Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Jaw twitch

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Jaw twitch

i get a twitch in the neck muscles between my jaw and collarbone. it happens sometimes during speech but mainly when i am reading. it gets so bad that it actually makes it almost impossible for me to read
That is nothing to be concerned about.  Muscles sometimes tend to twitch from over use or laying a certain way.  For a fun exercise, lay on the floor and prop yourself up on your non-dominate arm.  Hold yourself there till the muscle gets very tired, then rest a few minutes, then try to hold something steady, you will notice your hand and arm will twitch and jitter and you won't be able to hold it.  Same thing here.  If it gets too annoying to stand, ask a doctor :)
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The first thing to be ruled out is TMJ and cervical spinal nerve compression. I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Certain sleep disorders and peripheral nerve disorders due to diabetes or hypothyroidism can also be the cause.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!