Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Inflammation of Carotid artery and neck pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

About six months ago my left neck began to hurt and I noticed what I thought was a lump there. I went to a head and neck specialist and he said that I had inflammtion of my Carotid artery(Carotidynia).  The lump, I guess, was just the bifurcation of my artery that was swollen. The doctor told me to take an anti-inflammatory(ibuprophen) for 2 weeks. The pain finally diminished, but about a month later it started in my right neck. The pain now runs all the way down my neck and into my shoulder and right chest a bit.  It especially hurts if I apply pressure to my pulse(Carotid artery).  It feels like inflammed nerves or something. So, I went back to another doctor and he gave the same diagnosis. He said unfortunatley the cause is unknown. Now I am on a stronger anti-inflammatory. I just want to know the cause so it won't come back. I also got blood work and a head and neck xray completed, but am still waiting for results. Has anyone ever had this?  Any similar symptoms?  Should I be more concerned? Thanks
I have the same thing going on, just about 2 days ago i had an intense pain in the right side of my neck over my carotid artery and then the next day i felt a lump which caused me to believe it was swollen.  The lump is still there and the pain is too, i haven't been to a specialist just my family doctor who told me arteries don't get inflammed.  Then i saw this website and realized that he must have been wrong, anyway i know what you are experiencing and it is no fun!
My doctors said that it is just the outer lining of the artery that is inflammed.( nothing to do with the inside).  I have been on anti-inflammatories for 3 weeks now and it still hurts. Does yours hurt worse when you press on your pulse?  Let me know if you find out anything else about this condition.
I just had this happen to me.  It began about 3 weeks ago and come on rather suddenly.  I am now on prescription strength Motrin.  I am interested in knowing your results.

Thank you,

mst2
I had the same thing about a year ago. My internist placed me on steroids, antibiotics, pain meds, and cough med. All my symptoms were pain over my left carotid artery, I had a cough that was almost constent, I could hardley turn my head, I could not lie in bed on my left side, you could look at my neck and see my pulse pounding, I had pain from my ears all the way down my shoulder. I first went to a nurse practioner who said it was all my ears and to take mucinex. I did so but continued to get orse which is when I seen my internist. She was flipping out about how bad it was and wanted me in the hospital, I refused and did meds. I was on steroids for 30 days. I have been fine until now. My symptoms started again yesterday and I go see my internist this week. SO maybe you should find an internist and good luck I think it is more serious then some doctors are acting. Hope this helps.
Hi everyone.

Has anyone had a thryoid check? My Dad (age 53), also went through this about 2 years ago. However, his GP is an amazing guy, and sent him for some blood tests and scans. It turns out that he had "nodules" (cysts) on his thryoid, which were causing his neck to swell and inflame everything around it. He also had trouble swallowing sometimes, and coughed alot (especially when laying down.) As his were, usually these nodules are benign, but do have to be removed if they're causing breathing troubles. He made it through the surgery fine. He does still have some nodules on the other side of his thyroid, but they haven't grown & aren't causing problems, so they will just stay there. I'm not saying that any of you have nodules, but if the steroids aren't helping, or it keeps coming back, etc., I would say that going to an endocrinologist wouldn't be an over-reaction.Hope that helped.
This same thing has been going on for almost a year now for me. I just turned 40 (male). A few months ago I went to my Primary Doctor and he said my Right Carotid Artery was inflamed. It is very painful to the touch and almost throbs with heartbeat. He wrote a script for a low dose of prednisone. The pain almost always goes away within a two week period, whether I take something or not, but I am very concerned as to why this is happening and if here is something else I need to address with my Doctor. I am in good health otherwise. Is this something I now have to just live with???
I was diagnosed in Oct., 2008 with caratidinia and given steroids and antibitics.  It helped.  BUT  my concern is that 2 months later, i went to my doctor with a cough that I just cannot control and now pain on the opposite side exactly like the right side and he tells me I have it again, on the other side.   I THOUGHT THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE RARE???????   so how did it come back so soon and now on the opposite side?  I refuse to go back to reg. dr., he can refer me to another doctor.   wanted to tell you I sweat like a lizard at night and sometimes during the day.   My eyes have also gotten really inflammed and itchy, and soar?  I don't know .  I am a healthy 45 yr old, 5 7 and weigh within my range.  sorry that you feel like ****.  I hope you will know where to go from here and let us all know.
OMG, just came from the dr. with the same thing, he told me to take Aleve 3 times a day....I also have a bad cough and was diagnosed today with high blood pressure and asthma....what in the heck is going on.......I am quite frightened......he did an EKG just to rule out a heart attack and some blood work, said it was routine testing but I wonder?!?!?!
Follow up...

So $$$$'s later and the Doctors still do not know what is causing me to have these pains so often. The only thing they have said is that most people get this once, maybe twice, during their lifetime and never again. Usually treated with over the counter Ibuprofen to help with the inflammation. I have it this four times in the past year and they just don't know why. I hope I have had the last episode already. Blood work shows slightly high sugars and CT shows nothing. Go figure.
check for lymph nodes, floating lymph nodes due to sinus and throat irritation, also I had aprocedure done a radiofrequency procedure on facet joints, cleared my problem right up.  If you have inflamation (inflammation) with your facet joints it could be the cause
go to A pain specialist, (anesthesiologist-pain dr) and search into facet treatment, with radiofrequency, this helps with disc trouble, facte trouble, and all other causes of pain in neck.  It is very beneficial to those in chronic pain and meds do not help.  I have multiple disc herniations, impingement etc and now after I had this procedure done I am pain free.  You can have this procedure done to avoid certain surgeries.  Refer to Dr Gorfine website in Palm Beach, FLorida.  
ok I went to chiropractor had my neck poped and then by time i got home my eyes were blooded shot and i couldnt stand neck pain was so bad went to the dr and they had to send me to eye dr i had Uveitius in my eyes (eye inflamation (inflammation))in both eyes and had to wear neck brace . couldnt stand for my head to sit on my neck . so now im wondering if the neck being pop is what is causing the eye inflamtion. my neck is still killing me been dealing with this for 2 yrs and i cant seem to get any Dr to believe me. this all started when i got my neck popped. has this every happened to anyone else. they cant seem to get my inflamtion to go away in my eyes. im feel like im at a dead in.
im experiencing the same thing, but no cough really, i do have pain in my mid-back that started about a week or two ago, then i woke up one morning and had a pain on the artery on my right side. It specifically hurts when i look straight up then turn to the right....I also feel discomfort going into my right check, i though it was tonsilitus, but i did a light workout and stretched alot, im  hoping that helps........by all the posts this seem to be kinda comon,......has anyone had the condition worsen????
I was just diagnosed last week with the same thing.  Horrible pain.  I also had a massive ear infection on top of it.  I have put together symptoms and realize I have had this a long time.  I though it was my neck where I have a herniated disc.  On 30 days of steroids, pain meds and sleeping pills.  At least I have a compassionate ENT who diagnosed it straight off.  I swear he knew before the placed a hand on me.  I had been mentioning the swelling just below my jaw and behind my ear for what seems like forever and it was just ignored.  I read that it may take up to 2 years on steroids to completely clear.  All I know is this sucks, sorry but it does.  I know you guys understand.  
I could say "Ditto" to all of the above; however, in addition to the swelling on the right side of my neck and the pain/sensitivity, I also have had this huge, loud pulsing in my head.  Large doses of Ibuprofen have lessened the pulsing, but it is unnerving and wearing me out.  I'm waiting for the results of blood work to determine if I need Prednisone, but don't want to go on it if I can help it.  Will the Ibuprofen do the same thing?  When does the neck pain stop and the swelling go down?
Went golfing on Sun. felt fine, that evening my neck on the left side started getting sore, at first I thought I pulled a muscle, next day extreme pain on left side carotid area, felt like I had a massive swolen gland, but none there.  I went to a NP she thought pulled muscle, I mentioned maybe parathyroid? so she did blood work, nothing there but pain got worse, so today I went back and a different NP along with a Dr. They examined me and diagnosed as Arteritis.  She is sending me for a neck ultrasound this week... my pain ranges from a 2/3 to 8/9 out of 10, at the low range it's tough to pinpoint, at it's worse, it is intense from below ear to just above collar bone.  Tylenol or advil does give good relief, but not total, she is putting me on Naprosyn 500mg 2x day.
I'm M 42 non smoker, active... Freakin me out.  She did say it's rather common, extremely painful, and tough to diagnose specifically, only rule out other things and treat... I feel ya'lls pain...literally.  
Me too.  Mine started when I was approx. 40 y.o.  Currently 48 y.o. female, non-smoker. not overweight. Interesting to note that another individual who posted at this site also has slightly elevated blood sugar.  Went to the ER, MD gave steroids to take.  Another Dr. recommended  Ibuprofin for the pain and swelling.Will go long periods with no problems.  Most current episode started 2 days and I also have a bad cough.  It was interesting to note that others have that same commonality.  I also experience great fatigue when the pain starts. Pain is in neck, jaw, ear, and temple areas. Had an ultrasound done on both the caratid arteries and no plaquing was evident. Very concerning.  This is the first time I found anything specific about Carotidynia.
My husband has been having constant headache pain for over 2 months--the doctor diagnosed him with carotid artery inflammation and we have been searching for more answers for which we're not having a lot of luck. Our primary care physican says he has only seen two cases of this and has prescribed anti inflammatories which haven't helped a lot other than make him nauseus. He has sweating episodes, cold extremeties also and wondering if anyone else is experiencing this at all?  He's tried sleeping with different pillows at night for some relief, but nothing seems to help. We are thinking of going to Mayo (which is only 40 minutes away) to see if we can get some answers. Has anyone else been there yet?  
He has no cough either that some of you others have mentioned--ear ache, head ache, pulsing, and nausea but there just doesn't seem to be any answers.
I dealt with recurring carotid pain for years before discovering that in my case it was actually a form of migraine. If I catch it in the first couple of minutes, two Excedrin may work. If I wait too long, the Excedrin won't work. Then a single dose of Imitrex eliminates it within an hour. It is miraculous!
my husband was diagnosed about a month ago with inflammation of his carotid artery on his left side he was prescribed anti-inflamatorys and told by our family doctor that this was rare a couple of days ago he started to have pain on his right side sore throat burning up at night called our doctor they put him on anti inflammatorys again if this is so rare how  has he got it in both sides of his neck and from what i have been checking out on the web inflammation of the atery could mean plaque build up he also gets headaches that last for days  has anyone out there got a definite diagnosis because i am worried my husband could have a stroke or heart attack
hello out there,, please i need help to this,, i discovered a small ballike inflammation on my left side of the neck at about 3 years though it wasnt hurting then,, went to a gp and he told me its just a normal inflammation i wondered then,,,,normal inflammation?? after 3 years i i discovered another on the right side which doesnt take up to 3 weeks before it started paining me and to worsen it the former one on the right side of the neck started paining me as well all i have been given by my doctor is diclofenac,, but it isnt working especially now that i am having the burning pain on all my neck and recently i have been having my pulse and almost most part of my body palpitating so loud and fast even to me hearing especially at the back of my neck....please help me what is this,,, im confused and cry over this sometimes because this is the first time in my lifei would be having problem with my health,.....help me,,,,,,
Hi, I am a 31 yr old female and also have severe neck pain on the right side of my neck in the carotid area for 3 days now.  It radiates into my jaw, shoulder and right arm. I went to Emergency room yesterday where they did several back,chest & neck xrays and also a carotid doppler. They said there were no tears or blockage in my carotid artery and all xrays and blood work came back fine. They sent me home with a diagnosis of Arthritis and a script for motrin and vicodin. There is no visible inflammation on my neck but the pain is unbeleivable! It seems to worsen when Im up moving around (as when my heart rate increases) its like i can feel my pulse in that area and its painful. I didnt know that arthritis in the neck would cause you to feel pain when your heart rate increases. Im terrified that they missed something in the tests they ran. The pain has worsened and it does not go away with prescription motrin.
Hi, like you all i am experiencing the same pain in my back neck (Left side) and its been now seven years.....Initially, it started from vertigo and now i get the pain and the vertigo as well. This vertigo can last for about 1hr and it happens to me generally every morning. I went to doctors and till now nobody had been able to diagnose the real problem.
Can any help me? Its a real hell.....

