Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Knee stiffness, back pain, leg pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Knee stiffness, back pain, leg pain

I am a male in my late 20's and have been experiencing chronic joint, back, and leg stiffness and pain. First there were traces of blood in my urine. I have been to neurologists, and urologists. I have taken MRI and a battery of other tests and exams and still  no one can tell me what the problem is. One doctor told me that my reflexes were too good (first time I heard that before), and sent me to someone else, I was tested for kidney stones, prostate, and even had the whole battery of sexually transmitted diseases, everything was fine. I started seeing a chiropractor and I am still experiencing stiffness and pain. I can hear my bones cracking when I bend my knees. I also periodically experience twitching and numbness in my limbs. The problem is so bad that I can no longer lift weights and exercise. I also hear noise in my ear. Anything would help, thank you.
I have symptoms very muck like yours. My pain, soreness, weakness and stiffnes is in my legs, although, I too have muscle spasms in my back.  I too have been to many doctors and they still don't know what the problem is.  I don't think they understand the degree of stiffness and pain that I am describing to them.  I have decided that I must become my own advocate.  

Just yesterday I discovered something that may hold the answer.  I googled stiff legs and stiff muscles and fell upon something called "Stiff Man's Disease."  It's actually called Moersch-Woltmann Syndrome.  I located some research that is being done for a medication for the disease at the National Institue of Health and a doctor who is known for treating it in California. There is a blood test for it, but, there is a chance of a false negative.

According to this board's rules, I don't think I am allowed to list names and websites to the links I am describing, so I won't.   But also search for a website in which a sufferer logs his progress through the disease for a couple of years.  He believed his  was brought on by allergies. He underwent treament for the allergies and ended up going back to weight lifting.  

I am now trying to find a doctor who is familar with the disease in my area.  I don't want to go to Californa from the east coast unless I have to.  From my readings, most neurologiests are in the dark on this condition because it is so rare.  Most have never treated it.  I fear I would be wasting my time with a doctor who has not dealt with it before.  Good luck.

It may be worth checking into this if nothng else than to rule it out.  Are you diabetic?  This disease if found more often in Type I Diabetics.
have you seen a rhuematologist?
also besides the ringing in your ears and blood in the urine (which is probably unrelated- - males have higher chance of hearing loss /ringing in the ears at your age- but you should still f/u just to be sure- what do you mean by noise?)
You may be experiencing deferred pain from an injury or pressure on nerves in the spinal chord which can be difficult to diagnose.And weight lifting can cause unnoticed injury to tendons and ligaments throughout the body- again difficult to diagnose. Physical therapy is always helpful, and a good PT will be able to tell you what muscle groups/tendons are being affected in order to locate a possible injury.
There is tendonitis, bursitis, and other conditions that are possible but unless you have the training, you may be causing yourself unneeded anxiety by trying to self diagnose.
   But going from Doctor to Doctor, waiting , etc. can get frustrating I know. In the mean time you can minimize the pain by promoting good posture and building muscle around weak areas, and build core muscles to help take off any unnescessary strain. In this a physical therapist( not a chiropractor) will be very helpful; As is pilates and especially Yoga- I know you hear it all the time, but it works- I have chronic pain that is relieved some by yoga and keeping good posture. And I am definitely not the yoga type; but like it or not it is low impact, it makes you more aware of my body/posture, it elongates and stretches muscles and builds your core; Just make sure you modify the postures to fit your capabilities.
   I wish you luck- hope you have followed up with an expert in sports related injury which sounds like a good bet; I took Gymnastics at a young age and my knees have constantly cracked and popped since. and with my chronic pain in my upper body- it just serves as a constant reminder of the consequences of impact sports I have faced when it comes to my musculoskeletal system today.I am only 26.
Keep up the faith
Thanks for the suggestions. I do not have diabetes or any other illness, besides whatever is going on with my body. Until I find out what's going on I guess I'll have to find ways to live with it. I'll start by stretching, then move on to other exercises.  With this type of stiffness and pain it really stops me from doing the simple things such as walking in a mall.
I also experience the same pain, I had a MRI done and blood work and everything comes back great! I love to exercise and work out and play sports and ride my bike, but as of August 1, 2008 I can't. The pain is so painful. So today when I got the call nothing showed up in my MRI I decided to try and work out.... Wrong thing to do, cause now I can hardly stand up....
We know our bodies and know when something is wrong and I understand they can't fix something they can't see what is wrong especially after have Mri done. We are not crazy, and something is wrong. I to have decide to try and work past it. Can't afford the medicial bill but can't afford to have pain like this either. It makes me scream and stop in my tracks. The pain is so bad you can't even move once the pain start till it stops. It is like it locks up for a few minutes and stops and after wards feels like a bad charliehorse....
I notice when the pain start and leaning forward helps alot.
Good luck, to us all!
God Bless and take care and remember we are not crazy.