Is an average body temp of 96.5 to 97.5 a little low?
I bought two different thermometers by two different manufacturers.  I have taken my temperature multiple times with both of them the last two days and my temp always comes in between 96.5 and 97.5 (usually it right around 96.7).  

I have two questions:

Doesn't that seem way too low and could that be a sign of something wrong?

If that is MY normal temperature, then when my temp is at 99.0 degrees does that mean I have a fever?
I had the same thing. Eventually I was diagnosed with Hepatitis C that I contracted through a surgery.

Low temp can be a sign of other problems, I'd get it checked out if I were you. I'd be tested for Hep C and Hep B just for safety's sake to rule them out. I know most people think you had to have used IV drugs to get Hep C but that is NOT true, only about half of the people with it got it from using drugs, the rest picked it up somewhere else, they do not routinely test for it so you ahve to ask for the test.

You may want to have your physician check your thryoid. All it requires is a simple blood test.

Hypothyroidism causes a low body temp.
I have had a low temp all my life, same range as yours.  I've often thought that when my temp is 99 or above, I have a fever.  I also have low blood pressure, do you?  I don't think there's anything wrong with a lower body temp, it's just different.
What about in children? My child has been having a low temp of 96.3 for the past two days. They say she has an infection somewhere and they do not know where. I am worried.