Thanks in advance
I am on my second bout of the inflamed carotid artery syndrome (2 years to the month apart).  I have looked into it and there is no definitive diagosis for cause.  The common belief is a viral infection.  Since I get hayfever in spring and use Flonase and that drug can cause upper respritory infection, I have to wonder if drug promotes the problem.  In any case as uncomfortable as it can be, it isn't fatal and only lasts a week or so wtih anti-inflamatories.  Good luck all.
Last week it started with my right shoulder feeling tight and sore. By Friday morning I was in severe pain and my neck was swollen.  Sounds crazy, but if I touched the carotid artery it got much worse.  I went to the doctor Friday afternoon and he said there was inflammation around the carotid artery. I was/am also suffering from extreme anxiety, something I've never had a problem with. He put me on Celebrex (anti-inflammatory for my neck and gave me Zoloft and Xanax for the anxiety.  I've been sick much more often in the last six months, probably due to a horrible work environment (new boss).  My doctor didn't know how or why my neck has suddenly swollen.  But it worries me a lot and my husband is really concerned.  I feel like my healthy is spinning out of control.  I'm still having severe neck pain and my should is still pretty stiff.  I wish someone could tell me exactly what's happening and why.
I had a cat scan and some other ex-rays done about 6 months ago. Every since then I have pain in my right side artery in my neck area. It only comes on when I am active, such as walking or lifting etc. I also get it on my left side but not as strong. There is not any swelling just pain. I have not gone to the doctors yet. But it does worry me.
Recently I have been having LEFT carotid pain, some dizziness and temporory memory loss that comes and goes. I haven't told my doctor yet but I will at my September appt.
A few years ago, during my every 3 months check-up, my internal MD heard the noise in my arteries (with a stethoscope) called a "burit" which is an abnormal sound). He ordered a corotid doppler test.  From the results of that he ordered a MRA...(this one is of the carotid arteries) He told me that the report reveiled that I had blockage in both carotid arteries of about 75%. After that, a yearly MRA was done.  In the early part of 2007, I began to complain to him of hearing my heart beat loudly behind my RIGHT ear drum, inside my head. He gave me a nasal decongestant.  That did not help at all.  The POUNDING inside my head behind the  RIGHT ear drum continued all that year and was VERY annoying. When my yearly MRA was done in Nov. 2007.  The radiologist reported "no stenosis".  I thought that was strange....but I had been praying for God to heal me, and I accepted that I was "healed".  I soon began to have severe dizzy spells for a short period.  My RIGHT eye would loose its vision by becoming distorted for about 5 min. then clear up.  This is called "amaurosis fugax". When I reported this to my doctor, he said I had to go see a vascular surgeon ASAP.  I was so close to having a life threatening stroke!!!  Jan 31, 2008. A carotid doppler was done. The vascular surgeon said my RIGHT carotid was 97% occluded and I needed to have the endarterectomy right away. (Left carotid was around 76% occluded)  Feb. 6, 2008, that surgery was done.  There has not been any more blurred vision, vertigo nor a heart beat, heard inside my head since.  I have wondered if its time for me to have the LEFT endarterectomy done. High cholesterol can and will clog your major arteries. It has happened to me. I have an excellent internal medicine doctor who takes good care of my health.  I hope this will keep any of you from having a terrible stroke!  Get a carotid doppler done!!! .
I saw an ENT today for severe left neck pain. It is worse when I am standing, and radiates up to the cheek and down my left shoulder and into my left arm. The doctor said the carotid artery was inflamed and prescribed a nine day course of prednisone.  I  started the prednisone tonight along with 3 advil and the pain is already much, much better. My doctor told me that there is an 80% chance this treatment will resolve the problem, but there was a 20% chance that  it might return and I might need another course of prednisone.  The little bit of reading I have done so far seem to point to a viral cause.  This may sound crazy, but have any of you guys had dental work, or teeth cleaning around the time of the onset of your neck pain? I know there has been some link between  dental work and heart disease- just a crazy thought.
about 2 years ago i noticed the swelling in my neck.  i had recently lost a significant amount of weight and honestly thought maybe it had always been there i just didnt notice it because i was so heavy.  so after my dr checked it out she sent me to a surgeon and they both agreed it was a swollen lymph node and wanted me to get a CT scan and possibly a needle biopsy.  i had the CT scan done and it showed 2 growths, when i went in for the needle biopsy i was overcome with emotion, the needle etc and couldnt handle the procedure.  so i unfortunately avoided the dr and didnt mention it when i would go.  it didnt get larger but its always been uncomfortable.  this past month i went to the dr for a physical and she felt the lump and wanted me to go to an ENT.  being i've maintained my weightloss and will be 33 this year i want to take better care of my body so i went to the ENT.  like alot of you she told me that "its just how youre made"  nothing to worry about and just take a motrin 3xs a day and you'll be fine.  i'm sure the look on my face was priceless but she quickly got the idea that i wasnt impressed with take a motrin and you'll be fine.  after asking more questions she then told me that the motrin wont cause the swelling to go down but will help with the pain.  well i do care about the pain but definitely want to know more about the cause of this and treatment so it can go down.  i will definitely keep you posted on any info i get.  i am going for another CT scan this thursday and hope the results will determine if its a node or the artery
i am having the same pain in my neck and it goes to my eye and into my shoulder . vision is blurry in right eye and i have 20/20 vision . if i push on my eye or neck it hurts but it kinda goes away alittle i haven't been to anyone yet but it does cause a migrane (migraine) it went away but its back after about a month
I went to the family doctor at last about my pain in my neck. Again it mainly comes on when I am active like walking. He too said it was nothing to do with my pulse and put me on Celebrex for inflammation. He said to get some exrays done on my neck. I told him I would rather wait but the pills do not help the pain at all. I am on Diovan for heart  and Metoprolol also Levothyroxin (levothyroxine) for Thyroid. I can not believe there is so many of us with it and can not find out what it is. Please keep us posted if any results. Thanks
I went to my ENT this morning and she told me NOT to touch my carotid artery any further because it makes the pain worse. I do agree because many times I touch it and sometimes the pain becomes a throbbing sensation after I touch it. I believe I got the problem right after I had my teeth cleaned six months ago and I believe I obtained a bacteria infection of some sort and further it has developed into inflammation of my carotid artery. THe doctor says that eventually it will go away but it may take a long time and that meanwhile pain medication should be taken as needed. I took an antibiotic a few months ago and it went away briefly but came back so I know that antibiotics may not cure it at all.  I am going to stick it out and see what happens and hopefully I won't have to resort to steroids to cure it all completely.
I have not experienced much pain, but started coughing in May and experienced extremely dry mouth.  Each visit they diagnosed (or tried) something different.  Allergies, post nasal drip, acid reflux, virul pneumonia etc., etc., etc.  Was put on antibiotics for 14 days, lost 15 pounds, got somewhat better, but cough did not go away.  About 2 weeks ago I started feeling like something was in the side of my neck and when I talked a lot or raised my voice at all, I could feel it and it felt like a round ball in the left side of my neck.  It's not so much painful, but I become hoarse and start coughing.  Dr. has referred me to ENT after CT of lungs and bloodwork came back all okay.  He suspects a nodule on my tracheal tube.  I cough so much at night, I don't sleep more than 20 - 30 minutes at a time as I wake up choking.   I see ENT on Tuesday.  When I push on area of neck below my jaw, pain shoots up to my ear (ear ache almost daily), and shoots down my throat.  The last 2 days I have been experiencing severe headaches and also worry about stroke.  No one seems to be overly concerned with all of this over the last 4 months, except me.  I have had a total of 5 visits with 2 different doctors with no results.  Hope to find answers soon.
I have had inflammation of the carotid artery for 3 yrs. now and have been to 6 different doctors.  Two of them said carotidynia and prescribed neurotin which takes the pain away but doesn't help the inflammation plus you have to have liver tests done periodically when you're on that. Now I have an appointment with a vascular surgeon and hope he has some answers since I'm worried mainly about the swelling.  It's worse when my heart rate increases or if I touch it too much.  The pain radiates up to my ear and eye.  I've had so many allergy problems in my life and wonder if it's not from a viral infection.  So many of you have these same symptoms I have.  One ENT told me it was just a kink in my artery and to "just live with it"!!!  I'm looking forward to the appt. with the vascular guy.
Interesting thread......I've been to 16 Doctors and I still don't have a diagnosis but this is what I got.  Before the onset, I had both an upper respiratory infection that caused me shortness of breath and a lot of dental work.....onlay on back molar that took them 5 weeks to get it right.

Started as a strange strangulating sensation in my throat and then the sensation of an object in my throat.  11 months later, it has now progressed to pain from my jaw to my clavicle.  It radiates down my left side to my breast.  When the carotid artery is pressed, it almost makes me want to throw up.  There is nothing apparent on MRI's or CAT scans.  Artery looks and feels fine.  They've been treating me for Superior Laryngeal Neuralgia with Lyrica and a nerve block but I've had no success.  They discovered a Thyroid Nodule on my left side with imaging so I'm having that looked at but the Endo suggested Carotidynia as a possiblility.  This is the second time Doctors have thrown this term at me.  I also have hoarsness, cough, weird to swallow at times, dry throat and shortness of breath with exercise and on occasion.  I started taking Motrin 4 x 3 times per day as an experiment to see if I get any relief.  It's creepy and I want it to end!!!!!!!  Otherwise, I'm very healthy.  This "thing" has also caused me extreme anxiety, insomnia, and casting a shadow on my life.
I have had reoccuring short sharp jabbing pains in my left carotid for some time now but worse lately. No knot or other symptoms but right at the pulse point and very painful. Will come and go for quite some time before going away and then returning...Has anyone else had this without the swelling or other symptoms??  I am 60 with a strong history of heart disease, controlled cholesterol and normal results of last carotid doppler test a couple of years ago.  Please share any ideas.
Thanks for any input.   Buni from KY
I have had headpressure headaches for 3 months that started from viral infection. Then about two weeks ago I had that same strangulation feeling in my neck and now my right carotid artery is buldging. I went to the ENT and he said that it's due to the headpressure headaches that I've been having. He said nothing to worry about. However, I plan to see a neurologist this monday and see what he says about it. I have been to two general practicioner doctors, one ENT, and atleast 4 neurologists since the head pressure headaches started. No one seems to understand why I'm having them, only that it started out viral. It not only ruined my summer but is ruining my life. I have become anxious and am on anti-anxiety meds, pain meds and now a sleep aid. Before this I was very healthy and hardly ever got a cold. I jogged 3 to 4 times a week and worked out 2-3 times a week. Now I can't even walk fast or do hardly anything due to chronic headpressure headache and now my neck hurts too, which feels like a nerve constantly being pinched. The lump on my neck, I was told was my carotid artery. I feel your pain!
I'd be interested to know what they discover with you.  I don't get head aches but the nerve running next to my Carotid Artery is definently involved.  It has also made all the muscles in my neck extremely tight.  I'm in Physical Therapy now to loosen the muscles in my neck and upper torso.  Motrin experiment added no relief so I'm now taking Lyrica and Cymbalta for pain.  So far, I am not impressed with results.  I also power walked 5-9 miles per day.  I only go on the weekeneds now with my husband as my neck muscles get so tight that it makes me wheeze and the nerve irritates my vocal cords.  Yes, it is a nerve being pinched, compressed or something and it's the creepiest feeling ever.  I can't believe I have endured it this long!!!  My normally half dead BP is through the roof.....I wonder if months of pain and anxiety could be the reason :)?
Entire year 1998 was insanely stressful - job-related.  In 1999, I almost had neck surgery due to the great suffering for one year - they said I had 3 herniated cervical discs.  Funny thing happened, May 1999 I was fired and 10 days later my neck popped in the middle of the night and all the pain went away entirely.  Miracle!

A stressful periord started-up about 3 years later and my neck "gave out" on me again but went away after several months.

Another stressful period started-up about 3 years later; awful radiating neck pain returned but went away a few months later.

About a week ago my neck started hurting again; now beginning to radiate down my left arm as usual and causing some numbness and tingling in left arm.  I believe I lifted something heavy I don't recall or some underlying stress is attacking me again.

HERE'S THE DEAL...yesterday this weird pain & swelling appeared around my left carotid artery.  I have been under some stress (and on a low-carb diet for the last three weeks - maybe some influence there also!) but I can't help but think this "painful left carotid" thing is just another symptom due to my "pinched cervical discs" or just plain old "stress."  

I participated in this blog to draw attention to two-2 possibly viable reasons for this issue:  (1) painful and/or inflammed carotid area may be due to herniated cervical discs - with physical cause and/or stress cause alone, and (2) from my other readings I have gathered that some individuals on low-carb diets have some carotid "experiences."

I usually don't take anything for the neck pain stuff but after reading this blog and some contemplation; I believe I'll try some ibuprofen, drink alot of water, ...and eat a piece of cake.

I have just discovered a lump on my carotid pulse area, it's not painful at all, my GP is referring me to an ENT specialist but only as routine, I am female age 35, he said he would be very surprised if it is anything sinister, but I am very worried about this.
i have had this pain off  and on for over 5 years. when this first happened ,i told  my doctor and he just dismissed it because i already  had an ekg that came back normal. he now  ignors my complaints and talks about other things., i don't think he has any idea what this is. i have stopped telling him about my pain and just put up with it until it goes away.
I feel better knowing I am not alone with this pain in the neck.  It started about 3 years ago on the left side..  At the time I had several sudden loss of vision episodes in my left eye that lasted 5 to 10 minutes over a 3 month period.  I have had non stop ringing in my left ear for the past 3 years too.  Just this past week I had a new experience with a helicopter like sound in my head behind my left ear.  A few nights later it went to the right ear but nothing since then.  Heart palpataions several times in the last year.  Went on Crestar 10 mg 2 years ago and got that issue under control.  I am otherwise the picture of health as I eat right and work out.  I am 52 but feel much younger.  Untill I read what I just wrote.  Geez....Had a CT scan last year that showed a blockage of .3 which is good.  Had a MRI of the brain that came out clear.  Had a EKG that looked good too.  So what's wrong?  Not sure what road to take now.  I guess live with it but I can't help worrying about it which is not good either.  Best of luck to all of you.        
I have had pain for 12 years.  This pain is in the carotid artery area of the neck and in the cheek / upper right dental area.  I also get occasional pain in the back of the neck.  I get a lot of inflamation (inflammation) now...under my right arm...my neck...my cheek  even down to my entrie right side inflamation (inflammation) increases depending on what I eat.  I am currently taking Omega 3 supplements, magnesium, and vit B and am feeling better w/the inflamation (inflammation) subsiding.  I have had such a long road..with this pain...living with it.  I've had tried many RX and couldn't handle the stuff....the Omega's are really working well....do a google search and read up on balancing omega 3 to omega 6's.  It is an entire new concept to control inflamation (inflammation) & keep your sugar not spiking as well as lower your cholesterol.. I am taking cinamin caps and there is a lot of good studies done to back it up.....keep stuying, tina
Wow this is an amazing thread and I am glad I stumbled upon it because I was starting to think I had something really bad.  

Mine started with neck pain, shoulder pain.  Then started to get headaches up on side of my head and face behind one eye and causing blurred vision.  Then all of a sudden I started to have a burning feeling from my collar bone to right under my ear and sometimes my ear would burn.  At first I thought it was nerve pain but it feels so deep that I was concerned it could be something else.  I too have swelling episodes, it only swells a little though on the side of my neck.

I will mention this to my doctor next time I see him and see what he thinks...thank you all!  
I ended up in E.R. cpl wks ago with sharp jabbing pain in left scapula.  I'm70, so was concerned it was a symptom of heart probs.  I was in E.R. 4.5 hrs and all kinds of tests were ran and I was being observe all that time.  Sent home with 'non-cardac pain'  Since then am having dizzy spells, S.O.B. What feels like asthma, and, at diferent times, one or both carotid arteries are painful and burn /sting...sometimes radiating to base of skull to c. spine.  My rt arm sometimes hurs and burns from shldr to fingertips.  Get cold extremities, headache, nausea, most of the time.After reading these posts, I think I may have nerve or disc impingement of c.spine.  I had cardio workup in January and evrything was near perfect. My lymph glands have been swollen for months.  I do have an Asymptomatic Brain Tumor in left back occipital area, but it's not been a problem at all, and has been there for nearly 20 years neurosurgeon says.  My BP goes up & down like a rollercoaster, I can feel it, and know when it's happening.  That's the part that bothers me !  If I make it thro the wkend, I wll be going to my neurosurgeon who's keeping eye on Ependymoma.  I guess there's a possibility it could've started growing.  But I have pain at bottom left skull/c.spine all time.  That could point to a Migrainal Syndrome.  So much pain, so many choices !!!!  Anyone any thoughts???  hanks Jan
Pain in the artery can probably be relieved with 800mg of Vit E a day since it takes the pain out of my varicose veins--each day.

Two 1000mg tabs of Vit C with each meal (Linus Paulings study) with help with inflamation (inflammation) urinary problems and aging.

EDTA is a compably inexpensive way to clear the blood vessels throughout the body of plaque and heavy metals by tying them up and excreting them from the body. They claim it only takes a few weeks with the liquid and a few months with the oral pills.  Do an internet search on EDTA and read about it.
I had an inflamed carotid artery about 4 times, each time it lasted about 2 weeks.  However, I noticed it occured a couple of times after eating things with peanuts or peanut butter, within 20 minutes in one case.  So I quit eating peanuts or peanut butter and now I have no symptoms.  Seems like an odd coincidence but not eating peanuts is a small price to pay.

Doctors tend to say that it occurs on the outside (not inside) of the carotid artery; how do they know?  I would recommend that anyone with this symptom get a "high sensitivity C-Reactive Protein" test to see if they have arterial inflammation.  If so, treatment by Statins will take care of it and reduce cholesterol, and as a byproduct will reduce your probabilty of heart attack or stroke by about 50% per the JUPITER statin study.
I'm 52, in great shape and so far, no illnesses such as high BP or CV diseases...other types that come with age. Now, here in Aug., I had similar. Vertigo, tightness of the neck, slightly elevated glucose. Doc just gave me meds for vertigo, but that's just a Band-Aid for a much larger wound, ya know. I didn't take the med. I've had unsual muscle strains since.

I thought I had strained my neck from sleeping, but it is related to the vertigo. This has happened twice. Left side. I've taken some anti-biotics, and NSAIDs along with another anti-inflammatory.

Here's what I found in common. I went to Ft. Benning, GA. Twice it has happened over there. Second time, I was there at Ft. Benning  8 hours. ONLY 8 hours. (I just went to pick up my daughter.). The other things I could find in common didn't make sense, except eating at the PX. food court. Same choice both times. Some kind of chicken wrap.

Perhaps location or food choices we may have in common? This scared the HLL out of me the first time it happened. Now, I'm used to it and sometimes I think it's gone but in reality, it is just not as intense.
Perhaps I should also add that the first time it lasted 6 weeks. Gone until I went back in Oct. Going on my third week. No telling what it may be, but hopefully, there's not going to be any long term effects.

I did notice when I take an anti-histimine, it seems to subside. I WANT A CURE! LOL
Well, all the dizziness came to an end Dec 7, 2008. Exactly 42 days after it started, just like the first time. I have been free for 7 days!! This time, I won't make the joke of saying I miss it.

I still have a little carotid artery pain, but it is very difficult to say if it is the muscles around it because of previous neck problems. I used Zyrtec and Motrin for the past 2 weeks.

It had to be something I picked up from the fastfood court at the PX in Ft. Benning, GA.

