Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Joint stiffness, swelling, pain-- knees, elbow, neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

So my question is kind of all over the board so I'm not sure the best place to post, so I'm adding it to more than one forum..

I'm 26, pretty healthy, and exercise at least 60 minutes 4x a week.
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/hypothyroid in September. They have been adjusting my meds ever since, trying to get the right dose. They just lowered my dose from 125 mcg to 112 mcg because now I'm hyperactive.
About two weeks ago I started having stiffness in my right knee. At first it was mild, but got gradually worse. I couldn't bend the knee but could bear weight and hobble around. Then it started getting better (with use of ice, elevation, compression, etc). Then, my neck got very stiff and I could barely turn it. This lasted about three days and is now getting better. Three days ago my knee got worse again.. Worse than before, pain this time, and obvious swelling, could barely walk because couldn't bend my knee (using cruches now). Slight fever and chills which lasted only about two or three hours. Now, left elbow and left knee are getting stiff and the knee is swelling a bit. It's scary because they don't know what's causing it yet. I'm worried both my legs will be so stiff I won't be able to walk.

My doctors tested me and x rayed and ruled out (for now) gout, rheumatoid arthritis, Lyme, fracture or break, and they dont think it's a sprain, strain, overuse injury, etc. Or blood clot, which I specifically asked them about and they said no.

Could this be thyroid related?

They are sending me to a rheumatologist but I was told I wont be able to get in for about two weeks at least.

My only other suspicion.. Four days before the knee issues first started I switched my birth control pill from yaz (which i love but was expensive) to beyaz (which they told me was basically the same..) I think it might be a reaction, so as of today I won't be taking them anymore and will be switching back to yaz.
I just came across your post because I'm searching for someone with similar symptoms as I have. I have swollen and stiff knees, so I hobble around, my left elbow is painful and stiff, and my neck is stiff also. I was tested for Lyme, mono, CMV and a bunch of other things with no conclusive results. X-rays also showed nothing but inflammation (which you don't need x-rays to see).
I also had been taking YAZ and I switched to the generic about a year and a half ago because of insurance coverage.
Now that it's a year after your post, can you tell me what it was in the end? My rheumatologist thinks it's a virus, but he still wants to test me as time goes on.
Any light you can shed?
Debbie
Any light you can shed?
Debbie
Hi Debbie,
I wish I could offer you a solution, but I actually just posted this about a week ago so no conclusions yet. I'm supposed to see a rheumatologist soon, but I'm still waiting to hear when my appointment will be.

I'm not saying I'm happy to hear someone else has these symptoms, but it makes me feel a little better knowing I'm not alone in this.
One of my several theories is that it is a virus, so it's interesting to hear your rheumatologist said this also.

How long have you had these symptoms? Mine started about a month ago, got gradually worse, then better, then worse again, now better again.... I've been trying not to push myself in terms of physical activity, I was actually on crutches for awhile as per my doctor but then both knees were stiff so there was no point in using the crutches anymore, and I've been taking aleve, using ice and heat therapy, and that's about it. Just treating the symptoms, and it seems to be helping.

Although, like I said, all this started four days after I started taking Beyaz...  so I stopped taking it about a week ago. I figured that if it's from that, I don't ever want to take it again. If your symptoms persist without reason, I might try switching back to Yaz if you can afford it (I know it can be expensive, which is why I tried Beyaz), and see if your symptoms ease up.

Good luck and keep me updated, and I'll do the same,