Knee problem
For some reason lately I cannot squat or  bend my knees.  Not because of the knee cap but behind the knee. It feels like something is being compressed or squashed and the feeling actually goes all the way into my calf  
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
This can be due to tendonitis, bursitis, stiff knee, rheumatoid arthritis, atherosclerosis, deep vein thrombosis or due to popliteal cysts.
It is difficult to diagnose on net. Please consult an orthopedic specialist. Take care!

you may have some torn cartilage. I have knee problems and have had 3 surgeries. when i bend my knee it pops and grinds. My leg from the knee down goes numb from time to time. You may even have a pinched nerve. but i am not a doctor so the best thing to do would be go to a orthopedic.
Thanks for the comments.  Have made an appointment.  Hope not something serious.  Bending the knee itself is okay, it is what is "behind" the knee that is causing the problem and which is preventing me from kneeling etc.  Feels like there is something behind the knee that extends into the back of the calf muscle.  Will see what the doctor says.