Intermittent syrup smell in urine of healthy teen
My 13yo son has an intermittent maple syrup smell to his urine.  This has occurred off and on since infancy.  Other than ADHD and dyslexia, he is a healthy kid.  Has had the usual childhood infections, but nothing impressive or strange.  I have read about classic MSUD and this is obviously NOT that, but what would cause the smell in an otherwise healthy kid?
if you do a search on google their is a Maple syrup urine disease i dont know if it is anyway related but i thought it was worth you looking into it.
oh sorry i reread that you have already checked into that.
I went to my doctor stating that my urine had smelled odd off and on for a few weeks.  It went away for a few days but returned intermittently. Could find nothing wrong. Ran into a friend and we were discussing food, and she said "I'm so glad it's asparagus season - but I just hate how it makes my urine smell." Yep. That was it!

One of my meds also alters the urine's smell.
It took me YEARS to figure this one out, and finally I realized it was aparagus!  It gives kind of a sweet smell to urine.
Great comments.  My kid is an asparagus eater (only the tips :)).  I'll watch for pattern.  It still doesn't explain why it's been a problem since infancy, but maybe with breast feeding, then finger eating asparagus, that is the cause.
My mother used to tell me the story of the day my grandmother was diagnosed with diabetes.. my best guess would be early  1930's

The doc came to the house (!!!!!) and told my grammy to pee into a cup and put it in the cupboard overnight.  The next day he came back, smelled and tasted it.  It was sweet.  He gave her insulin and needles and told my grampa that he'd expect some good bacon come slaughtering time.  

Might be worth a check for diabetes if it runs in the family.  JD needs to be caught early.

--KK