Knot, hard painful
Last night while washing my hair I felt a hard knot, very painful to the touch behind my left ear, but on part of my skull(i guess) in my lower hair line, the other side has nothing like it. It's hard and doesn't move when I touch it, it is very sore. What should I do?
ok, i have that sometimes, most of the tim i just put grabacin(its an antibiotic ointment) on it for a couple of days and it dissapears, it not serious, can be painful, but i lernt not to poke it,that now makes a wound, but it should dissapear.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
It is difficult to comment without examination.  Lump behind the ear which is hard and painful could be an abscess, folliculitis (hair follicle infection), an infected cyst, an inflamed lymph node or a neurofibroma (localized harmless swelling in of nerve and connective tissue). However swollen lymphnodes behind your ears could be due to chest infection, tonsillitis or pharyngitis, dandruff, or infection of ear.
The inflamed nodes settle down with time. However, it is important you consult a doctor and get this examined. If it is an abscess or infected cyst, it will need to be drained. If it is hair follicle infection, it will need warm compress, antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. Neurofibroma that is causing pain will need to be excised. Usually a CT or fine needle aspiration cytology is done for diagnosis.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
Hi Darla, i sometimes get some of those, when i get them they are  a pimple. But you should try to keep an eye on it and if comes to it go to your doctor to make sure it's not serious.