I start to black out when I look over my right shoulder

I have this had this problem for as long as I can remeber. Definitley from my late teens anyway. I am now 29.

Everytime I look over my right shoulder, probably 110 - 130 degrees from facing forward, I start to black out / faint.

everything starts to go black and starry, and I feel weak. the intensity increases until I put my head back to normal position.

I have always assumed it was down to the awkward position I was putting my neck in and perhaps I was trapping a blood vessel / vain thus restricting blood flow to my brain.

Eitherway, I have never sought any help for it. just simply avoided looking over my right shoulder as much.

Problem now is, it has started happening when I tilt my head right back. I first noticed it at work while leaning back on my chair about a week ago.

I am starting to worry more now, as it feels really uncomfortable when it happens and I imagine situations where  I could be trapped in a certain postion for whatever reason, and could prove more serious for me, than say a person without an undiagnosed syptom.

Just wondered if anyone could help / advise on possible causes? advise on what to do? anyone else experience this sort of thing?

thankyou in advance,

Regards,

Michael Jones
HI...I would highly suggest u get to a dr and get an MRI to see what is going on....this is not a normal situation and if u drive u do not want something to happen when u do not turn that far....how will u know if that changes until it happens?

Get to a dr and inform them of this  and request a MRI.

Good luck
"selma"
i would definitely seek medical attention. hope this helps.
The blackouts suggest oclusion of the carotid arteries.

This, of course, is not normal.

You need a professional medical evaluation to include a dye-contrast MRA (which defines blood vessels), and MRI and an ultrasound of the carotids. One question is whether or not the interior diameter of the carotids is being progressively diminished.

The physicians will know exactly what to do.

Physicians get mad when you "request an MRI".

The drill is to present your symptoms and let them order the tests.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!

There is a chance that you have compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Alternatively you can visit a chiropractor or a physical therapist and learn some exercises which you can do to relieve the compression.
The second possibility is vestibule-cochlear disease causing dizziness with change in position of head. Consult an ENT regarding this. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Thankyou for your informed responses.

It has really opened my eyes to what I need to do.

Doctornee,
I use computers for over 14 hours day, everyday. have done for the last 5 years. My job as an Account Manager requires me to be on the phone & computer all day, and ironically, I hold the phone sandwiched between my right cheek and right shoulder! this could be a major contributing factor based on what you have said above.

I will contact my GP today and make an appointment. I will keep you all informed of outcome / results.

Again,

thankyou for your time & comments, it is gratly appreciated.

Regards,

Michael