Now, I'm afraid to get any fastfood.
Wow. About 10 yrs ago I woke up and had a pain in the left side of my neck that was unbearable. I couldn't move my head without agonizing pain. well, it turned out it was my carotid artery.  The pain came and went for a few wks. I had a cat scan done and there was something a small growth, a cyst, nothing they could really figure out on it. My Dr sent me to an ear nose and throat Dr. He told me something very interesting that at the time made no sense. He said that this kind of pain and  small lump could be related to RA.
I had blood work done about 5 yrs before that did point to changes in my immune system but nothing specific.  In 2001 I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis..and immune disorder much like RA in the way it effects ones body and joints. I'm wondering if any of you here had a Dr make the connection between the pain in the artery and an auto immune disease?
I looked this up recently because I'm starting to get the pain back again...nothing as bad as it used to be but enough to make me go on the internet and research it.
I'm amazed there are many of you here with the same problem.
just checking back the pain did go away for a little while but is back about 2wks now i went to an ear nose and throat dr that would be a (hoof and mouth dr) which is sending me to get a cat scan w contrast who thinks it is a pinched nerve in the neck?????? i 'll  keep you posted
     I had this thing with the inflamation (inflammation) in my neck about 3 yrs ago.
I was told my carotid artery was inflamed. I took strong insaids drugs and steroids. thankfully it went away.

However its back out of no where. Also in the last 3 yrs i have put together a list of every time I was sick and any allergic reactions I have had.  And Im headed to the Doctor, because I believe that I may have Lupus or some disorder.

People with Lupus suffer from the same inflamation (inflammation). I have inflamation (inflammation) in my joints in my hands. It feels like burning. Ive also had trouble with my lungs, and that is another symptom of Lupus. Also I have red like patches on my cheeks that look like another symptom of Lupus. I was told 3 yrs ago that I had Irritable Bowel Symdrome, and stomach trouble is one of the main things wrong with people that suffer with the Lupus disease.

If I were you I would start looking back, at previous sickness or stuff you never told your Doctor and see if you have any of the symptoms for autoimmune disorders, (I may have spelled that wrong).

I hope your inflamation (inflammation) goes away  quickly. God Speed.
hello i did not understand the call for the cat scan so i went back to my family doc and she exlpained . there are nerves that run through the face and down the carotid artery .the cat scan w contrast is to see if there is some type of mass or something pushing on the nerve . the one thing that seems to work some is a shot of toradol 2cc .the pills don't seem to the trick but the injection helps . it is an anti-inflamitory . i can still feel the pain in my neck but not so much in my eye .she also had put me on neurontin to see if it helps w the nerve pain . will keep posting until i find out what is going on...
I too have been experiencing this pain, since october of 2004, when my son had kawasaki, It comes on every 3 months like clockwork.  I have had blood work, ct scans, doppler ultrasound, and all have turned up normal.  I finally went to a endocrin, thought it was my thyroid for sure, he ruled it out with additional blood work and a ultrasound, and sent me to a cardiologist.  I had a echo and ekg done, both came back abnormal, they said my ejection fraction is 35% (the overall heart muscle is weak)  they started me on accupril, but since I already have low blood pressure, I cannot tolerate the medicine.  The cardiologist suspects thoracic outlet syndrome, I was treated for it in Nov 2007, had surgery, the doctor tried releasing it through the shoulder when he repaired the bicep, but the symptoms presist.  I now go on the 21st of this month to see the cardiologist again, in the mean time, my GP told me to take one baby asprin every 6 hours, and it does stop the pain after about a day.  And yes, I do have the chronic cough and headaches as well.  
I too had carotid artery inflamation (inflammation). I am a nurse and when I statred hurting in my left neck and down my left arm I totally freaked out because I knew that was symptoms of a heart attack.I did have a cough. I did not feel bad ...just a constant cough with a lot of sinus drainage. I am healthy and do not take any prescriptions drugs. Ever seen anyone healthy on prescription drugs? I wanted to take the natural approach instead of using steriods that decrease your immune system even more. Since the cause was inflamation (inflammation) I had learned about Monavie... the acai' berry in school where I am studying to be a doctor of natural health. Monavie puts the body  back in balance and addresses inflammation of the body better than anything I have found. It took about three days to get myself back to normal. I hope this helps
Make it a great day!
I'm not trying to scare anyone, by any means, but go see a Vascular Surgeon and get an ultrasound of your carotids.  I am barely 40 years old, nearly below weight, worked out several times a week... a month ago I had 3 T.I.A.s (mini-strokes) in one day.  Turns out I have a 100% blockage in my right internal carotid artery that can not be operated on due to the 100% blockage.  If it were less, they could operate - but they can't.  So, don't wait until your carotid is completely closed off, like mine.  I was lucky.  I was told I had a 50/50 chance of surviving when I had my T.I.A.s and I came out on the "good" side of that percentage, thankfully.  I'm still praying it resolves itself, however, and that I don't have a major stroke.  Don't wait!  Make sure you don't have a dissected or blocked artery!  I still have these headaches and my VS says it's due to inflammation and that this is actually how a lot of these carotid artery blockages are found - from headaches.  Good luck!  Hopefully it's not that - but definitely be sure to rule it out!
Hello;  My name is G.I.Mom (yes I am in the military).  For the past 3 days I have been experiencing extreme pain in the left side of my neck.  I have experienced this before several times on the right side (feeling a nodule in my neck but resolved itself within a few days).  Well I saw a doctor today who said it could be "Carotidynia" and wants me to see an ENT doctor next week.  I have read the comments previous to mine and YES I too have had itchy eyes and I have just begun with a slight cough.  I am in the medical field so we tend to diagnose ourselves...LOL  This is frightening to me.  I also suffer from bruxism and I thought maybe I strained my neck during sleep or maybe I was getting an ear infection because I have been fighting a cold recently.  My doctor told me to take Aleve 2x a day along with Zantac 150 twice a day for 2 weeks.  He also gave me a presciption for a stronger pain killer if I needed it.  He said if the pain gets too bad - go to the ER and they will image your neck.   Holy ****!  I am only 43 years old.  If anyone else has had further testing - please place a comment here.  
I too have had carotid artery inflammationon my right side of my neck 3 years ago. It went away but now has returned just yesterday. Pain and swelling is worse below my jaw, down to my collar bone. And a headache and slight eye pain above right eye.
I too am just getting over a type of sinus cold and have had a severe cough especially at night; Keeping me awake.
I was interested in what Bananas posted on Dec 17 about Lupus. Last fall I started having joint pain in my elbows, one knee and sometimes wrists. It has been severe but just took Motrin or Tylenol for pain, and heat pad. I also have  symptoms of IBS though I never have told my Dr I try to watch what I eat and causes me to have a reaction. I am going to research more on Lupus.
Thanks for the info.
CHECK THIS OUT

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1818881

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0689/is_n1_v39/ai_15654108
Thanks so much for all of your comments.  I too, have been experiencing neck pain, swelling, and a swooshing sound in my head.  Thus far my doc has ordered blood work and a chest xray which were both normal.  I am now scheduled for a CAT scan.   I am predicting an inflammed carotid or perhaps a blockage of the left carotid.  Hopefully it can be detected and treated.  My 50th birthday is just around the corner but I am not ready to fall to pieces yet!!
I took a kinesiology education + mobilization some 10 years ago to be able to treat my injured back myself when needed. I have since learned a lot about the body/mind complex that are us (have a lot more to learn still of course). But I can say that the neck is very intricate and sensitive area, if a vertebrae or scull bone is the slightest wrong it will create problems. I think it really needs a good therapist that can read the language of the body to see what bone should be adjusted and how. And if you don't like the "hard" chiropractic adjustments one can do the same job with slow mobilization with little movement and force.
Another thing I don't think any of you have considered is the chakras. It sounds new-age but they are a reality, they can be dysfunctional just like the rest of the body and therefore they also needs attention. Find someone that can see or feel them and know how to adjust them.
And the blood of course. Have you checked homocystein levels? Homocystein can damage the vessels.
ak_erik***@****
The worst part of all this is how slow the system is. I sometimes wish i could just check into the Mayo clinic for a week of every possible testing. Instead it's skeptical doctors and negative tests spread out over months, even years. What a waste of time. I hate when the weekend comes around because I know that I have NO WAY to reach a doctor unless I go to the ER again and make a fool out off myself in the eyes of my family yet again.

There are such things as headaches and anxiety – and we know the difference between that and the stuff we're getting. Head pain, chronic head pain, coupled with weird, tender swelling in the carotid artery or sternocleidomastoid is not any easy thing to shrug off. It can literally drive you crazy. When everyone says it's anxiety, yeah, the anxiety that comes from horrible undiagnosed symptoms that are real.

The medical establishment is like anything else, if you don't fit into a neat little box you're penalized. Doctors want to get you in and out, collect their money. Once you get a negative test or a diagnosis of anxiety they right you off, next thing you know, there you are again at home, worrying, palpating that bulge in your neck into it's tender and red in an effort to NOT find it. So you walk around wondering when it's going to give you a stroke or bleed out into your neck. Coughing up pieces of food and slowly going mad. Just lying down for hours...waiting until your next doctor's appt.

***** big time.

I guess deep down i know it probably won't hurt me...but that logic doesn't help when it feels like a fatal, ominous pressure in one of your body's biggest most important arteries.

I have had pain on both right and left neck from ear to shoulder, left is worse. It almost like the glands are sore.My doctor does not think its heart related,but doesn't know what is causing it. I have had chest pain for 3 months, had a CT with the dye, showing nothing. I am having a bone scan next week because of pain on chest and rib area, and because the doctor has no other ideas. I have the neck pain,which is very scarry, and a heavy feeling in middle of chest, and not feeling good. Does anyone think this is the carotid artery? Any help is appreciated. .
In May of this year I turned 31---It all went downhill from there!!  My grandfather passed away after mom and me came back from Disney for Mother's day and my birthday celebration.  Anyway, I guess the stress decided to target my neck.  I thought at first I just had a stiff neck, but it wouldn' go away.  My pain felt like rubberband stretching tight across my left cheekbone down to my neck area.  I felt my heartbeat even without touching it.  OUCH!!  Everyone at work said just deal with it and basically SHUT UP and it'll go away.  Well, after going to three doctors and being told I have this so called rare and fluky thing --CAROTIDYNIA--I still get told to just not think about it and it'll go away, like I'm just being a big baby.  Well after reading about all you guys stories, I have to say THANK YOU!!  Knowing I'm not alone is very comforting!!
I found this posting site after searching the internet trying to find out if i was going to drop over dead any minute! Yes, that sounds extreme, but wow, when you have this kind of pain in your neck, and everything throbs...well you start to wonder when the big heart attack is coming for you. I know you all understand what i mean after reading these posts.

I have extreme pain in both sides of my neck around the arteries. They throb so much that you can see my necklace jumping around!  this has been going on for almost a year now. My dr. gave me "water pills"... that did nothing to help. I am on pain pills now 3x day, still no relief, just getting goofy...
Pain runs clear up my neck on both sides to my jaw, and into my ears. I have lost most of my hearing ablility. But ever once in a while, a large pop will happen in my ears, and i can hear a little better, then it is gone again. I hear high pitched ringing all the time. Suffer from extreme headaches, pain in  eyes.  A big blood vessel burst in my eye, had to have that tended to...
I found out that I  have high blood pressure since this started. Had a cough so bad for 6 months that i thought i had cancer.... turned out the blood pressure medicine causes some people to cough! Dr took me off of blood pressure meds, NO MORE COUGHING! What a relief, as I could not sleep or function due to chronic coughing  and with neck throbbing...well life was just a nightmare. ...BUT... I worry about my blood pressure.. this is a new thing, he is "watching my blood pressure"?  WELL, I AM WATCHING IT TOO DOC ! AND IT IS MAKING ME NERVOUS...
Exercise is rough, makes it throb very bad and I get dizzy... Stress or anger makes it throb worse...much worse...geez...
I am planning on asking for more tests from my dr. (he does not seem to listen very well to my complaints about my neck throbbing pain).
In the mean time, I also try a product called "activ on". It comes in a big roll on tube and you can carry it with you.  I buy mine in walgreens... it lasts a long time..It is for backaches, knees etc. but i have found that rubbing it on my neck area does relieve some of the pain... I don't smell too pretty...lol... but I feel better...maybe someone that loves the ben gay smell will come along...lol...sigh...
Hey we have to keep our sense of humor don't we? That is about all that is left at the end of a long day of pain...I know i am too young to be going through all of this stuff... I still have a lot of life to go live so I hope that this goes away soon...or at least some day...until then...TO ALL OF YOU THAT ARE DEALING WITH THE SAME THING, I WISH YOU THE BEST... I HOPE THAT SOMEDAY SOME DR. FIGURES OUT WHAT IS GOING ON AND BRINGS SOME RELIEF OUR WAY... GOD BLESS TO ALL OF YOU :)
I hate to hear that there are many people out there feeling this pain, but I have to say that I am glad that I have found this site and now know that the pain that I am feeling is not just in my head - no pun intended.  I have had this pain on and off for the past five years.  Every doctor that I have seen has given me this very perplexed look when I tried to explain the pain.  I would tell them that the pain feels as though it is directly along my carotid artery, they tell me that you cannot sense pain in your arteries.  I explained that I had this feeling that there might be some type of blockage building up and that I would like to have it checked, I was again told that that was something that I would not be able to feel.  Ultimately, I was sent to get a bunch of test done, CT scan, xrays, etc. to the tune of $7,500 (thank goodness I have insurance) to find out that they found nothing and that the pain is probably due to stress - whatever.  Anyway, the pain has now returned and I realize that I am under a great deal of stress right now, so my question to all of you is; have you noticed that, perhaps you are experiencing more stress in your lives while feeling this pain?  I look forward to hearing any input.  
Thanks and best of luck to all of us.
I know you all may think I am nuts for suggesting this to all you you with neck pain or have been diagnosed with artery inflammation but there is a strange syndrome caused by what they call "trigger points" in the small muscles and ligaments that support the neck. These muscles cause all sorts of problems that don't even seem remotely connected. Such as pains down into your chest, shoulder, back, head, etc. Perhaps it is worth a try to Google "trigger points and their treatment" and you will see all sorts of resources and articles to see if any of these match your symptoms. I know that my neck hurts quite a bit at times and I can squeeze (not too hard tough) the little muscles toward the front of your neck and you will feel some strange sensations in your head that are not even remotedly connected to where you are touching!  Amazing stuff.  Anyway, check it out and see if it would be worth going in a different direction since you have not been having much luck with the traditional medical area.
I recently had surgery, and cannot take any anti-inflamitory meds. I have the same conditions in my left neck. If any of you have any suggestions that I can run by my doctor, that would be great. Thanks.
I have had the same condition in the past about 3 or 4 different times.  I've had it occur on each side of my neck.  I was also told it was an inflammation of the carotid artery.  My doctor called it "pleuresy" of the artery - meaning the lining of the artery was swollen and inflammed.  I think I was given heavy doses of antibiotics for those times, but can't remember for sure whether or not he had me take any steriods.  All this occurred about 7 or 8 years ago.

Now I'm 48.  I was diagnosed with MS just two years ago, which they said I've actually had for most of my life, but it is just now starting to act up a lot.  I just started having the same carotid artery pain on the right side of my neck this past Tuesday.  I'm going to the doctor for it today.  I'm now beginning to wonder if it has something to do with my MS.  Has anyone else here been diagnosed with MS?  I don't want to scare anybody, but MS can cause a multitude of symptoms and it isn't until a major attack occurs that it is usually diagnosed.  

What first brought it to the attention of my doctors was that I came down with optic neuritis - my right eye started getting blurry and eventually to the point that I lost my vision in my right eye.  I was put on intravenous steriods - very heavy dosage - for one hour a day, seven days.  I finally started getting vision in my right eye again in a few days, but it took a year for my eye to completely heal.  One of the first things mentioned to me when I was seeing an opthalmalogist for the blurry eye was MS.  Apparently this is a common indicator of the disease.  Of course I had to go through a bunch of MRI's and eventually a spinal tap before it was fully diagnosed, but the result was definitely MS and I've been having trouble from it ever since.

