Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Joint Stiffness and Pain in 19-year-old Female

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Over the past couple months I've been noticing my joints starting to become stiff and sore to move, especially in my legs, back, hands and shoulders. I sustained a mild shoulder injury last July, but other than that I can't think of any explication. Any suggestions as to what might be going on or what I can do to make the pain and stiffness go away is greatly appreciated.
You are young enough that with a descripton of you stiff and sore joints your doctor may want to be trying to rule out rheumatoid arthritis.  

Do you have any other symptoms?  If so, there are other things which have joint pain as one of a list of symptoms having to do with endocrine abnormalities.

Has any serious damage been ruled out with your shoulder injury with diagnostic testing?  If so, have they referred you for physical therapy for this?

If you sit at the computer for hours at a time, getting up and moving regularly might help.  Good posture and taking care not to overuse the joints are pluses.  

Exercise is often encouraged when a person has stiff sore joints, and if necessary, due to pain, exercise in a heated pool takes the gravity weight off the joints while helping them to remain as mobile as possible.  If you don't have one, do you have a local Y/exercise place with one near you?

You might try moist heat for the pain and making sure it's not too cold where you are spending time.

1 Comment