Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
LDL

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

LDL

I am 26, male, 6'2 and 195 pounds, fairly active, have a fairly healthy diet, no significant medical history other than an appendicitis when I was 9, and no one in my family has any health issues or cardiovascular disease.

Recently I had blood work done and a lipid panel was as follows: total cholesterol - 117; triglycerides - 53; hdl - 33; ldl - 73.

The only abnormality was the HDL at 33, which is low.  However, I am wondering if a LDL of 73 qualifies as low and perhaps as hypobetalipoproteinemia?  I have read that in persons without the genetic disorder, this can be indicative of certain cancers.

I have been having various GI problems such as bloating, bulky stools that float, strangely shaped stools, and loud abdominal noises.  A colonoscopy was normal.  

Also, a CT scan of the pelvis one year ago revealed a 1.5cm lucency in the right intertrochanteric region, which the radiologist said "may represent a fibrous or cartilageous lesion."  The radiologist also said an MRI should be done if clinically indicated; however, at the time there was no apparent problem.  Now, a year later, my hip has started to hurt and therefore I am going to be having an MRI soon.

Anyway, I am concerned that the lesion that showed up in my hip could be a malignancy that is also causing hypobetalipoproteinemia, as evidenced by my LDL of 73.  Perhaps this is also related to the GI symptoms (for example, maybe I have a malignancy that is causing GI symptoms, perhaps a tumor in the small intestines, as well as a tumor in my hip).

Thank you so much for any advice.
A bone scan or MRI can give further clarity to the hip lesion, and is recommended in light of the hip pain.

If there is concern about hypobetalipoproteinemia, further lab studies, including a blood count, stool studies and evaluation of the liver should be considered.  

A normal colonoscopy should exclude colon cancer.  An upper endoscopy can be discussed to exclude malignancy of the upper GI tract.  I would also perform stool tests to exclude malabsorption and blood tests to look for celiac disease.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
When a doctor orders more tests, then a fairly healthy diet is not good enough. I know you don't eat cabbage, and I foresee prescriptions against Helicobacter Pylori.