The first few times I had the carotid artery inflammation it was thought to be due to sinus infection or something like that.  Now I was just beginning to wonder if it all has to do with my MS all along, especially since here I am getting it again.
I have just been diagnosed with carotidynia and its on the left side of my neck under my jaw, it hurts to sneeze, blow my nose and swallowing. Mostly blowing my nose.. Its pressure in my neck and I am really scared about this. I am on Alieve and its not helping. It seems to hurt more at night when I am resting.  I have to get some kind of artery check and thyroid check to see if there are nodules or something. I dont feel healthy and I am worried about it.
I've also just developed a painful inflammation of my right carotid artery. I came across this discussion in search of a possible diagnosis, coming up with the same results everyone else has (thanks to all for posting your experiences).

Coincident with this symptom I have symmetric peripheral neuropathy involving both feet and lower legs. Three years ago I experienced 'sudden deafness' in my right ear which was verified by an audiologist and diagnosed as incurable nerve damage. After doing some personal research I tried a one week course of prednisone, which resolved the problem and restored the hearing in that ear to 60% of normal, to the displeasure of my EMT, who told me thought the whole thing was in my head. I declined to point out that his analysis was fairly superficial; of course the whole thing was in my head, that happens to be where the ear is located on most people.

For the past 6 months I've been experiencing muscle spasms in my feet legs and left arm. I have developed a numbness involving my left arm and the distal side of my left hand.

I have ruled out diabetes through glucose monitoring. I have ruled out B12 deficiency through challenge.

Since I don't have medical insurance that would cover the costs of a complete lab work up for MS, and since MS is an incurable degenerative auto-immune disorder, I haven't bothered with a professional diagnosis. My personal opinion is that I have MS. I'm currently researching Low Dose Naltrexone (LND) therapy for the condition. Those with a similar complex of symptoms might consider looking at:

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/#What_is_low_dose_naltrexone
I've had this pain off and on over the years in my right carotid artery, and it’s much more pronounced than my left. I also have a couple of dissections (small tears on the inside wall of an artery) that have healed themselves, in various main arteries and an existing aneurysm that is being monitored. In Jan 09 it appeared in an MRI/MRA that the aneurysm had grown, so I underwent an angiogram so the surgeon could see for sure. I ended up with a new dissection in my right carotid artery, caused by the catheter and was in the hospital for a week and on blood thinners for a month. I was not completely under anesthesia for the surgery and I felt when the dissection occurred. It's the same type of pain I get periodically.

I asked my neurologist about the fact that I get this pain and the way my right carotid artery is so pronounced and he had nothing to offer. What he did tell me, is that my arterial walls are very sensitive, more so than an average persons, and that I need to make sure my blood pressure stays low. A rise in blood pressure could cause a rupture.

Some additional facts about me:
I get migraines and have since I was 12. I weight train regularly (4-6 days a week) and ride a bike. I work as a computer programmer, so I spend a good amount of time straining my neck. I’ve found that when I lift a little too heavy, don’t sit perfectly aligned or eat anything that raises my blood pressure (such as high sodium foods), the pain worsens. I’ve been tracking what I eat, my exercise routine, how much sleep I get and other things I do and have found patterns. You may want to try this and if you’ve never had a neck MRI with contrast dye, you may want to consider it.
Hey. Its amazing! I did a google on "neck artery pain" and this post came up as number one. Here is my two cents worth, presented in rambling form.

1. I have had a lower head/neck pain, left side, on and off since 1994. It comes and goes. Why, I am yet to work out. Analgesics don't necessarily bring immediate relief.

2. I am 61 now and have had an international life style and change of residence from Europe to Australia to USA in this time frame. Stress? Yes of course but direct correlation with the pain, I am not sure about.

3. The pain comes and goes of its own accord and as the years pass I have become more atuned to its comings and goings. Its always in the same general area, somewhere from behind the left ear to the shoulder just left of where the neck meets the torso, sometimes very local and sometimes a little spread out over this area with pockets of localised intensity. Sometimes I can feel a small lump present behind and below my left ear (there is no such lump on the other side). After the pain has gone I have no such lump.

4. My pain attacks rarely last more than 24 hours with a few hours of really heavy stuff. I always feel it coming on and if its really bad, it is almost intolerable for some minutes/hours during the episode. The pain arrives anywhere from weekly to 3 monthly. I never react to the pain in advance with Ibuprofen but will take 3 at peak pain.

I find that, after the pain commences, thoughts about certain subjects ( matter of concern and problem) seem to exacerbate the pain. Also the idea of eating certain foods causes a feeling of revulsion and nausea, there appears to be a hypersensitivity to certain foods.

When you eat something you normally enjoy, the pleasure of chewing and tasting seems also to be diminished.

5. The really surprising thing is that I also fully experience the moment the pain leaves, its like a wave of well being comes over me and seems to wash the pain away in minutes or less. I am yet to establish how and why the pain relief happens.

6. Here are some pain amelioration techniques that I have discovered to work for me.

a) Whilst sitting, gently press your thumb slightly upwards into your head at the low point above your nose at the base of the forehead. Move your thumb around a little to find the most effective pressure point for yourself. This pressing gives such a soporific effect (other pain goes away) during your pressing, 1 minute, 10 minutes or however long.

b) Also apply pressure with thumb or finger onto the boney area on the left of your nose where it becomes the cheek. Same effect.

c) Apply upward pressure above the left eyesocket just below the eyebrow with your thumb. You have to discover for yourself exactly where and how much pressure to apply. Again same efect, other pain goes away while you do this and seems to stay away for a little while afterwards.

d) I have discovered another pressure point a few inches down from the mid-point of the left shoulder on the upper back. Press in there with a finger, the stronger you press the better the pain relief. In the right place and right pressure the main pain goes away completely - until you stop but it seems to have an improving effect.

d) Forced burping helps

e) Finally here is an unusual one. I pinch some skin on the left side of my stomach just below the ribcage and tug it outwards and hold it there. It gives immediate relief to my headache. DOmthis while sitting, standing or lying down.

I started this typing while my headache was severe and it has moderately abated - but its still there.

Well, I hope these words are of help to someone, please respond with your experiences and thanks for reading and sharing.
Did anybody pass away from this! No offence but im having the same problem and im scared to die.
I was told in 03 I had cancer thyroid, I had them removed, shortly after that The pain in my neck was so bad I would vomit, The doctors put me on STRONG pain meds now after 7 years decided carotid inflammation he could not justify the pain med, I walked in his clinic a healthy women left with cancer and a drug dependency,, and now they want me to have cortisone shot near the caodid. Scares the f out of me, They said if was from "radiation over exposures. Any help out there?
My dad is 74 and has been experiencing pain in the left neck for voer a month now.  The pain acts as a severe charley horse in his neck.  It can also suddenly start when he is not even eating.  He has had 2 scopes on his throat, a CT scan, and MRI.  All come out fine.  He can only drink liquids, as eating solid foods causes too much pain.  He can only sit up to sleep.  He has been in the hospital for 4 days, and still no answers.  The only pain medicine that takes the edge off is morphine.  The dr's seem to think it might be an infammed nerve that runs next to the carotid artery.  One dr even told him he thought it was arthritis of horid bone.
I am experiencing major pressure behind my eyes, and when touching the right side of my neck, by the carotid artery, it just about sends me through the roof.  I too am tired of going to doctors and hearing the same old s@#$!  

I would like to know if anyone has a Dr. House in the house?
This is all new to me and I am glad I found this post. Saturday morning, I was sitting on the couch and had my head leaned to the right and I yawned. I felt this incredible pain in my neck and now realize it is my Carotid Artery.  It really hurts when I first wake up in the morning and hurts to stretch my head upward but then the pain eases (unless I touch the artery) some times it hurts terrible and the other times, not so much. I have had a cough but have had a cold off and on for a couple of weeks. The cough started before this pain.  One thing I have noticed I have in common with some who have posted is they mention vertigo.  I was diagnosed in Sept 09 with Menieres Disease by an ENT.  I have had some dizziness over the last few weeks so I have to wonder if there is any connection.  Has anyone with this strange neck pain been diagnosed with Menieres Disease?  It is an imbalance of the inner ear fluid.  Would love to hear if this is related.
I am also having pain in what I believe is the left and sometimes the right artery in my neck.  Seems to be worse for me while sleeping or trying to sleep.  I have also had vertigo in the past and still do slightly at times.  I take over the counter Motrin in the mornings and it helps with the pain during the day.  I have not been to a Dr. in a very long time and really do not want to now.  I can also hear my blood pounding in my ears.  Any natural remedies would be a blessing.
I've had this neck pain twice now...just to the right of my "adams apple" and it hurts worse to the pressure...and hurts when I turn my head a certain way.  I went to the doctor 4 times the last time it happened...she couldn't diagnose it, and after 4 times she gave me a painkiller....now it's back again and I'm worried....it's been about a year since the last time....I had a cough just before the pain...does anyone have something similar?
I've had bilateral Meniere's Disease for 17 years now.  The head and ear and neck pain started at about the same time, but ENT said "not related".  Since, two ENTs, both of whom diagnosed me with Chronic Carotiditis/Carotidynia, said it is absolutely connected.  Meniere's can be initially set off by a number of things, but once it is set off, it becomes a "disease" in its own right.  It will continue, even if the cause is abated.  If it doesn't continue, it's not true Meniere's Disease, but instead a secondary reaction to something (like an allergic reaction, etc).  They believe (the first ENT actually said it was simple and obvious) that in my case the Meniere's was initiated by the early arterial inflammation.  My Meniere's is worse in my right ear, but is increasing in my left.  My neck/head/ear/eye pain used to be primarily right sided, also, but is now increasing in the left.  BTW, this has all escalated to eye problems, also, including multiple bouts of Optic Neuritis in my left eye.

I would suggest, too many years later for me, that you press this issue now, before it progresses.  Watch out for med side effects, and don't let them just throw meds at you without very careful diagnostic testing first, and YOU check into the medication research and honest success rates before taking it.  I've seen so many friends I've met because of their struggle with Meniere's who have had a lot of damage from the meds, none of which helped the Meniere's in the long run.

BUT, don't let this go.  It turns out the arterial problem is in my entire body.  I was always fit, athletic, active, and too busy, proud, and stubborn to stop for anything, including the doctor.  Now, 17 years later, I am almost an invalid, and would be in nursing home care if not for a capable husband and a caring nuclear family.  They want to start setting baselines for cognitive decline leading to dementia.  I plan to skip that.  I have little use of my eyes, but the upside is, I also don't have any wrinkle lines on my forehead ;-).  I'm only 46 years old.
I'm sorry - my previous post was a reply to SSF70, and I got that wrong in the heading.
39 year old male. Exercise/work out 5 days a week. non-smoker, moderate drinker, normal blood pressure. I noticed pain in left carotid artery 3 days ago. I thought it was maybe off-shoot pain from a rotten tooth. Dentist did x-rays and teeth are fine. My GP today wasnt sure what it could be. He sent me for ultra sound, but that will take 2 months to get. (Canada) Sounds like I better get used to the pain from what I have read here. Pain increases tremendously during and after accelerated heart rate. Severe artery pain after working out. Pain when i touch that particular spot on neck beside adams apple (left side). Now I just noticed a lump behind left ear lobe. No other symptoms as noted by the others in this dialogue. I have eaten a lot of peanuts lately (snacking at night) could it be a peanut thing? Stress thing?
49 year old male pain running vertical, around the carotid artery area, sore jaw right hand side and what feels like toothache from my back teeth to about the 3rd from the front(only on the right side),sore head, poor sleep patteren, sore eyes lack of dexterity in looking over my left or right shoulders.
work out often ride a motorbike frequently (well used to as the pain is to bad to concentrate)
I'm having massive carotid artery, But after reading ll the posts... I feel a little better. My pain only seems to flare up when I drink vodka and take stimulants for more than 96 hours.
Massage therapy is great for this. Relax. Obtain the right oils (peanut, pure olive, camphor) and work the areas. Visit a massage therapist (neuropathic if you can find it; otherwise, swedish), and have them work the spine -- starting from the center, and moving towards the extremities. Change your mental approach to a day. Identify your ideals, and live in accordance with them. Slow everything down.
I am 24 year old male.  About 2 days ago when i woke up I felt this pain in the right side of my neck.  I ignored it and thought it was just a stiff neck.  When I went out last night I had to go home because of the pain.  Not that it was realy sore then, but it was quite irritating.  Today however it's a bit worse and I felt the pain was right on top of my artery.

I have read quite a few of the above posts.  I havn't been to the dr yet, cuz I live in a small town and from past experience they don't know anything.  (They damaged my eardrum when trying to blast out non-existent earwax buildup)  That is why i'm looking for a bit of feedback before I go any further.

I had middle ear infection (or whatever its called) about a year back, after which I was diagnosed with Tinitus (as if that's not bad enough) which is still with me.  At work I complained the whole week about my right eye burning like crazy.  I'm a smoker and casual drinker.  Could any of these be linked to this?

(should probebly print this page and take it to the GP ;P)
I feel for all you guys. I have also dealt with similar pains and problem, and at one point felt that I would die because the doctors did nothing but prescribe and make me feel worse. One thing I found to work for me, was to go on a liquid fast. Take a juicer and just drink different juices everyday and eat nothing for a at least 10 days to start. Then take a few days of by eating only fruits and vegetables. Look up fasting and the different forms of it. When you fast your body has a chance to repair and clean itself out. This is the only natural way to do it. The juices provide valuable nutrients.  Stay strong and take a break from breads, meats, junk food, and especially any form of soda. Diet coke will kill you. Just look it up and see for yourself. Let your body heal itself for it already knows how to do it. Give your stomach a break and let the body heal. For those that cannot go this route, try taking organic only apple cider vinegar. It cleans the arteries and helps in many ways. Last, drink a half gallon of water every day with 3 to 5 lemons (not limes) squeezed in it. This will help clean you system. Remember that stress will clog your arteries, so make sure to take a good vitamin B complex and try to meditate and breath deeply every day to keep the stress at bay.
Acid reflux is probably the cause.My artery on the left side started to hurt a few days ago, but my eyes burned and itched and my ear was plugging.I've had reflux for a few years.My wife called from work and said her boss has the same symptoms with reflux..Now my right side of my neck hurts and the base of the neck is swollen.I also have a severe burning at times in the lower throat area.She said the doctor told him to drink apple cider vinegar every day to clean out the arteries and go to a Gastrointestinal doctor to treat the reflux.That's what causes the coughing. The acid spills into the trachea and causes the cough and it then travels into the arteries causing pain.I am going to follow his advice today and see how it works.Your post is similar.  
My throat swelled up and My Left artery next to my adams apple started hurting after I put my neck in traction and it "popped" back into place. My doctor checked my thyroid and found that it was under-active and I thought perhaps that was the cause of the pain around my artery. Now I am tempted to believe that it was the popping of the neck that caused the pain to start in my artery. I am going to check this out (trigger points and their treatment) which I read on this forum. Another sufferer said his started after getting his neck popped at a chiropractor's. Coincidence? Perhaps but I am going in this new directions as muscle relaxers and Naproxen sodium aren't cutting it.
i had my 1st bout of carotidynia 6 months ago.  symptoms were pain with throbbing on right side of neck, and always got worse when heart rate increased because the throbbing would get worse.  hurt to lay down, sit in certain positions, move neck in certain ways, pain radiated into teeth/jaw, and a little down neck.  intense pain, lots of crying, lots of moping!

my doctor thought it was the muscle above the carotid artery that was inflamed, but after going home and doing my own research, i discovered this bizarre condition.  which is clearly what i have (my doctor obviously hadn't heard of this one before, and i haven't told her of my findings yet).  

i took lots of motrin, as much vicodin as they would give me, and a flax neck pillow that gets heated in the microwave (provided more comfort than my heating pad.. also, ice made the symptoms much worse).  major pain for 4 days or so, symptoms just about totally went away after 10 days.

since then i have felt sensation in the same artery once in a while, not painful, just sensation.  hadn't turned into anything.  until tonight.  out of nowhere, it is coming back:(  i am trying to brace myself, and trying to not stress too much, as i don't want my pulse to make it hurt more!

