Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Kidneys or Achey(achy) Muscles???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Kidneys or Achey(achy) Muscles???

when i sleep on my back, i wake up with back/kidney pain.  it's just a dull, ache & gets worse when i take a deep breath.  it gets better after i go to the bathroom (pee), which leads me to think it's my kidneys.  i doesn't happen unless i've slept on my back.  it's located between my ribs and hips.  i'm going to try to not drink anything after 6pm & see if it still does it.  
If you are urinating ok, the urine does not have an unusual color and/or smell and no constant pain then I doubt it is a kidney problem.

How old is your mattress?  

I had the same problem 9 years ago and it ended up being that I needed a new mattress because the old one was causing alot of lower back pain.

If it persists, I would recommend an appointment with your PCP/Family Physician.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If lying on your back causes ache in the kidney region that is relieved by passing urine, then it could be due to infection or due to stones in the kidney. You can get this tested by examination of urine and by an abdominal ultrasound. The other possibility is a spinal nerve compression. If kidney problems are ruled out, then this should be investigated.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!
I saw my doctor today & she referred me to a Urologist.  The appointment is in a couple of weeks, so I'll be sure to update.  Thank you for your reply!