Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Itching Everywhere?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Itching Everywhere?

Sorry if this question has been asked many times before, but apparently I'm having red, itchy bumps all over my body; armpits, arms, neck, chest (including breasts), back, abdomen, legs, and around my private. Apparently none are on my face and feet. This has been happening for about four days now, and I've tried to use itch cream/powder. I used an allergy tablet to see whether I could cure it or not and I've recently took a shower with an anti-bacterial soap; and these itches are still persistent! What could be the symptom and the cause?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Dry skin is the commonest cause of generalized itching. Itch starts first and scratching can cause welts to appear. Applying a moisturizer and using only soaps that are gentle on the skin is helpful in this case. Hypothyroidism too causes dry skin. Please get your thyroid function checked. It could also be due to overuse of AC and heaters.  (If you have blisters at tip of fingers and dry skin then you need to rule out certain conditions such as diabetes, psoriasis, hypothyroidism, contact dermatitis, atopic dermatitis and malnutrition.)
Generalized itching can be due to allergy or urticaria. Urticaria is usually triggered by allergens, such as drugs, foods, insect bites, inhaled substances, in response to sunlight, cold, heat, stress, exercise, or a viral infection. Other common allergens are pollen, mold, dust, pet dander, or cosmetics. Food allergies like to gluten, lactose, sea food, and alcohol etc too should be looked into. It could also be due to new soap, talcum powder, clothes etc. Since you experienced an itch, just go over these possibilities in your mind. Something may strike you. You must get an allergy test done, either a skin test or RAST, to know what you are allergic to. Fungal infections like tinea corporis and tinea cruris too cause whole body itching along with genital itching. Liver problems too can cause generalized itching.
If the itch is only in the exposed part, it can also be due to sun allergy. Pubic and body lice can be another cause. Worms are another cause of both anal and body itch and hence get a stool test. It could also be due to low estrogen. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!
This sounds alot like Chicken pox. It is best to see a doctor to find out for sure. Chicken pox is contagious and takes 2 weeks to fully run it's course. If that's what what it is, warn anyone who has never had it and especially stay away from children. You'll also want to try to avoid scratching the bumps. If you you scratch them, they will leave permanent marks. For itching relief, use calamine lotion, and take an oatmeal bath, using a Colloidal oatmeal. I think the Aveeno brand makes this in the form of a lotion and a mix for your bath. Good luck!
See your doctor! better than guessing.