33 years old, pretty healthy, eat well (usually).  hypothyroid (take levoxyl).  hx of enviornmental allergies and headaches.  before onset tonight, got extremely stressed out due to almost being hit while driving by a total psychotic a**hole on the road, and got headache after.  (not sure if anything mentioned in this paragraph has anything to do with this condition, or onset of it.)

problem right now is that i can't take meds because hubby and i are trying to have a baby, and i might be pregnant.  so this really *****.  wrote to my acupuncturist to see if he can help.  anyone out there have success in treating this with non-western modalities???
4 or 5 years back I had my neighbor,  a cardiologist, looked at my cardotids.  Both were acutely painful.  After a CT scan and ultra sound the best he came up with was inflamtion in the artery walls of unknown cause.  The only med that has worked for me is Celebrex 200 once a day.  My concern is that inflamtion in the artery walls will lead to blockage from plaque.  What's the risk of a stroke with something like this?

I can tell you this though, when my blood pressure is elevated for a few days, the pain will flare up.  Also my headaches are easy to diagnosis.  If I squeeze both carotids and the headache fades, I take an Atenalol for high BP.  
I need help.  I am a 39 y/o female.  This seem to have started with mid back pain about 2 yrs ago.  went to phy therapy and chiro.  about my 4th visit to chiro, my neck was adjusted and i was so dizzy, i did not like the feeling.  Soon thereafter, i noticed i had a swollen gland on the LEFT , took antiobiotics, it did not help.  A covering chiro said the swelling was my carotid and to go have an ultrasound done in case it was an aneurism (aneurysm).  I did that and it was fine.  This brought on unilateral pain to head and face and oral cavity.  Since this past Dec I have had new facial pain on the RIGHT side and swelling around the nose.  I woke this morning with what look like a pocket of fluid under my right eye.  I have been completely consumed by this for 5 months now since this newer other side facial pain.  None of my Drs. are taking this neck swelling very seriously and it seems to be getting worse as time goes by.  My ENt, my primary all think I'm nuts, i'm sure.  I have had a CAT scan of sinus and my neck, MRI of midback.  Nothing seems to be showing, tho i do have neck and back problems.  I get tingling of hands and feet, sometimes a tightness in my chest, sometimes nausea where it feels like it comes from my back.  I eat lots of nuts, could that really be relative?...i find that hard to believe.  I definately feel stress is a factor, it is def worse when i worry about my physical symptoms, which is often!!!  The back of my left neck is tender as well with pressure or looking up perhaps the vertabal artery?  They both send headache pains to the top and front of my head.  bending over or any resistance or exertion makes everything all the worse....so done! so stressed!  Adrenaline def is relative, when i get a suddden scare, a pain shoots right to my face/nose area.  i get sudden underarm pains at various times, light muscle cramps( slight squeeze feeling) in arms and legs. I have had serious dizzy spells that i put myself on the floor in case I drop.  I am sure i have other symptoms that i cannot recall at this time... I have mouth issues like red sore patches, kinda diagnosed with some immune response from my dentist.  i have mild psoriasis.  I am recently an exsmoker, but smoked for over 20 yrs prob up to qtr/half a pack a day.  I have a glass of wine or 2,  4/5 days out the week.  i have recently gained 10 pounds this past 2 months, and have heavy tender breasts for 3 weeks out of the month for the past two months... I am at a loss at this point.  This cant be a dissection rt?  wouldn't that have resolved itself or something more severe would  have happened by now??  It's been 2 years with progressing symptoms. all related? i don't know.  any further advise?  or persons who did get diagnosed?? did not find Eagles syndrome as a cause as well.  but i know that that is hard to find. thank u so very much...and God Bless you all with healing and love.
I have recently started to experience some weird and upsetting symptoms. I looked up pain in the neck by the carotid because this is a new symptom. About two weeks ago I began to experience dizziness and fatigue. Then the fatigue got so bad I spent 2 or 3 days in bed either resting, sleeping or in a kind of fog-like consciousness. I checked my BP which was seriously low and my pulse which was like 120 and I was not doing anything. In fact, it was on the day when I did nothing but rest. This low BP and high pulse thing has lessened and so has the dizziness BUT the pain over the carotid has been going on for about three days now. At first I thought I 'slept wrong' and had a sore muscle but it hasn't lessened in these past days and is probably worse today. Anybody have these problems?? I hate to go to the doctor but think maybe I should. I'm a busy mom of three small boys but am having seriously problems because of the fatigue and pain. I had a bad headache yesterday which felt like a migraine but it lessened when I took asprin. I took asprin instead of tylonol or ibuprofen because I thought if I had a blood clot or some heart problem it might help me to take asprin. I know it sounds stupid to not go to the doc and I should go.... Just wondering if anyone else out there had this problem before?? Thanks for any info.
I have had very bad inflamation (inflammation) and pain thru my neck, which spread to my upper chest. Also had long spells of light headed feeling. I went thru a lot of medical tests and the doctors have not figured the cause. I was getting desperate to feel better.
I found that turmeric root is a strong anti-inflamatory. I bought a few pounds of fresh turmeric at a health food store and started making carrot juice with the turmeric added (I threw the turmeric in the juicer)  and drank it twice a day. After a few weeks the inflamation (inflammation) and pain went down by approx 50-75%. I have been using it for approx six weeks and it seems to be controlling the pain. But the problem has not gone totally away.
My symptoms were a bit different than most here.  My pain was in the throat, felt like strept throat.  My ENT diagnosed it immediately, told to take I-Bprofin.  I have had this twice and it seemed to worsen when I was stressed from my job.  

I have been having right neck pain (6 months) that when its at its worst feels like a line down to the shoulder blade to chest  However, the worse starts below the ear.  It got sooo bad i went to the ER and they said it was a swollen lymph node.  They gave me antiobiotics and the swelling went down.  A month later it started up again. I went to the ENT and they ordered a CT scan and it came out normal. They gave me the results over the phone.  I ask if it could be "inflammation of the carotid"  they kept saying everything shows normal.  I ask if inflammation shows on the CT scan?  They said if it was they would see it.  However, i said you had me taking Laviquin antibiotics for a couple of days and it may have brought the inflammation of the carotid down and its not showing up on the CT scan?  They wouldn't answer that question but seen evasive!

Does anybody know if the inflammation went down would it show up  when you go for the scan?  I need to know for sure?  

Please give me some feedback ...please anyone??!!
I have had this same thing happening for a while now going on two years since June of 08. At first I thought it was swollen glands and just happen to be at my Cardiologist for a check-up and when he grabbed my neck it hurt like hell. He told me that it wasn't swollen glands and that it was Carotidynia and that there isn't anything I can do about it. I looked it up once I got home and to my surprise it is supposed to be rare and that the people that get it only get it once in their lifetime. Well it has been two years now and this is the 9th time that I have had it, sometimes only in one side of my neck and sometimes in both sides at the same time. I do believe that I have an inflammation problem within my body but that is another story in itself. Currently have it on the left side as We speak, and just got over it on the right side last week, I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS IS RARE AT ALL ON THE CONTRARY. Yes it is only supposed to be the outside of the artery that gets inflamed and can cause much pain to swallow, breath, and ears may hurt as well, right now my whole face hurts!! AS for a Ct scan showing inflammation it should unless it has gone down. I had an MRI done on my left knee for sever inflammation and it was done the day after I got a shot of Toradol so it didn't show the inflammation. The knee specialist said I should have waited to get the shot till after the MRI to show what was going on, But the pain was to intense that I couldn't wait
I started getting pain right on top of the carotid artery three days ago, went to the doctor last night he poke at my neck and told me it was normal nothing wrong.... $60.00 later by the way
today I am having heaps more pain in the throat and finding when I talk it also hurts alot, have a really bad cough to go along with it...
Going to get a second opion today Will let ya all know How I am getting on with finding out just what it is...
Mine isnt a pain, its a numbness that goes mostly to my chin, jaw and left side of my face. It started with a session of Yoga and at first had intense pain in left side of neck and down shoulder. Lasted just the night of yoga class now this for two weeks.  When I wake up in the morning I feel a constant pressure to just one small area near my lower jaw line and after a few hours of being up the numbness starts. Could this be the same thing the rest of you have?
I have been battling pain around my right carotid for quite sometime and it seems to accompany long bouts of ringing in my ears and what feels like spasms in my head. My Dr.'s answer was anxiety medicine, it didn't work. I did find that when I take niacin supplements that the neck pain gets worse. Thanks to all of you for your input, it has helped me
I to have been having pain in my left artery. This week I have noticed my air getting cut off more than it does. I take throid meds and I just feel that there is something wrong.I also get dizzy but that could be from my meds I take Blood pressure meds, also. My sister told me I should be taking my 2 ounces of Aloevera twice a day and It would help what is going on.I think I will try that since it helped my mother to help her liver and bleeding ulcer.  It cleared it up... LB
I to have been having pain in my left artery. This week I have noticed my air getting cut off more than it does. I take throid meds and I just feel that there is something wrong.I also get dizzy but that could be from my meds I take Blood pressure meds, also. My sister told me I should be taking my 2 ounces of Aloevera twice a day and It would help what is going on.I think I will try that since it helped my mother to help her liver and bleeding ulcer.  It cleared it up... LB58
I have been reading all of these posts on different sites for weeks.  I have the same thing.  Inflamed Carotid artery.  It has been 4 weeks, on and off steroids and all kinds of other anti-inflammatory drugs and nothing seems to kick it all the way. Well, today I had a massage to relax me and while talking to the massage therapist, I told her what was going on and she thought that I ought to try acupuncture.  I thought...WTF?  Well, the acupuncture guy was right next door and she swore by it, so I said what the hell...anything to relieve this damn pain.  I went in and he laid me down on the table and propped up my legs.  I explained all of the symptoms and what the other doctors said.  He felt my right side of my head and found the spot where it hurt the most...Right behind my jaw bone in front of my earlobe...he pressed and it made me jump it hurt so bad.  He said...I think I can help.  I have never done anything like this....so I was very timid.  He took my hand and said that he was going to stick two needles in it.  He pushed both of them in and I felt a tingling in my hand....then he went to my calves and put one needle in each side.  He then asked if the needles hurt...and I said NO.  He then came back to my sore spot that made me jump and pushed...I was ready to jump...but I **** YOU NOT the pain was gone......I could not F'n believe it.  I am typing before you in awe......I have not been without this ******** pain for 4 weeks.....It has been 5 hours since he did this and the pain is still not back... I do feel something in my neck though...like it is working to heal or something.  He explained to me that their are certain points in the body that he can trigger to heal.  I asked if this was just a scam fix or trick ....and he said no.  He said it will come back a little bit and then we will do it again...it will be gone.   Well....I have been with ZERO pain for the past 5 hours and am sitting here typing to you.....find an acupuncture person NOW!!  You will not believe it.  It was $50......30 to 40 minutes and no pain........I sit here in awe.. hope this helps.
UPDATE.......Last night I typed about going to the Acupuncturist to stop this neck pain related to the inflamed carotid artery.  Well I woke up this morning and it is now 100% gone.  Nothing.  I still am sitting here in awe.  I can not believe it.  I don't know what else to say.  If you think I am out of my mind...I am not.  I  forgot to tell you, I am a 43 year old male in good health, and this carotid artery thing had me at the end of my rope.  4 weeks plus of just feeling miserable.  Reading all of these threads with nowhere to turn.  Every thread has the same type of comments...and no cure except to throw different types of drugs at this........I am living proof...I was so skeptical.......and now I sit here with no pain.  Please take my advice and just try it.  What do you have to lose?  If you really want this pain over, and to see how it feels to live a day with no pain, find a good recommended Acupuncture person.  I still can't believe I am typing this. And I still can't believe this happened.  Everyone around me witnessed this happen yesterday.  My partner in business, and my sister.  They saw how miserable I have been.  Yesterday they could not believe the difference in me...I told them what happened...and my business partner is going in today.  He has had shoulder pain for 8 months.  He witnessed what happened to me...he said..."Man, if that guy can make you well, I will bet he can take care of this shoulder".   I told him........."Call me crazy...but you see what just happened."  Please people...sorry to carry on....but if you want relief from this neck pain....get to a professional acupuncturist.  I am laughing at myself still for even typing this...because if you would of told me this before, I would of just thought....."A voodoo doctor"  LOL.   How is it that I can be stuck with 2 needles in my hand and 2 needles in my legs and be cured when I have had my regular Doctor, a ENT specialist, and an Urgent Care Doctor all put to shame by an ancient technique?  I just jumped over to Wikipedia to read about acupuncture, and in the first article it says many scientists believe it is a "Placebo" effect.  HAHAHAHAHAHA  OMG  well.....I have $$$ in prescription medicines left over from this nightmare...and if you are reading this right now, then do you think your pain in your neck is just in just coming from stress or thoughts?  You know what type of pain you are in, just as I was.  You are reading this thread just like I was searching for answers.  Well friends....I feel great today.  24 hours ago I felt like you.  Screw the garbage meds.....they will not take care of it.  They will only put a bandage on the problem.  Go-* in today and find an Acupuncturist and get healed.  Hope this helps one person...I was excited this morning to get up and tell you people about my journey........off to a good day!
Wow I am amazed at all the people having the same thing.  About 3 weeks ago or more this lump came up on my carotid artery with severe pain if I even touched it.  Went to my ENT and had a MRI done and NOTHING.  He said it was just inflammed.  Well what does that mean, he did not know just said sometimes it happen.  After reading all the threads, I believe I will try the Acupuncturist.  I have RA and Fibromyalgia as well and have recently had Iritis.  So something to do with all this inflammation in my body is just like attacking everything.  Will see what can be done the natural way without all this medications.
Wow, I like so many of you found this site by way of painfully seeking info regarding Carotidynia.  After almost 10 years of unexplained pain and scary physical challenges, tons of meds to cover up the real issue and doctors with no answers I am glad to have found all of you and your helpful info.  I was finally properly diagnosed 2 days ago. I just wanted to know what it was and how I got it... not to much to ask for? Well, its good to know that I am not a hypocondriac like some made me seem. Today I went to a follow up appt with my primary doctor and ... she actually laughed when I told her what the ER doctor had diagnosed me with. I was finally convinced that I need to change doctors.  I asked her if she was even familiar with it and she says it was the first time she ever heard of it. Mind you, she had gone as far as to put me on anti depressants in recent months. I mean I've had doctors test me for so many things, xrays, mri's, spinal tap, scans etc... the favorite I think is the "thyroid" testing... uggg! I'm just glad to finally know that its not something I'm making up or something that I'm making happen.  SOmetimes, life just happens, you know?.  Well, I am now making changes that will limit some of the triggers in my case. I am only a 40year old woman and I have a life I love! I am making some changes like limiting my caffeine intake, cutting out the salty and greasy food (thus limiting the acid reflux), instead of hardcore excercise..brisk walking and maybe Tai Chi or something, choosing my battles and fighting with wisdom when I have too. Above All else, believing the Word of God for my healing to manifest according to His promises knowing that He does love me and cares for me. Whatever all this is I believe that it will all work together for my good in that I will now turn my negative and doubtful ways of thinking, bad habits etc.. back to str engths! I pray that your challenges ease up and that you too will find peace, healing and a renewed sense of living, laughing and loving BIG while your still here! Jesus paid it all and that works for me because I need Him more than ever. Be blessed and again, thank you for sharing. * I'm also going to try that acupuncture.*
Approximately 5 months ago I noticed a mild throat pain, but only on the right side. I didn't think much of it as I had just finished an antibiotic for a sinus infection so I thought it was related to that or maybe I ate something that irritated my throat. Well, the one sided sore throat lingered so I went to the doctor and upon examination they said everything looked normal and said it was likely allergies. Another month later I went back and another doctor said there was nothing observed that looked concerning but that he didn't think it was my throat, that maybe it was my eustachian tube. Well after it didn't resolve I went to a third doctor who said it was my carotid sinus and noted the strong pulse on my right side. After almost 6 months I no longer have a sore throat or ear pain, but I do have a lot of pain down the right side of my neck which extends all the way to the collar bone. When will this go away!? I think I am starting to get depression from the chronic pain and being treated like I'm crazy.
Hello Everyone,

I've been reading up on all of your stories and it seems we all have one major thing in common... that is, a blockage in our carotid arteries. Looks like some are from plaquing, and some from inflammation. I'm 28 and my blockages are at 75% on both sides with pain on both sides of my neck, jaw, face and head.

