Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Index main joint red, swollen and painful - thorn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Yesterday I was pruning my Berberis (it has very hard and long thorns), wearing gloves. A thorn pierced my glove and went into the joint at the base of my index finger.  I took my glove off and could see a small red mark where it had pierced the skin. It hurt but similar to getting a bad splinter. There was no sign of anything in the skin.  By a few hours later the joint was aching quite a bit but I could still use it.  By night it was quite swollen and red, and it was painful to move my index finger at all.  Today it has been aching all day and getting more swollen. It is now 9.45pm and it is getting extremely painful.  I have hardly any range of motion with it at all without intense pain. It feels and looks hot.
Should I go and get it checked out? I am currently awaiting a rheumatology appointment as my left knee has been very swollen for over 6 weeks, and xrays and MRI have shown nothing. I had a corticosteroid injection in it 3 weeks ago. My right knee has also started to swell in the last few days.  I am sure that this finger joint is to do with the thorn though!
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
This swelling and pain could be due to reactive arthritis, injury, a piece of thorn remaining inside, injury to ligament or due to infection. Please get this evaluated immediately. Meanwhile apply cold compress and take an anti-inflammatory to reduce pain and swelling. Take care!