeling returns, then put two more drops in and try to go back to sleep.  I wind up with only a few hours of broken sleep each night.  I've tried sleeping with my head elevated high enough, but I can't sleep like that (it's not comfortable, plus it makes my hips ache after a short while).

I'm at my wit's end: that damned tickling in the back of my throat will NOT go away!

HELP!!!
anxiety! you had an infection when it cleared up you remained scared because you think your throat has to be completetly clear in case your air ways close they wont because of a thing called gag reflex (airway  removal after        surgery body senses somthing in throat so it coughs either it just pop out or nurse just take away) so have u tried sleeping on your side i think this may be of help  nurse quailified  R.M.N.