I've been to many doctors in the past two weeks and everyone is very concerned about a stroke. I was prescribed a high dose of predisone over the weekend and it worked wonders for the inflammation and took the pain away completely. I'm wondering why the rest of you with inflammatory problems weren't prescribed the same thing. From what my doctor says steroids are a wonderful anti-inflammatory and those combined with an immunosuppressant will put my body into a remission from what ever is telling it to attack itself and inflame the carotid tissues.

We're searching feverishly for a diagnosis, but the vascular medicine doctor is saying that it's a type of vasculitis which is rare but very well known.

I don't know if my journey will lead me to a definite vasculitis diagnosis, but I thought that because it was never mentioned in this thread, it could give you all something to think about.

And also to clear a few things up. Yes, arteries DO become inflamed, it is not impossible. Non-invasive therapies ARE possible if it's inflammation. And autoimmune disorders can act like eachother, so get with a rheumatologist, perhaps even a consult with the vascular surgeon and rheumatologist together. Two heads are better than one. Second opinions are also beneficial.

Good luck to all of you.

Very interesting reading all the comments about this neck pain! I am suspecting that mine is because my Dr has told me to take more (too much)medication for my thyroid and it is giving me over active thyroid symptoms!! (hyperthyroid) For some of the people out there still trying to find an answer try getting your thyroid tested - for hyper, hypo and antibodies!!! Good luck!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Apart from inflammation, it can also be a clot or thrombosis. A color dopplar or duplex ultrasound of neck should be done. Please consult a vascular specialist.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
im 14 and i have 2 lumps on my left side between my jaw and my collar bone...
it doesnt hurt when i check my pulse but it is painful when i press on the lumps. My throat hurts unbarably and i have had the worst cough for a week now. I'm on vacation and dont know what to do or what it could be. its too low to be thyroid.

if you have any idea what it could be, let me know.

thanks!
It sounds like you have some sort of infection going on in your throat.  The lumps are more than likely swollen lymph nodes from the infection so nearby.  

If you haven't had this checked out by a competent doctor or the symptoms haven't gone away you need to run to the doctor.  Tell your parents and if they won't listen tell some other adult who will take you seriously.  Good luck.
Wow...stumbled upon this forum and OMG!

About a year ago I had a headache that made me see wierd squiggly lines that blink. OK-via the internet,  I find out this is a migraine with aura. Had a second & third occurance over the last 2 weeks -
also experiencing a swooshing sound in my ear-  or sometimes a  heartbeat sound in my ear.

Today, starts the pain in my left cartoid artery!!!!

There is too much of a repeated story here to be a coincidence.

I will be getting a thorough battery of tests including a cartoid doppler-
better to safe than sorry
not to mention I will worry myself to death if I don't.

Please be viligant with your health- Godbless!

The pain is not causing my spelling errors. Typing/thinking too fast. LOL

Also, interesting that I too have been on low carb diet.
??????????????????????????????????????????

momofquads
Several years ago I had some of the dame simptoms mentioned her and after years of going to different doctors and being told various things I finally had an angiogram after I was waking up in pain, bad headaches and switching sound in my ear, the right side. I was finally diagnosed with Takayasus' Artritis (TA) a read disease. Have your doctor check you C reactor protein and Sed rate to see the levels. Hope this helps someone out there.
All the best.  Jackie
There may ALWAYS be more to it than meets the doc's eyes...KNOW YOUR BODY AND BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE.....NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP IN YOUR SEARCH FOR YOUR GOD-GIVEN RIGHT TO GOOD HEALTH!

I'm a 56 year old woman who has been suffering debilitating pain in the right carotid area, spreading to the entire jawline, facial nerves (in the v3 area of the trigenimal nerve.) At age 44, after a rather damaging accident, I had reconstrucitve surgery on my face including the nose, upper jaw, and lower jaw. Facial bones had to be cut, sawed, then screwed, plated, and sewn back into place. It was close to a one year recovery. However, after approximately 2 months after that massive and painful surgery, I developed pain in my lower right jaw that no amount of meds OR doctors seemed to be able to help.

Unknowing dentists pulled teeth, others scratched their heads, many let me know they believed I was simply an hysterical woman and referred me on (probably to one of their worst enemies!)  Yes! I went to all of the right specialists...from the Parker Mahon Facial Pain Center @ Florida State University in Gainsville, to Baylor Hospital in Dallas, to Cedars Sinai Facial Pain Center in Beverly Hills. In between, I sought naturopathic remedies, massage, accupuncture as well as accupressure, an. blue light laser treatments. I even sought out a Cunendero (3rd world country voodoo healer) in Central Mexico. Today I laugh but, as many of you may understand, when dealing with long-term, non-stop, chronic suffering with chronic pain, one can find themselves searching for any answer, medical, naturopathic, or mystical.

Fortunately, Dr. Stephen Graff-Radford, the Director of the Facial Pain Center at Cedars-Sinai gave me a diagnosis of atypical trigeminal neuralgia. Because the prognosis is poor, it has been labeled "the suicide disease" and many choose to end their lives rather than live with the level of pain. At the time I lived in Oklahoma but, in order to follow his treatment plan for me and to be able to take advantage of his expertise in medication trials and cutting-edge procedures, I moved to LA for 8 months. And, while the pain decreased significantly, it never decreased enough for me to be able to return to my profession. To date, I have lost my 15 year career as a graduate level statistics professor, my social life along with many friends who just couldn't reconcile the "but you look fine" with my constant complaints of pain.  I am no longer able to scuba dive, snow ski, swim, hike, run, or even walk. The very least of those movements jar my body, causing an exacerbation of the pain in that angle of the jaw.  Speaking, smiling, chewing food, kissing my guy (he left due to my medical problems, too!), brushing my teeth, the electrical shocks to my face, the facial muscle spasms, ...all of those are symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia.I've had 5 surgeries over 9 years in 4 states, (one experimental to build a new mandible out of my hip bone to protect the exposed trigeminal nerve.)

Of course, as we doctor hoppers know, doctors like to be correct. I kept insisting that I was (and had for the past 9 years) absolutey positive that I was experiencing multiple problems in that area and that there simply had to be something someone was overlooking. FINALLY, I made the decision to go to Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ. I purposefully gave them very little information other than the suggested diagnosis and a history of the 5 surgeries to the area. NEVER have I been treated with such dignity and respect. The "it's in your head" attitude is non-existent. To date, I have been going to Mayo Clinic for approximately 8 months while the various specialists put forth their theories about the nature of the underlying cause of my jaw/facial/neck/breast, shoulder pain. After 11 years, another few months is nothing when searching for the right diagnosis and resolution. I have undergone more MRI's, more CAT scans, more bone density tests...to rule out various possibilities.

After many tests by many doctors, the Director of Neurosurgery suggested that, given what little could be seen in the MRI & CAT scan (too many metal plates and screws are in the way), his recommendation was to see another physician there and begin Radiofrequency Alblation (RFA) on the V-3, V-2, and occipital nerves. This would SURELY give me some relief from the Trigenimal Neuralgia. The first RFA helped tremendously on the jaw/artery area. The V-2 and occipital nerve RFA's did nothing. BUT....and PRAISE SOMEONE.....

I had a follow up appointment with Dr. Karl Deleuw at Mayo Clinic who suggested that I might be suffering from Carotidynia, a form of Carotid Artery Disease. He immediately placed me on a dose pak of steroids and, within 8 hours of beginning the med regemine, the pain had decreased from a 9/10 to a 3/10 with even an approximate 2 hours during which I forgot about being a chronic pain patient at all!!  While I know I have some permanent nerve damage to the trigeminal nerve from a surgery gone bad, I now firmly believe that, yes! I know my own body! and that, if the Carotidynia can be treated properly, I can manage the trigeminal neuralgia issue. Given that, I MIGHT HAVE A CHANCE AT A NORMAL LIFE AGAIN!!  

So, my fellow chronic pain sufferers, keep the faith in your own knowledge of your own body, don't let the doctors discount what you DO know from an experiental perspective, and seek out different specialists if you can afford to do so. Doctor hopping is sometimes the only way to get to the answers. We seem to forget that our good doctors, while the majority of them are well-intentioned and most sincere, have different skill levels as well as different skill sets and it is, untimately, up to us to advocate for our own health. Please, eleven years is simply too long to live in a constant state of severe pain. TRY MAYO CLINIC. I THINK IT IS TO BE MY PHYSICAL, AS WELL AS EMOTIONAL, SALVATION.
hi my name is melissa.where i live there arent any good doctors.im 16 and really love to do sport.a couple months ago when i would skip rope or even run a bit the "inside" of my neck would start to hurt.so i'm getting worried because it's only when my heartbeat rate increases that this pain starts!at first i would try and ignore it thinking it wasn't serious and would go away but now i realise that each time i do sports the pain starts.i don't know what the problem is and would really like to know.not that i'm afraid to die or anything but i want to know what is going on with me.the worst part is that it's stopping me from doing sports as well as i can.in june 2011 we have this sports exam and i don't want to fail.doing sports is important to me.just yesterday we did 12 minutes of running wich isn't even all that much but when 10 minutes passed the pain started.i pushed myself to finish the 12 minutes and as i stopped i just couldn't breath.i was taking deep breaths and this weird sound was coming out.i souded like an asmatic person wich i AM NOT.i have already smoked a few times.maybe about 12 times max n have decided i wouldn't ever again because i don't want that to affect my doing sports.told my mum and sports teacher but theydidn't really seem concerned...sooo please someone help?
My problems started in 2008 with a tooth ache. It soon turned into massive earaches and a knot on the front of my neck. I would get tender spots in my head and headaches. i developed weakness in one side of my face. The pain was really bad in my neck but I wasnt getting any help. I started having swallowing problems to the point I couldnt eat solids anymore. I recently had to have a feeding tube in because I had lost so much weight. well told I finally seen a ENT, that I drove 3 1/2 hours to see....He said that I have inflamation (inflammation) in my carotid artery...he said that inflammatory drugs is whats used to treat it...but I take Ibprophen everyday for the past 2 years...its hasnt helped sooo far...It hurts soo bad in my neck...I so hope the doctors r right..I hope this helps someone if they have had the same experience...
Hi folks....A few yrs. ago I was having alot of weird occurences with my balance and still do,the carotids in my neck pop out severely and I have
deep pain in my ears when i swallow especially,just got off of 10 days of augmenten and still have the bad pain in my ear and irritation when swallowing,one visit after several tests I went in to the ent and he said
that I had Carotid Sinus Complex and it can come on by just a good sneeze and go from there,had a course of steroids and anti inflamitory
and I did feel relief but it still occurs and when it does I feel like I am falling from one side or the other and that I had some kind of acid poured in my head that has different extremes.Painful needle sensations
in my ear and as I stated the veins in my neck protrude severely and more so when I talk.Comes and goes.
All I can say is WOW! I have had similar experience about a yr and half ago. I had a slip & fall, sever concussion with neck injuries. I've been suffering Chronic Pain ever since.. Severe headaches, pain from left eye brow/temple area, down my jaw, ear, neck, shoulder and it's now going into the center of my back and down my left arm now. I've gotten NO help at all. I've had MRI, EEG, Xrays... but something has to give. I spend sleepless nights from the headaches and throbbing pain. I've gained a bit of weight because when I exercise the pain gets worse. I've also noticed that my ear also has extreme sensitivity to certain frequencies and multiple sounds that drives me crazy to. If anyone has any advice I would most certainly appreciate it. (They have told me I just have to deal with it, but some days I feel like I just can't go on because of the intense pain and it's been relentless for so long).
Hi Started having pain on my left side of the neck . went to the doctor told  him  the pain was extreme . i had a carotid doppler done  . doctor call me to  see a vascular  surgeon . saw a vascular surgeon who did another carotid doppler .they didnt explain much ,but a doctor call me and told me  i need to do a temporal artery biopsy .that was negative also .blood work is off the chart . high white blood count,high sed rate , high c reactive , high alkaline phosphatase,that was in august and in dec . in dec  my sed rate was higher . now im back to the primary doctor . went to see him and he told me that we have to hurry up cuz he got other patients. no one in the waiting room hmmm?im so frustrated now. going to see a endo next  . keep u posted
Look up "Asperillosis" and Chug Syndrome  on the net.  Both may cause inflamation (inflammation) of the arteries. Do so now and then decide what course to take. Get a copy of your labs and see if you eosinophils have been out of  range. These illnesses indicate fungus growths that if not detected can invade the organs . Get a doctor to order biopsy of the skin and biopsy near the top of the artery or veins that seem to be inflamed. Read up on these disease now. Thank You.
I have the same pain on the left side of my carotid artery. I saw my pain doc today and he prescribes me MS Contin 15 mg 3 x a day and Oxycodone 6 x a day for the ruptured discs in my upper back and lower back. The bad thing is these meds do not touch the pain that I am having in my carotid artery. He mentioned nodules and cancer and that I need to see an ENT.

What does anyone suggest? I am worried. Please mail me at felle_james***@****.
i just took on a new dr...she was the most thorough of any dr i ever had...she just felt my neck and said i needed to go for tests, which i did today...i cannot believe any dr would put people on medicine without a cartaroid doppler test...get the test...see the truth...it only takes about 20 min and it is non invasive
Hmm... I need more info on this.
My boyfriend has this right now and i'm of course extremely worried for his health, he's been VOMITING blood and he chokes on his own throat as well as not being able to eat and has a cold, fever and... more... at the beginning of this year he started coughing up blood and it wasn't that bad, he was in hospital for a few days and was released. But then it just came back last month and it became worse than the first time... He can't move, can't talk properly and his right lung isn't working properly... I'm terrified about whats happening...
i have a pain on the left side towards the back of my neck it is a sharp shooting intense pain that goes up into my "brain" i feel a pressure of some sort on my neck in that spot where the pain starts to shoot from, it feels like there might be something there when i touch it because it feels different then the right side and my vision has been getting bad fast and headaches as well. the pain is a 8 on a scale and it shoots then stops then shoots then stops on and off day and night it will go away for a few hrs here and there but then poof its back it feels lie a lightening bolt shooting it hurts really bad i have tried asp. and ibuprofen but nothing helps what do i do i have no ins in college full time single person...
Hi, I've had carotid artery pain for 18 months on the left side of my neck. It starts just under the jaw line and then runs down the neck. I seen a Oral Surgeon because my primary physician that the pain was caused by an impacted tooth. The Oral Surgeon did a Radial Xray and found that my Styloid bone that it at the base of the skull just behind the ear has grown extremely long and is putting pressure on the Carotid Artery. I will have surgery to remove this bone in a couple of weeks. I also have started having the pain on the opposite side. This is called "Eagle's Syndrome" if you would like to check into it. Best Wishes to All of You!
I have had the same thing for years now.  Pain radiating from neck to shoulders and back,  up side of face,  jaw,  back of head and scalp.   Inflamation (inflammation) of the cartoid and areas around jaw and ears, and Temporal pain,  sometimes involves eyes,   sometimes on the left and sometimes on the right.  Couple of things I havent seen mentioned in any of these posts,   Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,  This is a major symptom of both of these conditions,   Something worth looking into,  especially if you have re-curing episodes or have dealt with it for years on end with no relief.  Sad to say it is just something you have to live with.  I use anti-inflamatories,  Pain medications and cold therapy ,  it calms the symptoms down,   I hope this helps someone get some relief,  as I know this is no picnic in the park........ Have a WOnderful day everyone  :)~
Have your thyroid checked, ask your dr to do a thyroidultrasound.Sounds like swollen thyroid gland.mine wrapped around both carotid arteries and i had your symptoms too!the dr done blood work(TSH Level) and it was within normal limits,so get the thyroidultra sound done!!!!!
I am dealing with this and one thing I found out that Drs didn't tell me is that dairy and wheat foods and sugar are INFLAMMATORY. I had a weird throat soreness set in the other day while drinking a coke.  Then a couple of days later I started having discomfort in my chest and a tightness in my neck.  So turns out I have an inflammed carotid artery. My nutritionist took me off all wheat, dairy and sugar.  Yeah, I know, not easy, but better than being in pain.
I have suffered from SVT most of my life and have had my carotid artery on the left side massaged several times.  One doctor did it too hard and I have ever since had sensitivity in my left carotid.  The least touch sets off pain and swelling there.  If I turn my head sometimes, my heart skips a beat and takes off.  This is so annoying but something I have to live with I guess.  No one knows but all of you with these same symptoms just how difficult this can be.
I have had mild pain on the right side of my neck.  I was doing the ****** Therapy for a couple years and was fine.   As soon as I started eating "regular" food and restaurant food my health began to slip.  Juicing green juices from Kale, Chard or fresh Spinach etc. as well as apple carrot juice with a strict ****** Grocery list diet can cure almost anything.  Also a decent short cut is MMS (Master Mineral Suppliment) pioneered by Jim Humble.  Research both the ****** Therapy and MMS and see what you think.  Most diseases can be cured with the ****** Therapy.  When I did it for elevated PST scores associated with prostate cancer I immediately went on the ****** Therapy at home.  I was well in three months with dropping scores and as a side effect my blood pressure normalized and eight other symptoms of other things simply vanished without expecting them to.  Holistic health was the way for me and instead of anti-biotics I am using MMS.  Check it out for yourself.  
check for mold in your houses its there
I am going through this right now. I have a swollen gland in the right side of my neck and it does get painful sometimes, especially when I am laying down on that side. I have already gone through with the Antibiotics, then had blood work done.  Antibiotics did nothing and the blood work came back normal.  Now they are going to do an Ultrasound on my neck to see if it is attached to my artery.  If it is attached to my artery, what will happen?  Will they have to do surgery or will they put me on meds to help it?
I have this too, but because I'm only 29, the doc's won't even check my neck.

