Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Itchy Skin w/out Rash

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Itchy Skin w/out Rash

Thank you for your response Doctor;

24 year old male; do not smoke or drink; had a normal CBC and metabolic panel done this past summer (July or so; how long are these results good for?).

For the past 4 days I have been experiencing what seems to be itchy skin, mainly on my legs, arms, and sometimes my feet and hands. It seems to be generalized (except for the torso and back), and there is no sign of a rash anywhere. I am also not allergic to anything, and do not even get seasonal allergies. I think I would normally overlook such itchy skin and chalk it up to dry skin/stress/etc, but I googled this symptom (I know, bad idea) and everything from leukemia to lymphomas as possibilities showed up. Needless to say, I am not increasingly concerned with the possible relationship between this symptom and something sinister. As I said before, this itch is not very severe, and a simply scratch here and there will stop the itch right away. I will be home from school in 3 weeks and am not able to see me PCP until then, and would like to know, hypothetically, if an itch such as this one is usually related to internal diseases. Also, no night sweats, fever, weight loss, and no swollen glands that I can feel.

Thanks a lot!
Widespread itching can be from many different conditions, one is called urticaria.  Urticaria typically looks like a rash that is red, raised and itchy.  It is an itch that does not go away just from a simple scratch, it is something that often comes and stays, although it can come and go depending on what's causing it.  An allergist is the best person to consider causes, sometimes skin testing can show what's the problem.  Oftentimes no cause can be found.

Without a rash, a mild itch can easily be caused by dry skin, a moisturizer is helpful.

Very rarely, itching can be from cancer, but is an unlikely cause.

Enoch Choi, MD
It should also be noted that I have OCD, and tend to obsess over health related issues. Could stress play a part in this?