Increase in Foul Smelling Flatulence
Hello 31 yo Femaile... haven't gone to doc yet.. trying to wait till insurance plan switches as doc will probably order a colonoscopy, so I am trying to wait till we switch to a better ins plan.  Within the past 3 months, I have flare ups of really bad foul smelling gas... like 100's of time a day (on the days it happens)  I have IBS all my life but I have NEVER had this happen

I have already tried food diary, doesn't seem to be lactose, carbonated beverages, or beans

Also I've started no new meds

Also tried probiotic supplements for 1.5 month, no change

Issues I already have and Meds I take

High Blood Pressure - Aldomet
IBS and no gall bladder - Questran
OCD - Luvox
High Triglycerides - Trilipix
Acid Reflux - Prilosec
Migraines - Max Alt Occasionally
Advil for aches and pains - Occasionally
Allergies - Allergy Injections - Weekly

I also have nodules on my Thyroid that may indicate Hashimotos but my TSH is still within normal so no treatment

Any ideas as to what this might be?  I am open to all suggestions.  
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
There are some bacteria in the gut that produce hydrogen sulfide gas. Sometimes this gas is produced in such huge quantities that the sulfide oxidase enzyme in the wall of the gut is not able to oxidize all of it and convert it to thiosulfate. This gas has a smell of rotten eggs. You need to cut down food items that contain sulfites. Most of this gas comes from sulfites a person consumes, which is a part of all preservatives. Sulfites are present in all juices, molasses, yellow dye in ready made food stuffs, and red wine. Sulfites are present in lesser amounts in mashed potatoes made from dry powder, pickles, tinned shrimp, cookies, crackers, and readymade pie dough. If you have been taking these things in a good amount, then cut down the intake. Also take a lactobacillus preparation and yoghurt with your meals. In all probability the smell will go. Certain food items like cabbage, radish, turnip and certain meat products too cause a foul smell in stool and cutting down these food items also helps.  If it persists, then talk to your doctor. Other causes will have to be looked into such as intestinal infection, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, short bowel syndrome, malabsorption syndromes, chronic pancreatitis or hepatitis and cystic fibrosis. You will need to consult a gastroenterologist then. Hope this helps. Take care!
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!