I had a painful "zap" feeling run along side my left carotid artery, then the next day, the right.
Now they feel kind of achy, and my ears sometimes hurt.

I asked the doc if my arteries were inflamed, and she said that isn't possible.

Ugh!
Mine started about 3 yrs ago, my husband came in, I was asleep in the recliner at about Semi-Fowlers, he screamed my name and asked me if I was ok, then told me my Vein in my neck was jumping out of my neck going mad......  My neck is very sore from my jaw (right side) to my clavicle, and is swollen all the way down, once it gets to my clavicle I feel a pain like a needle pressing through, also have a burning sensation all the way down, and have been blacking out (even while driving) get a tightening sensation in my scalp that tingles, and also very dizzy spells and occasionally little black spots in my vision...... have no insurance, so for me, diagnosis will not come.  Good luck to you all!
my name is rickey comeaux. im 27 yrs old. and just yesterday i started havin this pain in my neck. this morning i woke up and my artery was thumpin away and hurtin like hell. im scared of drs. and hospitals. i just wanna know what the hell this is. and from i read on all ur storys over the last 3 years, i definately dont wanna go to the dr. and have him mis diagnose me. any advice?
WHAT WORKS FOR ME LIKE MAGIC, and why:

I have these symptoms often due to severe arthritis, but the universal panacea seemed to be IR. I bought an IR bulb, from Phillips, used a standard nightstand lamp, and heated slowly the area. The infra red rays penetrate deep and act as a natural inflammatory agent. Ibuprofen destroys the heart and stomach at best. Also it is a natural antiseptic, it will kill the localized infection. Another important aspect: localized inflammation can occur due to night sweats. Use only cotton sheets and only natural blanket and pillows (goose feathers or similar). Test them by trying to breath through your pillows, and if the air does not flow do not use them.
These are the most common and largely unknown mistakes that I've done.
Hope it helped,
Marius
What does it mean when your shoulders hurt, your chest muscles, her you get right eye popped blood vessel two times a month, Your head cracks the pain starts going down your arm? My whole body pulses like beats in my sleeps. The only pain I experience is in my shoulders my neck is just tight. I am 59 and I was doing kick boxing and TRX. I like to exercise but it is this cracking every time I move my neck.  This popping blood vessel thing is a little too common and embarassing besides at work. I went once to an opthamologist he said common...Neck they say drink water...I have some arthritis around my neck at age dr said it is "common not normal but many have it"  I guess that means many don't?
What does it mean when your shoulders hurt, your chest muscles and shoulder muscles throb without pain necessarily,  you get right eye popped blood vessel two times a month, Your head cracks the pain from shoulder starts going down your arm? My whole body pulses like beats in my sleeps. All the muscles but it doesn't hurt and my heart pounds in my chest. The only pain I experience is in my shoulders my neck is just tight. I am 59 and I was doing kick boxing and TRX. I like to exercise but it is this cracking every time I move my neck, just noisy.  This popping blood vessel thing is a little too common and embarassing besides at work..i must mean something they just don't know about it yet.... I went once to an opthamologist he said common...Neck they say drink water...I have some arthritis around my neck at age dr said it is "common not normal but many have it"  I guess that means many don't?
The popping blood vessel in eye people, Do you drink ,do you take medicines, do you have high blood pressure, do you exercise?  
Hi, i had this problem as well, and diagnosis of carotid artery inflammation has been made. Pain like hell when you touch your pulse!
Ibuprofen didn't help and had to go on steroids.
Symptoms relieved.
You schould have an ultrasound scan of your carotids to exclude otter pathology before carotidynia may be THE one and only diagnosis!
MRI can confirmate THE diagnosis.
My pain in my neck started two days ago. I turned 18 in december. I'm going to the doctor today. Everything y'all have wrote applies to me. My left side of my neck is throbbing, if I touch my pulse the pain worsens. And my eyes feel like their throbbing! I can't turn my neck at all. And it's hard to sleep because any way I lay, the pain just inclines! Should I ask my doctor about an Inflamed Corotid Artery..?
Sherri
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_syndrome
Hi! On my first experience of this long threaded discussion of neck pain. Chanced upon your info on homocysteine. Thanks a million, sent me on the road to possibly solving another entirely different underlying health problem. May you be blessed!
i have the same thing.. i am a 32 yr old male..started a couple weeks ago.. i had the symtoms (symptoms) of what i thought was tmj or something .. intense pressure up the back of my neck and jaw.. and i would yawn and my jaw would pop and give me some temp relief.. then came the headaces in my eyes and temples.. would completly put me out of commision.. this went on for about a week... then on the last day of headaches.. the pain went from my head straight down my neck where my artery.. i told my wife i had never had a headache in my neck like this!.. then the headaches stoped.. but now i have just the pain in the left artery.. been going on for about a week now and freaking me out a little.. i also wanted to add that here in the last 6 months or so i have been exsperiencing virtigo like symptoms.. where in sitting there ... and all of a sudden it feels like i have been tipped back or something.. and im falling backwards.. havent had it recently tho... also a couple weeks ago i had this constant whomping sound in my head that lasted a couple days.
Hi all.  Carotidynia is nothing to worry about.  It is basically a type of migraine that affects the "bulb" or "sheath" that surrounds the carotid artery and causes inflammation in that area.  I have had this for years and it comes and goes but occurs mostly in the winter months.  I take ibuprofen for pain and it eventually just goes away.  Some people do have it for longer periods and it can be an annoyance but it's not life threatening.  Good luck to all!
My 13 teen year old daughter keeps getting sore vains in here left arm. Some times she has to hold her arm tight untill the someness goes away. What could be the cause of this?
Yes I got that as well, including the vertigo. Interesting thing on the vertigo is that it happens just as I manage to fall asleep, jerking me back awake.

That said people I do have a sense of the cause. Its working on computers, especially laptops. I know because I have only been back on computers three months and my regular job is intensely physical w/ few computers. I had this problem years ago when working on comps and holding my head in a particular position. Thoughts?
I have had the same problems for almost 10 yrs, and I am only 28. I have been to Dr. after Dr. and hospital after hospital. Been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, tension headaches, cluster headaches, etc. But have never found treatment that helps. I have 3 kids and always wake up with pain and headaches. This is ruining my life! After reading all of these blogs I am thinking that while sleeping on my stomach, I must be pinching the carotid artery and not getting enough blood/ oxygen to my brain, thus causing these problems. I do not believe I have a permanent problem with the artery, because none of my tests, MRI, CAT scan, etc. have shown any problems. Anybody else a stomach sleeper? Wake up with headaches and eye pressure?
It sounds like Sjoren's Syndrome, autoimmune.  I diagnosed myself,
have struggled with fatigue most of my life.  It is often related to
lupus autoimmune and endocrinologists are the specialty.   The
treatment is steroids, but those can make you feel great, then you
crash when you have to periodically have to go off them.   Of course,
we learn that doctors don't want  you to tell THEM what you know
about your physical condition and many specialists are dismissive of
the awful fatigue with this.  I have never been offered  treatment or
anything like steroids.
Susan
I'm 34 y/o healthy female 5'8" and 150lbs. I took Phentermine on and off for the last 4 years and wonder if that has anything to do with this. I take Nasonex daily (8 years now) for seasonal allergies...allergic to all 4 of them :) My left side is definately worse than my right - "diagnosed" with inflammation 8 months ago but it has never gone back down. I know when it's getting worse because I start to tingle. More so when people tick me off or raise my blood pressure if you will. It started as tingling on the left side of my head around the ear but progressed and now when I get really mad my entire face tingles almost like a numbing sensation. On my really bad days I have tingling in my hands and feet. I take my anti-inflamatories and muscle relaxors as needed on the bad days.

I've dealt with it just fine till now - I've got new additions. One month ago I started attending a weekend hard-core fitness boot-camp. It's intense and the heart-rate gets really high. Usually my face and hands go numb in a matter of minutes and I've noticed my hands and arms turn BRIGHT red when this happens. Not to mention I sweat like crazy, I mean I'm wipping my brow just in warm ups. Well today I actually experienced my first (i guess it was this) exercise induced asthma attack. Scared the crap out of of me - my throat litterally closed up for about 3 minutes.  Then again 20 minutes later. Both times I ended up laying on the ground in the snow trying to gasp in the -1 degree cold air. I remember when my son croup - always took him out into the cold air and it would open his throat right up.

Not sure what's going on.  Honestly beginning to think my heart or carotid artery are litterly going to explode one of these days. It's a very scarey thought but can't seem to get the doc to be concerned. Told my trainer it would be a really bad oxymoron to have me die in his gym of a heart attack or stroke while I'm there trying to improve my health. Just not sure where to go from here.
Try physio therapy. I too had right neck pain, as if something is poking below my right ear. Got the physio to realign the neck gently , done by lying down on back while she support my neck and slowly pull neck forward and letting it sit back on its own. I got instant relieve, no unbalance while walking or further pain while moving my neck to the right.
That's me.  No sweating, headaches, vomiting, or even ear aches.  I've only been dealing with it for 2 weeks though.  Extreme artery pain just below my jaw, and oftentimes it feels like its in my lower jaw, also on my left side.  Been to four doctors - two being ENTs.  The second ENT was today and told me it was an inflamed artery and I needed 800mg of Motrin 3 times a day and to put a heat pack on it.
Good luck.
Wow, I have read every post and learned so much from so many.  What I found I have in common - autoimmune disease - I have a thyroid goiter, have tested for the antibody for RA and Lupus but do not actively have either, have been under prolonged period of stress (I believe a BIG factor here), suffered with a virus a few weeks previous to this, started having reflux (do to the stress I was under), experienced itchy, watering eyes, with blurring in my right eye, pain in my right under arm and topped off with pain in my right carotid artery area.  Perhaps this took so long to come on due to the fact that I regularly take an anti-inflammatory for a joint replacement I had a year ago.  Stress does amazing things to our bodies and the last time I was under a prolonged period of stress was when I was dianosged with the RH and Lumpus antibodies because all my joints were inflammed and hurting.  Got to learn to handle stress somehow but the meantime I am having this checked out to be certain because I don't want to be a stroke victim just because I didn't.  Good luck to everyone and thanks for all your posts.
This may help - maybe try going to the chiropractor. tendons and muscles in the neck get misaligned after years of stress and can cause horrible migraines, tension headaches, shooting pain in the neck and arms, and the burning sensation the artery because everything is being pulled and strained so bad.

Everytime I go to the chiropractor and he adjusts my neck, I feel blood shoot back into these areas and I get release from migraines and the burning sensation in the cartoid artery. My muscles relax and it's just amazing. It's amazing how much tension we get used to. Whenever i feel a headache or migraine coming on, I go the the chiropractor and it is fixed.

It only costs about $50 to go and could help with a host of issues. I also think a good acupuncturist can work miracles too. They just have a sense of the body's nervous system.
have you ever tried going to the chiropractor? i had tension headaches and really bad dizzyness that went away after I had my neck and back adjusted. It really works for me - I work a back brace in High School due to scoliosis so my neck needs to be adjusted at least once a month or more... just an idea...
C. Diff colitis can cause the symptom described in this thread. Metronidazole and Vancomycin are the two antibiotics that work against C. Diff. Unfortunately, they're also presently the last line of defense against antibiotic resistant staph and sepsis, so doctors don't want to burn them out on colitis.

I have similar symptoms also. I think it has been actually been going on for a couple of years.  Kept feeling something was off on my neck but didn't really think it was a lump in my throat, just an uncomfortable feeling, sometimes achey (achy).  Went to a nose throat fellow who looked in and said everything was fine.  However, this year, my ear on the side has started plugging and I have been getting pain under my jaw and an ache down my neck, even to the top of my shoulder. Finally went to a walk in clinic and the doctor felt my neck and said my cartoid artery was swollen.  I am going for an ultra sound tomorrow.   When I asked the GP what they did about a swollen cartoid, he said that they generally just "watched it". One thing I  have noticed is that the symptoms come and go. Does anyone else have this experience.  Sometimes it feels swollen and aches and other times there are no symptoms.  One thing I have noticed, is that hot drinks (or maybe coffee) seem to set it off.  I must say tho, that I haven't experienced the type of pain that some people of described thankfully, and hopefully I won't.  A little nervous about the ultra sound.
Please, who is your doctor. I just got out of the hospital and they are checking me for a heart attack . I have your same symptoms, very painful in my right jaw, neck and right ear lobe. Thank you  liskay123
hey fluffgirl73...

saw your thread, just wanted to know what was your results. unlike the
others, i too do not have the 'pain', but a lump om my right side of the
neck artery. had a carotid doppler scan, will get the results on 03/26/12.
this is some scarry stuff.
please reply if you can tell me anything else..

djg51111
I feel for all of you as I can relate to this pain.  I have been experiencing pains in my right neck near my carotid.  The pain I feel though is similar to contractions or labor pain in my neck.  The lump in my neck keeps growing and sometimes kicks.  We believe this is nothing short of a zombie embroyo.  The carotid artery is extremely vascular, just like the uterus and it is a wonderful place for a little zombie fetus to grow... Stay tunes as we will film the delivery of the zombie child...  
Or it could be that I was lifting weights and the 50 pound barbell fell directly on my carotid. Either way, I believe we are about to have a new member to our family... We will name it "Brain Eater Zomber."
                           Me too i got exact same, mine started from carrying to heavy things on my back about a month ago i turned my head and my neck on the right side hasent stopped hurting. Im 48 female and worried too. It feels like a artery or vein where the pain is and its sore to touch. And just yesteraday my eyes where totally scratchy and my throat was like closing up Ive never experienced anything like it before. I just thought wow ive never had an allergy attack like that before.
MAIN THING WORRYING ME...My moms mom died at 48 from an aneurysm.I guess I should carry regular asperin?
I was diagnosed with a disection of my carotid artery five years ago and a week ago today, I woke up with a "pain the neck" on my right side.  It is sore to the touch and it's concerning me.  

Both of my parents had a burst aneurysm in their brain at age 50 and I'm glad to say they both survived it.   With their history, of course, my doctors are quite interested in my head/neck area.  The closer I get to 50, the more anxious I get - I'll be 48 in September.

