UNDIAGNOSED SYMPTOMS
COMMUNITY
Invisible Bugs crawling on skin? Strange sensation...
by Haywoodusmc, Nov 03, 2009
I posted this info before, but it was a reply to someone else's similar post...

I am a 23 year old healthy male. I recently had a full physical and the results were that I am in above average health. I have no diseases, do not use drugs, but drink on occasion.

Anyways, just started noticing these strange symptoms, within the past few weeks. Nothing "brought it on" so to speak that I can tell of. It's been going on longer, but less noticeable, now since I do not talk sleeping meds any more, it's all that I can notice...

Symptoms are strange sensations on my skin. The sensation is it feels like there are "invisible bugs" crawling on, and/or biting my skin. No actual bites, rashes, bugs, sores, or anything of the nature is ever visible. Occurs more at night, while laying down than any other time. The sensation occurs throughout my entire body, no area is exempt from this sensation, and it seems to be completely random, at times I'll feel it on my arm, then my face, then leg, then arm again, etc, no pattern. The sensation "goes away" once I touch the area (either itch it, brush at it as if there WAS a bug I am brushing off, slap it, or touch it in any way...)

I've heard that various forms of dry skin, or minor allergic reactions to soaps could produce such a problem... I have not changed body soaps, shampoos, or laundry detergent types in quite a while (well before such symptoms) I do not have dry skin, or any type of rash.

Ruled out dry skin

I've read about "Morgellons" (years ago, before it was a mainstream idea) and don't think that is what I have... I have no lesions, sores, boils, wounds, or anything of the sort, and no fibers protruding from anything.

Ruling out Morgellons.

I had read about the possibility of it being bed bugs (from reading sites like this online) so I tore my bedroom apart looking for signs of an infestation, and saw NOTHING. My mattress is brand new, the apartment I live in is also pretty close to brand new. Never the less, not a thing was found, searched mattress, box spring, walls near bed, everything.

Ruled out bed bugs.

The only other thing I've seen it could be is Restless Leg Syndrome. NOT sure about that, but I did hear that that sensation in the legs is a symptom of that, and that in some cases, the skin crawling sensation can occur all over the body, not just the legs, and still be considered RLS.

Undecided about RLS possibility.

The only other things I have going on that MAY be related, is an upper back pain/numbness... unknown cause. Been going on for years though. No diagnosis.

So basically I'm out of ideas, and about to go insane. It's terrible at night not being able to sleep because of that feeling, and not being able to sleep with my girlfriend because I keep her awake with my constant moving around and itching...
Member Comments (792)
by Dr. Kokil MathurBlank, Nov 04, 2009
Welcome to the forum!
A crawling sensation in skin is seen in people who are very anxious and stressed out. Very dry skin (you rule this out) and disorders of thyroid gland all can precipitate a crawling sensation. The other possibility is Morgellons disease often mimics scabies. The disease is  believed to be caused by weak immune systems in people that have contracted the tick-borne Lyme Disease at some point in their life. It can also be a fungal infection like Tinea corporis.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
by Haywoodusmc, Nov 04, 2009
I had my thyroid levels checked recently, it was like a full system physical, they checked for just about everything, all stds, blood sugar, everything. I just got out of the military so I guess the VA hospital wanted to rule out everything that ISN'T wrong with me, lol. So all the bloodwork and tests came back that I was perfectly fit, with no physical "conditions" so to speak.

So, I'm now kind of leaning towards the "Restless Leg Syndrome" conclusion... I know the symptoms are worse at night, and while not moving, I toss and turn all turn, and have leg and arm "spasms" both while laying down, sleeping, and sometimes just during the day. By spasm I mean a sudden, uncontrollable, jerking movement, like my leg kicking out really quick out of the blue...

I've heard about Morgellons, but to my knowledge have never had Lyme disease (and I think that is one of the diseases you'd know if you get)

I DID however have a completely unexplained rash on both of my ankles for about a year straight... nothing worked on it, and no Dr. ever told me what it could possibly be, they scraped the "sores" to check for scabies or any type of mite/parasite what have you, and came back with nothing. It was the most unpleasant skin condition I've ever encountered (worse than this sensation is now) because it was itchy and painful 24/7, it LOOKED horrendous, like I had some kind of terrible disease, and left scars on my ankles. At the time I didn't have the wherewithall to personally "inspect" the sores to see if they exhibited Morgellons like characteristics.
by LivingInHope, Nov 06, 2009
A relative of mine had people stay at her house that I believe gave her scabies.  She passed them on.  The doctor never did see the bugs on us, but gave elomite and we had all the clothes, sheets, etc. washed in hot water.  Scabies do tend to cause itching more at night.  We got better after the treatment.
by pammiemae, Dec 29, 2009
Dear Haywoodusmc,

I understand,I have morgellons and am an advocate working for others.
Please see.
www.morgellonsfocus.com

www.howicuredmorgellons.com

Hope I can help you in some small way, this is not from nerves,

Pamela Mae
by Cajunbugs, Feb 01, 2010
I have this exact same sensation! It has been driving me nuts for 5 months. I really hope this is RLS... Been to a dermatologist and he thought it was scabies. Was not. Still looking for an answer... Not Morgellons, not scabies, not dry skin. Need help.
by aviator5190, Feb 17, 2010
I have been dealing with the same symptoms for three years now. Crawling sensations, biting, and itching mostly at night. I have tried everything-scabies treatment, allergy tests, a/c duct cleaning, bombing house, nothing has worked. I contacted my local health department who said there are numerous mites and parasites that they are not even aware of yet. I do not see anything visible as far as bites, but I always find bumps almost like insect bites in my scalp, usually the back of the head. This always occurs when the condition is very bad. I have had relatives experience the same symptoms when they sleep at my home. I have come to the conclusion that this is a type of mite/parasite that no one is familiar with in the U.S. If someone is having the same symptoms and has found the problem, please let me know.
by EmbarkingUponALoss, Mar 11, 2010
man..Im glad Im not the only one..Ive been dealing with this for about 3 years and I just try to cope with it...my pops took me to a doctor and the doctor was acting as if I were crazy..so I stopped talking about it to people.....ever since that day I've just been secretly coping withit and not complaining about it, but man...its so crazy that something like this exist...its almost a mariacle to find out that Im not the only one dealing with it..Haywood I wsh you the best my friend...because this feeling is so creepy and such a mystery that All kinds of extreme ideas have crost my mind...when u feel like no one in the world can help u it will drive u to insanity and make u think about suicide and other ways to escape it........I mean who wants to live in a body that feels as if it were being consumed by nats that are entirely invisable...if u guys ever find a solution please help me because Im also running out of ideas...and I'm the type person that hates bugs and things like that so it completely freaks me out and is the grossest thing I have ever felt...hopefully we can find a way to help eachother my friend  
by Dean8, Mar 30, 2010
I have the exact problem as you describe it.  6 different illitrate doctors could not give me the right answer.  The last one said it is scabies, but I don't believe it because I share bed with family member, so why they don't get scabies?  unfortunatly we all just talk about it.  I saw many web sites and in each one of them many people describe there itch in the same way.  Some opportunists try to sale snake oil on internet to make a buck.  But there is no any educated  doctor to give any explenation.  
by washjo, Mar 31, 2010
I too have the exact problem and have had it for about two years.  I have tried almost every product on the market which has had various side effects.  Most recently I visited a Health store and they directed my to this product called Black Walnut & Wormwood herbal supplement.  I have found that this product seems to make them less active on your body when comsumed with some type of liquids.  I'm not saying that this is the cure, however it makes the crawling and biting subside for a period of time.