Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Intermittent syrup smell in urine of healthy teen
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Intermittent syrup smell in urine of healthy teen

My 13yo son has an intermittent maple syrup smell to his urine.  This has occurred off and on since infancy.  Other than ADHD and dyslexia, he is a healthy kid.  Has had the usual childhood infections, but nothing impressive or strange.  I have read about classic MSUD and this is obviously NOT that, but what would cause the smell in an otherwise healthy kid?
Related Discussions
6 Comments
Blank
if you do a search on google their is a Maple syrup urine disease i dont know if it is anyway related but i thought it was worth you looking into it.
Blank
oh sorry i reread that you have already checked into that.
Blank
I went to my doctor stating that my urine had smelled odd off and on for a few weeks.  It went away for a few days but returned intermittently. Could find nothing wrong. Ran into a friend and we were discussing food, and she said "I'm so glad it's asparagus season - but I just hate how it makes my urine smell." Yep. That was it!

One of my meds also alters the urine's smell.
Blank
It took me YEARS to figure this one out, and finally I realized it was aparagus!  It gives kind of a sweet smell to urine.
Blank
Great comments.  My kid is an asparagus eater (only the tips :)).  I'll watch for pattern.  It still doesn't explain why it's been a problem since infancy, but maybe with breast feeding, then finger eating asparagus, that is the cause.
Blank
My mother used to tell me the story of the day my grandmother was diagnosed with diabetes.. my best guess would be early  1930's

The doc came to the house (!!!!!) and told my grammy to pee into a cup and put it in the cupboard overnight.  The next day he came back, smelled and tasted it.  It was sweet.  He gave her insulin and needles and told my grampa that he'd expect some good bacon come slaughtering time.  

Might be worth a check for diabetes if it runs in the family.  JD needs to be caught early.

--KK
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank