Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Instant leg muscle seizure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Instant leg muscle seizure

I have borderline Grade 3-4 spondylolisthesis (sp?) stabilized with a rod at the L-4, L-5 and S-1 about 4 years ago.

Similar events of this feeling have occurred previously in recent months perhaps a half dozen times, but I thought maybe I'd moved to produce them. This time I was perfectly still. Looking back, I might have been still on other occasions as well or made only tiny shifts of my leg. Sometimes there was movement prior to the event.

This morning while lying in bed - without any moving on my part - the front of my left thigh seized up super tense instantly with severe pain from the origin to the insertions, from the hip to the top of the knee. It was not like a muscle cramp. I've had those and they feel much different both with the speed of onset and the type of pain these two different events produce. My cramps have more of a grabbing pain. Also, this morning's pain didn't burn or tingle. The muscle just became super rigid with that rigidity producing the pain, going from "0 to 100" instantly for the entire length of the muscles unlike a cramp that can quickly spread from a smaller locus in the belly of the muscle to a larger area with the intensity increasing quickly.

It was as if something popped at the top of my thigh rather than in the muscle and within 1/100th of a second or less the entire thigh joined in with equal intensity for the entire area including ligaments and tendons.
You may benefit from getting an Electromyogram (EMG) and a Nerve Conduction Study to check how well your spinal nerves and the nerves in your legs are working.

Also, it would be wise to rule out any tissue mineral deficiencies, specially
Magnesium and Potassium as they  play a vital role in normal nerve and muscle function.
It is always a good idea to verify that your potassium/sodium and magnesium/calcium ratios are proper, as well.

Best wishes.
Niko