Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Im desperate for a diagnosis, can anyone help me?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hi, I am a 24 year old female from New Zealand, working in the mines in Western Australia. I first got sick in December last year when i was on my first 2 week roster in the mines. I had aching muscles, cold sweats, faint episodes, nausea and was so fatigued i could not leave my room. I had random vomiting, but it was not as consistent as my other symptoms. My supervisor took me to the local GP the next day, he saw me very briefly, prescribed me a strong antibiotic for a suspected virus and sent me back to camp. The antibiotic worked and i thought nothing more of it. Then at Christmas time back in New Zealand with my family it came on again. As well as all the other symptoms i had all over body tingles to the point where my hands cramped up so tight for about a minute my sister had to hold my water bottle to my mouth....I didnt bother seeing a GP as the symptoms wore off within 1 day. Then it hit again in late January this year when i was back in the mines, a different mine camp and site then the one i was on in December last year. It hit again, once again with all the same symptoms, only this time i had extremely swollen glands and i blacked out while walking back to my room. This time i had 4 days off work before they flew me back to Perth to see my GP here. My GP here immediately took bloods. I tested weakly positive for ROSS RIVER FEVER and my blood memory tested positive to having GLANDULAR FEVER at some point in the past. I went home happy that i had a diagnosis. A few days later i went back for follow up bloods and ironically i tested negative for ROSS RIVER FEVER...feeling baffled, i asked the dr to take more bloods in a weeks time and test for more things. So weeks on i had had more bloods taken. They very next day i was visiting a cafe where i used to work and i completely blacked out, smashing my lip then my head hard on the ground. I have no memory of the ambulance ride or getting to Perth Royal Hospital. The first memory i had was waking up in ED with my partner trying to calm me down. According to him, i had a goldfish memory for almost 4 hours, that i had vomited many times in ED, that i was uncooperative and upset and that only he could get me in my gown or encourage me to have a drip put in my arm etc. The Drs put me on the highest dosage of morphine as my muscle aches and tingles were so intense. I had a CT, MRI and Kidney scan, all came up clear. My bloods in hospital only showed a increase in white blood cells and that was it. I was discharged after being in isolation for 2 days. I since had bloods test positive for a chest infection...My Dr does not seem motivated at all to get to the bottom of it and while i have not had a relapse in 3 weeks he hasnt even touched base...Still i have the same symptoms, in a much milder form but never the less, im still not right and i dont know what is wrong with me. I have had 2 months with no work because of this and my confidence has been shot. Im so scared of blacking out again, this time not being around people i know. Please if anyone has any ideas or websites i could check out, i would really appreciate it. Kirsty
Sorry this is happening to you. Unfortunately, these symptoms can be due to a lot of things. But the fact that your WBC when up and that you had swollen lymph nodes, and the antibiotic worked may be a sign that it is a bacterial infection. So perhaps a start would be with an infectious disease doctor. If not perhaps they can point you to the correct specialist. Have you had a fever? Also, have you had low blood pressure?  The muscle cramps could be due to low potassium if you were over heated or throwing up a lot. The fainting may be due to low blood pressure. But that may be caused by a lot of things. So you need a good work up. A number of tests need to be done. Some of your description sounds like Addisons disease and other parts like an infection, then also, could be epilepsy. It does come on about your age. You could get an electroencephalogram or EEG to rule it out. It looks at the electrical part of the brain. A neurologist would order one for you. What part of the body was the CT and MRI done?  This looks at the structural part of the area you got tested. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for all that, i have booked in to see a infectious disease specialist in 2 weeks time. Its the soonest he was available. Blood pressure and iron levels have been fine and yes i have had a fever during the episodes described.

I really appreciate your reply. Thank you. Kirsty
Good, well it is a start. Let me know how it goes.
mkh9