Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Knee Pain and Swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Knee Pain and Swelling

Over the past few weeks, I have been in pain because of my left knee. My symptoms are as follows: swelling, pain while standing, pain while sitting or laying, bruiseing mainly on the outside lower part of the kneecap, sharp pains from my knee to my ankle, sharp pains from my knee up to my hip, and feeling of wanting to buckle.

I also have an urge to move my leg towards my body in hopes to stop the cramping pain while I sit.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be ailing me and how to fix it?

Thanks for any suggestions.
I don't have an answer but would like to hear any responses. I have many of the same symptoms in my left knee and leg.

1. It doesn't hurt to walk, but it doesn't hurt after going for a walk. For example, I can walk the dog for a mile and I'm fine. But about 20-30 min after I'm done everything starts aching.
2.I get pain that radiates from my knee to my ankle and up to my hip.

3.I can't squat. Most regular range of motion with knee doesn't hurt, but bending my knee close to 45 degree angle hurts.

4. I can't kneel on my knee. For example, if I try to get on my bed with my left knee bearing wait I get pain and a feeling of knee wanting to give.

5.If I stand too long then I get pain.

6. Getting up after sitting for awhile and my knee is 'stiff' and takes a bit to work out the pain. It will hurt going down the stairs. Getting up after a nights sleep it's fine.

7. Pain seems to be in back of knee and on left outside of knee.

8. Have noticed little swelling and bruising. Just a bit but nothing huge.

I went to my chiro and he claims there is bone out of place below my knee that he readjusts. Its hard to know if it helps because when he adjusts it isn't hurting. I think there has to be more than that though because bending close to 45 degree is so painful.

Any suggestions?

Do you remember getting hurt in your knees?
The swelling and the pain in the knee suggests the possibility of arthritis. Other causes could be gout and meniscus injury. Radiating pains from knee also indicates a nerve compression.
It is very difficult to pinpoint at the exact cause. without clinical examination and running some tests. I would suggest you to seek consultation with an orthopedic surgeon as soon as you can. Take care!
Thank DrNoopuMD,

Thanks for the response.

I do not remember getting hurt. In fact it seemed to come on slowly and get a little worse over time. It's been going on for about 3 months. My health insurance is kicking in in August so I'm trying to figure out who I should see. One thing that has become clear reading these boards is that there is a wide range of skills when it comes to diagnosing knee injuries.

You suggest a orthopedic surgeon? Is there such thing as a just a orthopedic doctor? I want to avoid surgery if at all possible and would like to find a doctor that would work with finding a 'natural' cure if it can be done.

Thanks,
bobbi

An orthopedic doctor will be just as good, he is qualified to do surgery wherever needed.
Treatment will mostly depend on the diagnosis. I would suggest you to find a good orthopaedician in your area and seek his consultation. I wish you luck and do keep me posted.