My neurosurgeon said as long as the artery walls maintain their integrity, I didn't have to come back in unless I experienced any "symptoms."   I'm not sure if this is considered a symptom or if I'm just freaking myself out.  
Dear Kineva and to all of you, my heart is breaking for all the pain and suffering that you are going through.  And to top it off, it seems like most of you are still waiting for a diagnosis.  To me, it sounds like almost all of you are suffering from Internal Carotid Dissections. .  . and really the best way to diagnose that is with and MRA (which is an MRI and they just use a special contrast so they can see your arterial system). Also, sometimes they use a CTA( which a CT machine is used with a special contrast to  see your arterial system)- the results look similar to what you would see if you had an angiogram.  The reason I know this is because two years ago, I started suffering severe neck pain than a horrific headache after a chiropractor manipulated my neck.  I advise and beg anyone reading this to NEVER EVER let a chiropractor manipulate your neck!!! People have died on the table, stroked on the table, or people like me. . .  knew something was wrong after it happened but it took a few days to reach its critical point.  I didn't stroke but had SO many neurological deficits.  My left internal carotid artery dissected and has an aneurysm on it and my right internal vertebral artery dissected and has an aneurysm on it - ALL BECAUSE OF A CHIROPRACTOR MANIPULATING MY NECK.  I suffered TERRIBLY from the pain in my neck and head.  I was in the hospital for almost 2 months.  This happened 2 years ago and I am still not healed.  My brain is still foggy, I suffer from horrific headaches and physically and mentally I am just not the same as I used to be.  I know that i am blessed that I am still here and am able to do so many things.  Just type in CHIROPRACTOR and carotid dissection into YouTube and you will watch some horrible and sad stories - I know that it could have much worse for me.  But for all of those of you suffering pain 1.  Don't go to a chiropractor to try and fix it: our neck holds 4 of our main arteries that sustains our life (one goes directly to the heart).  2. research Internal Carotid Artery Dissection or Internal Vertebral Dissection and if you feel that you have the symptoms, ask your doctor for an MRA or CTA.  If dissections are left untreated, there are great risks.  I am sorry for such a long post, but I just wanted to pass this information along-even if it helps just one person.
And I forgot to mention in my post above that I was in great physical shape when this occurred and was female and 37 years old.
Having the same pain, thought it was a swollen lymphnod or gland, but NET Dr. said it was a swollen artery. Will try anti-inflammatory, and left you know. Never heard of this before.
I was just diagnosed with it as well. My pain was in my jaw, my ear and the whole left side of my head. I also have pain in my neck and my shoulder on the same side. No one really listens and you never hear from them again if your blood tests come back within range. I finally went to an ENT, he was thorough and found it at last...he put me on prednisone and it helped immediately. I just started it yesterday, so I hope when I get off of it that it doesn't come back. I know it sounds silly, but the one thing that makes my head hurt worse is my cell phone. I can not talk on it for more than 5 minutes without my head aching for days. Getting a land line!!! Anyway, I wish the doctors would treat the cause of the problem instead of the result. My ENT said that it could be caused by a virus???
Sorry...but doctors are just there to get money ....thats all....ah...and prescribe medicine...cause its easy to do....hardley they give exams...you have got to beg for them...they look at you if you are stupid...they feel on top all the time....i have not found one doctor yet in Britain taken me serious...waist of time...
get checked for eagles syndrome. I have all the same symptoms and was lucky enough to have an amazing ENT who knew about the condition.  Before him I ran around for 2 years trying to find answers.  Good luck all.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3095808/
When I read about your problem, I responded b/c of the similarity to my symptoms. I, also, have pain in my Lt Carotid artery right below my ear. It is sore to touch, but interestly, the pain has been relieved by sleeping in a tobagan hat. I guess the warmth of the hat helps me. I thought maybe I had a sinus infection, but, after hearing some of the other testimonies, I don't think so. My systolic BP (top #) has been extremely high & I am a small person. Also, I have a dry cough at times & I've been hoarse over 6 mths. I have Juvenile Diabetes, take insulin, however, & have acid reflux. I take a BP & acid reflux med, daily, already. I am a Nurse, therefore, I blew it off b/c of my medical knowledge, I thought  that I may have become a bit of a hypochondriac? I am dizzy when I climb the stairs at home or in the movie theater, my feet are very cold at night in bed & it's been difficult to swallow certain foods: breads, broccoli (raw), etc. I am concerned that my carotid artery may be occluded since I, also, have a elevated BP along with the pain in my LEFT side of my neck, the same side as my heart. Hearing some of the other stories, however, now wonder if could be cysts on my thyroid? I have already had an UGI of my throat & OK.  I am going to seek an opinion of an Endocrinologist. I feel that you should do the sam if your BP is high, also.  I hope you find the relief you deserve.
Monday morning i went to work fine. By 9 a.m. my body begin to ache and i couldnt stop sweating. by 915 my mouth was dry and i was weak. I started work at 8 am. By 930 i had extreme pressure in my head and shortness of breath. i managed to make it through the day out of sheer neccessity. The next day was spent in bed fighting the chills and sweats along with a fever and my other symptoms. So Wednesday i go to the clinic and they diagnose me with severe strep and put me on advil and penicillin. By friday everything is gone except now i have a marble size lump in my neck that radiates pain through my neck teeth and right ear. it seems to be easing the more that i take my penicillin and doses of advil though. but it is my right carotid. i will let you guys know if it goes down.
It started in 2009, lump in throat feeling did barium swallow test whihc was notmal, and had blood test which was normal except ESR slightly high, aske d to take Valprim 2mg and symptoms disappeared after a week or so,
Again Sept 2011 felt like I had something in throat, went to doctors, gave me did an gastrocscopy, came clear, also did ultrasound for thyroid right side was in the upper limit s of normal, left was normal, also had some pain in stomach around that time did bariumtest and contrast for MRI to which I was anaphalactic, and had to give a cortizone, also sent me to ENT, during that time I had this white pimple,( have had them previously which ws not often but since 2011 they were there quite often), looking things on right side of tonsil no pain just botherend me making me feel like I need to gag, and sometimes when I coughed it came out other times I had to press on it to get the darn thing out, they were like white heads only two in the same spot all the time, ENT and doctor said food particles believe me they were not I thingk they were tonsil stones, found out through, med help. ENT Dec 2011 ,sent camera through nose said have a drip, I have alleries to hayfever and  asthma asked to do a scan , did not do it immediately, until end of March when I woke up and felt that my vison was double digits, was worried as there is glucoma in family, and my previous eye pressure in FEb 2011,check was 19, Since March before I got the blurry vion hadnt been sleeping well, also noted  for getting a lot, putting things in wrong place, sometimes forget what I was looking for as well, had a  stammer at one time, which I never had but now not often only sometimes, if I am stressed trying to think of words maybe due to lack of slee.
Ayway went to emergency did normal test to make sure not a stroke due to double vion and was asked to go to  emergency ENT next day, Had terrible headache and went eye pressure was done igt was in 20 and 21, as I was also vomiting, did not have headace when I had the blurry vision, just . They asked if I get sius problems said yes, so they checked it with camera and said may have polyps and do a scan to  make sure hospital put me on antibiotics which had some acid in it made breathing a bit hard felt like something was stuck in chest and itchiness here and there, did scan said have polyps.Went back to GP put me on doxy for 3 weeks while on doxy got me to do a scan of the thyroid and said that it came out normal also did another blood test that came out normal.
While on doxy noted the pimples in right side cleared up, but there is a flesh coloured slighly raised  lump on that side, so put finger in there to check it was a small lump size of pea does  not hurt, but noticed after the doxy was over that it had enlarged , was worried showed it to doctor who said dont worry, been in an oout of doctors, who says my glands are swollen, everytime mentioned it to him but not worried, checked mouth with popsicle stick and light, mentioned to him that it has grown but docotor is not concerned, went back to ent  with the report of scan mentioned to him he too said may be due to nasal drip, nasal drip, is back of throat this is in front of the arch where the pimples were,  Tthe throat scan for thyroids  did not show or mention, anything about this lump, as I was on antibiotics at the time,
Feel neck is heavy, tightness, so went to chiro who took Xrays of the back top to bottom while on antibiotics, chiro said had a small bend but nothing to worry about, feel a lot of tension in neck area and sometimes a uncomfortable feeling,
On the weekend was on bed on the computer, felt the pressure on both side of the neck as if I was going to get choked, have had this dry cough  cough too that has started, for some times now but havent taken notice of it as I do have asthma, but it not asthmatic, had breakfast in bed and then got up was in the kitchen felt vision going blurry , as my neck felt tightening on both sides, went and put my feet up for some time took some time for the feeling to leave 20 -30 mts or more. Went back to Dr and mentioned about this, also noted that I had a slight  loss of bladder control and did not know until I felt something wet, but was too shy to tell the doctor I am forgetting alot  not sure because of the stress of the lump, my sinus feels fine sometimes get the drip and stuffed nose but not all the time, could it be the lump inside throat that is causing but it is only on the right not left but the compression was on both sides,  took a nurofen, yesterday, I am stressed oiut about the lump pressure was fine but my hear rate was 81 and should have been 66 or below, I checkd my poulse when I felt this  tightening and it was 99, but when I went to the doctor  it was normal,
All I want is to get this lump out of my throat so I dont stress anymore, I want to do the polyps but they said they will have to straighten the  middle  of nose too, and read that polyps can come  back if you dont know what is causing it so want to get allergy test done, as well as want the doctor to take this lump out at the same time how can I make him do it he is only concentraing on the sinus., will I need my doctor to ask him to remove it too, as it is causing me to stress, sinus not too bad but the vison thing together with the back of neck discomfort, and the side s of throat tightness, is frightening me. when I move the neck around I can hear this funny sound like a crunch noise.  do you thing if I go to the dentist will she might be able to help me with this lump on the inside of the neck,
I am not sure what to do if anyone can let me know if they have the same problem, I too thought it might be the arteries on the side of neck that is causing this, the doctor said if I get the blur vion next time she will get a scan done, note not sinus when I had the second blured vision.
ENT asked me to take prednosoloan, and an antibiotic, not sure for what is if it is for the drip or the lump, as I was sneezing a lot the day I went for the second ENT
Please help
Great info
what were your results on the March test?
You described my symptoms perfectly and exactly. I've been to an ENT and have had a CT and a CT ANGIOGRAM and everything is good. The Doctor is baffled about my symptoms, which I've been experiencing for 3 - 4 years. He now wants me to see a Neurologist for further examination and hopefully a diagnosis that will lead to successful treatment. From what I've been reading in this thread, there really isn't any treatment for this. It doesn't appear to be life threatening, but it is extremely irritating, annoying, and the constant ache/pain is often very draining.
Ok...so I'm feeling the same thing on the right of my neck. When i take a deep breath my carodic artery pinches. I also feel it in my muscle of my right shoulder blade, tense. Hurts...no but if feels like pressure. Feels wrong. It concererns me so i looked it up nd ran into this posting. I think it's stress and need to maybe get a deep tissue massage & some rest and meditaion. Issue is i hv noooo time for that. I should go see my doctor and take it from there????
This sounds like Polymyalgia Rheumatica. Which I have been diagnosed with.  Steroids will get rid of the inflammation but watch out for Temporal Arteritis or giant cell arterisis which sometimes accompanies it.Tthese usually happen in people over 50 years old.  I have the ball swellings in the neck above the collar bone too.  the arteries at the back of my head and temples were sore and I am having a Temporal Artery Biopsy to see if it is TA, although it doesn't always show up. I have severe neck pain which settles on steroids but the arterial pain continued hence the extra investigation.  Both my parents had this and Polymyalgia so I think it may be gene related.  they don't know what causes it but stress, or post operation or injury somtimes trigers them.  A CAT scan will show arterial damage if any. Good luck.
U are doing  good job. Also have aches in my right neck. i take raw honey morning and night aches go away and whenever i stop taking honey i feel aches again. I asked a in a pharmaceutical store was told it could b as a result of blood shortage
Hi, I recently discovered the same issue, but havent seen a doctor, and I'm very sure I know the cause. If you carry heavy things, such as bags or whatever even just in your hand to often or long periods of time, it cause tenderness to the entire side of your neck. I've been trying to carry less weight in my bookbag, which is a shoulder bag, and switch to the other shoulder every now and then. This technique works quite well, oh and if you crack your neck within ONE hour prior to waking up or earlier, You'll experience that pain also, because it's to early to crack your neck because the muscles haven't quite stretched out, so it causes swelling. I hope this is helpful to you!
I, HAVE THE SAME...DR, SAID NOT TO RUB OR TOUCH THE ARTERY AS IT WILL BOTTOM OUT THE BLOOD PRESSURE. I'VE HAD THIS FOR 1 WK AND IT GIVES PAIN A NEW MEANING. JUST RECOVERING FROM PNEUMONIA AND I THINK THE TWO MAY HAVE A COMMON BOND ??? I'M, 69, FEMALE IN GOOD HEALTH/FIT, ACTIVE.....I, COULD JUST CRY IF IT WOULD HELP. I, READ THAT DAILY STRETCHING IS GOOD FOR IT. I'M USING A CANE BECAUSE I'M SO DIZZY...DR, DOES NOT SEEM AT ALL CONCERNED, SAID THAT HE HAS HAD IT. USE MOIST HEAT AND TAKE TYLENOL IS MY RX...GOOD LUCK
Did you talk to your Endo?  I am hypo and take the same RX. Feeling pain in my neck. Going to Endo tomorrow! Any info you could share would be helpful.
I would go see an internal medicine doctor.  Some theories about Carotidynia are:  It is caused by migraines or after infections.  I would speak to an internal med doctor and get it checked to make sure you dont have some circulatory problems.
right side pinched at this spot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotidynia
cant take it propranolol for BP-anxiety-it made my right side numbish-face to neck
throat is tightened-speech -get out of breath-larangeal nerve?
caffeine sensitivity-BP skyrockets--CYP1A2 deficiecny? other P450 deficiecnies?cant break down drugs like propranolol-ambien-caffeine
head pressure-feels wierd--xanax helps--the tightness of everything
any ideas?what kinds of drs are smart enough to handle all of this?
you must see a GP
A new meaning to pain... huh.... that is putting things lightly in my eyes. I've had this pulsating annoyance, pain on the right side of my neck, dizzy, blurred vision, and a "whooshing" sound in my right ear. Some tests are not good enough to tell you everything going on, one test might tell you nothing and your Doctor may dismiss everything, especially if you have other health problems.

My situation is a bit unique, to say the least.... I've had Gastric Bypass, that ended very bad and I almost died, with being admitted to 4 Hospitals, in a Nursing Home (21 yrs. old at this time).

So, now I know I have Carotid Artery Disease, but all my blood work is "normal" including cholesterol, thyroid.... yeah, impossible?

ENT refuses to see me, since they know this is Carotid Artery Diease and my Primary Care Provider, is/does nothing in regards to this matter. I found out I have this issue, after going to several different ERs and finding competent Doctors. My blockage is at 50% which Doctors refuse to do anything about until it reaches 75% and/or more. But still not taking my age into account, which does "worry" them, nothing is still being done.. Oh yeah, I am now 28 yrs. old.

I've had a lot of scares and then some... I am tired of going to all these appts. and doing more research than these, so-called Professionals and getting turned down by them and just having to suffer through all this pain and discomfort, so i wait patiently until I have a Heart Attack or Stroke, whichever comes first to get Doctors into gear.
I have the pain and pressure on the right side of neck and it is an inflamed carotid artery. This started a few days after I started an "all natural" detox (the 7 day cleaner). I AM NOT CLAIMING ANY PROOF THESE TWO THINGS ARE RELATED. However, it is the only thing done out of the usual routine, and at 27 years old I'd like to believe I'm in good health. I just switched in January from cardio to weight lifting so I'm fearful of developing any type of hernias or arterial bulges. Yet, I haven't lifted for a week and a few days before I started taking the detox. I am hoping it is just a reaction to all the different roots, extracts, herbs, etc in the detox pills. When I first googled the symptoms I damn near gave myself a panic attack but after reading these comments, I took some Ibuprofen and calmed the hell down. Hopefully this won't require a doc visit and will go away.