Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Itchy Swollen Legs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Itchy Swollen Legs

Well I have pitting edema in my legs and a varicose in one, lots of spider veins..I have some major swelling and itching that's mostly at night...when I walk you can see the water move in my legs..the doc has given me water pills,and seems to do no good..I also get numb fingers,but I don't know if the two go hand in hand..I'm 28 years old...5'1 and 184 lbs I would love to walk and work out but my legs just don't have the strength..Please help..Thank You..

There are many causes for edema in both legs. “Leg swelling generally occurs because of an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the tissues of the lower extremity. The medical term for leg swelling from excessive fluid in the tissues is edema. Persisting indentation of a swollen leg after pressure from a finger is known as pitting edema.

Less common causes of leg swelling include diseases that cause thickness of the layers of skin, such as scleroderma and eosinophilic fasciitis. In these diseases, the leg swelling is characterized by non-pitting edema.

Causes of Leg Swelling
• Baker Cyst
• Cellulitis
• Cirrhosis Of The Liver
• Congestive Heart Failure
• Eosinophilic Fasciitis
• Kidney Failure
• Scleroderma
• Idiopathic Edema (Swelling of Unknown Cause, typically in women)
• Leg Vein Obstruction
• Medications
• Nephrotic Syndrome
• Phlebitis
• Salt Retention
• Trauma Injury (Contusion, Hematoma)”
In your case it is probably due to varicose veins. Taking medication to remove water will not help until the cause is removed. You can wear special stockings, loose weight if you are overweight or undergo sclerotherapy or surgery. Refer: http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/guide/cosmetic-procedures-spider-veins

Please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else.

Im very carefull and dont add salt to anything.Is there a blood test or anything that can pin point where to look first? That you know of?

More than blood tests you need color Doppler to pinpoint the location of faulty valve that is causing varicose veins. Here are a few causes of varicose veins:
Heredity.
Occupations that involve a lot of standing, such as nurses, beauticians, teachers, and factory workers.
Obesity.
Hormonal influences during pregnancy, puberty, and menopause.
The use of birth control pills.
Postmenopausal hormonal replacement.
A history of blood clots.
Conditions that cause increased pressure in the abdomen including tumors, constipation, and externally worn garments like girdles.

Please see a surgeon for this. Let me know if there is anything else.

is there anything i can do for the constant iching? I have been taking hot bath's,its driving me crazy..I was taking Ibprofin for the pain and swelling but seems that doesnt even work anymore..Thank you

There are OTC antihistamines available and also anti allergic medications that will control the itch. In your case it’s probably due to the skin stretching. Application of moisturizers, calamine lotions, oils etc should also help. While sleeping, elevate your legs on at least 3 pillows. Whenever you sit raise your legs to your buttocks level. If you need to stand for long, keep shifting your weight from one leg to another and keep moving your legs. Tight stockings or crepe bandage too can help reduce the swelling.
I would again lay emphasis on your consulting a surgeon soon. Please do not delay things further. Please let me know if there is any thing else.
3 wks ago I smacked my shin so severely I went to the hospital for xrays.  The bones were fine but the xray should a severe contusion down to the muscle.  I was told to rest, ice and elevate.  Before it got better the leg swelled up and bruised all the way down to the ankle.  The skin was stretched, shiny and numb to the touch. There is no more swelling or pain but now the lower leg is severly itchy.  The skin is pealing as if I had a sunbrun.  Is this normal?

Based on your history of trauma, it could be cellulitis or phlebitis. However it is difficult to diagnose without examining. Skin peels off whenever there is infection like cellulitis or phlebitis or even when there is edema. I urge you to see a doctor soon. Maybe if there is infection, you would need a course in antibiotics too.
Earlier I think you talked of swelling in legs. Is it just one leg or both the legs? Whatever the case may be, please see a doctor at the earliest.