Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Is my sinus and chest Infection Bacterial or Viral?Can it be the combin...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Is my sinus and chest Infection Bacterial or Viral?Can it be the combination of both?

I am from Russia.I've been here for 3 years ,never been seriously sick and did not need a doctor.I am sick now and I am confused about medications and treatments in this country.I have had severe cough and sinus congestion for 4-5 days; which is worse at night,I took oral decongestant psedoephedrine with guaifenesin  and I could not sleep two nights in a row, it kept me awake. I do not know if I should go to a doctor and spend money( as I do not have medical insurance,and it's expensive for me.), or should I continue to use over the counter medications and wait until it disappears by itself or I am afraid it might get worse. I can't miss work, I work on low hourly wages and I have to go to work no matter what.So I suffer.How do I know if my case is bacterial or viral? I have multiple symptoms -persistent cough I feel it in chest,stuffed nose with yellow liquid, and I had earache last night which got a little better today.I don't know if I have fever (I don't have any thermometer at home so I didn't measure it, it's hard to tell). Do I really need antibiotic(that means I have to go to the doctor and get a prescription)?,or should I endure all that if it's viral they say antibiotic does not help anyway,or can it be the combination of both viral and bacterial infection? How does the doctor know if the couse is viral or bacterial ,how do they make the desision if I need antibiotic or not? How can I get better without spending much money? What should I do ?      

It sounds like it could be a bacterial sinus infection because you have yellowish discharge from your nasal passages. If you are coughing up yellow or green mucus, you probably have bronchitis.

I hope you are feeling better by now. Sometimes waiting it out can work and/or using OTC remedies like saline for your sinuses can do wonders. If you aren't feeling better and still have the yellowish stuff --- I would see a physician.

You could be having sinusitis or rhinitis. Do you have associated symptoms of cough, wheeze, breathlessness, post nasal drip etc?

This seems to be bacterial most probably and you would need a course of antibiotics for the symptoms you are having.

You should try steam inhalation, saline nasal drops and oral antihistamine medications for your complaints and see if it helps with the symptoms.

You should see your doctor and get a clinical examination for a diagnosis and to evaluate if any investigations are required including blood tests, chest xray and CT scan of the sinuses.

Are you allergic to any specific substances or have had allergic reactions in the past?

You could read the following link -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinusitis

Let us now about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.