Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Knuckle pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Knuckle pain

I have had a swollen middle finger on my right hand for almost a year now. It has been very painful especially at the middle knuckle. I have taken prednisone and in larger doses the pain and swelling abates but the effects of the prednisone are not wanted. In the past two months the pain at the knuckle subsided but moved to were the finger connects to the hand  and that also swells but the finger as a whole is still swollen. During the past monthe the pain and swelling has moved to the ring finger on the same hand and has lessened on the middle finger but it is still swollen. There have also been time sthat the top of my middle arm gets painful but that comes and goes.

When the initial problem occured the doctors felt it was an infection. There was an infection in the tip of my middle finger. The gave me a shot of gamma gobulin and put me on bactrim. I went home and soaked my finger in hot water and the end of the figer produced three areas of pus. Thought it was the end of it. But the issue did not go away.

Have had bone exrays twice to check for infection but there was nothing. Doctor put me on Bactrim again for two weeks but there was no effect.

Stopped going to the doctor because it appeared to be a waste of time and money.

Does anyone have any thoughts??

**
1 Comment

How are you?
I would suggest you to get yourself screened for arthritis. Other causes that need to be excluded are diabetes, peripheral neuropathy, nerve compression, trauma, and peripheral arterial diseases.
Please discuss these possibilities with your PCP and get further evaluation done.
Take care!