Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
INNER THIGH CRAMPS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

INNER THIGH CRAMPS

Have been to a dozen different physicians and received a dozen different evaluations which tells me that no one really knows what this is. I have been experiencing this as all of you have related for the past thirty years. I had a short reprieve, but then it came back about six months ago.  The episodes are almost like clockwork--every 90 or so days. The pain comes on in the night when I am in bed. The pain is S E V E R E -on a scale of 1-10 it is at least a 50! I kept a log for about two years and found that it usually last anywhere from 9 to 12 mins. Then it "goes away"--the next few days, however, the thigh area is very sore and tender where the "attack" happened. I have found in my case what it is not (it is not any vitamin or mineral or electrolyte deficiency) have checked that exhaustively and all of those items are a-ok (at least in my circumstance),  It is nice to know that I am not alone or crazy.  I know what you people feel as I have experienced it myself.  Here's hoping we get some Answers.  In my case, bending forward and walking around (like trying to touch my toes--but not all the way helps)  However, DON't STAND UP again once you have bent over the pain only itensifies (as if it COULD get any worse) remaining in that position for anywhere from 9-12 min works for me then I ease up slowly and gently.   Good luck to you my friends,  Will post anything I hear and hope you will too. Despite these many people posting a similar problem it is odd that no physician has replied offering any remedy. I don't honestly think there is one!  God Bless you all
1 Comment
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Some of the important causes of muscle cramps are overextension of the muscles,overweight,prolonged standing during the day,dehydration, alterations in the balance of salts in the bloodstream (such as a high or low sodium,calcium or potassium level),neuropathy(esp in diabetes),hypothyroidism,peripheral vascular disease(narrowing of the leg arteries which causes poor circulation),sarcoidosis,excess alcohol,nerve compression, and sometimes liver disease.

Some of these causes like dehydration,being overweight,alcohol intake and prolonged standing are modifiable by efforts of the patient. Stretching and massaging the affected muscle (usually a calf muscle) can usually relieve an attack of cramp. A painkiller such as paracetamol may help to ease muscle discomfort and tenderness that sometimes persists for up to 24 hours after a cramp has gone.

My advise is to consult a physician and rule out the above medical conditions by thorough investigations as without physical examination and investigations, pinpointing a diagnosis is tough.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.