Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Intermittent/Constant Throbbing back of the Head Headaches

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

This is more of a forum post rather than a question.  About a week ago, I started to get serious throbbing headaches in the back left side of my head.  As the headaches altered from extreme throbbing to a dull ache, I would usually think it was going away when experiencing the dull ache.  But then, the extreme would happen and I tried to lay down to rest.  That is when it really hurt as the throbbing would coincide with my heartbeat.  On day 5, the pain was unbearable where I went to the emergency room fearing the worst, i.e. head bleed or an aneursym, since I found on the internet that the worst headache of your life could be very dangerous. At the ER, they gave me a CT scan with negative results of sinus infection or aneursym...I was thankful.  But my blood pressure was extremely elevated.  As I was laying down and they were pumping me full of painkillers, the pain only subsided momentarily as the meds kicked in, then they would return.  They gave me blood pressure pill, painkiller and muscle relaxer perscriptions and I was on my way.  After 3 days of taking my meds the perscribed, the pain was still there. I felt like dying as the pain was so bad while I was sleeping, I had no choice but to get up and go to work at 3am (don't have to be at work until 7am).  But guess what, the pain stopped as I started to go to work.  Then I remembered that everytime I did walk around, the pain subsided.  When I sat or laid down, the pain started again.  Then I read that blood pressure drops extremely when standing and rises as you lay or sit down.  Now...did I mention I had hypertension?  THAT IS IT!  The headaches are caused by hypertension!  Now...did I mention I stopped taking my hypertension medication?  THAT IS IT!  These headaches are caused by my hypertension.  It is a way of my body telling me to lower my blood pressure and monitor.  

So I ask any individuals out there, have you experienced this before?  Are you having the same symptoms as I?  Do the experiment of standing up for a period of time...then lay down for a period of time.  As I sit here, my headache is coming back as it does when I sit and watch TV.  But when I was doing things in the garage, it went away.  BLOOD PRESSURE!  

This discussion is related to Constant back of head pressure headache.
Tags: Headache
1 Comment
A related discussion, Back Of The Head Constant 24/7 Pain was started.