Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Large knots in the back of my neck

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Large knots in the back of my neck

I am 31, and have had headaches and a very large knot on the back side of my neck for almost a year.  Recently the other side has developed a knot as well.  These are alongside my spine - upper near my hairline and fairly deep.  I have to roll my neck to the side to locate them.  
Last summer I developed a severe headache that lasted three days at the time of the initial swelling.  Shortly after I had two CTS done of my head - though they came back normal.  
Now, a year later, I have maintained headaches and the swelling, though it seems like the size changes all the time.
My doctor laughed when I suggested that they were lymph nodes...saying that there were none in that spot.  
I feel fatigued...and have worried myself sick over these knots. I have had mono in the last few years...
My current concern is that the nerves right in the middle of the eyebrow have started to become inflamed...possibly due to compression?  
My doctor attributes everything to stress. He says to stay off the computer and stop looking for illnesses.
Any advice?  No other symptoms...no fever, rash, night sweats, or other problems.
Thanks...Abilene
I've learned the lastseveral weeks dr's can be absolute jerks when you suggest what you fear may be wrong. I'm sure if itwere lymph nodes he would have checked them out. I had a node biopsied that a nurse said was just a cyst. So what the hell did she know? And she was who was seeing patients that day instead of dr. It turned out fine, but  keep doing your research.YOU know your body, they don't. I am still looking for a dr who will LISTEN and not laugh at my suggestions.
Avatar n tn
I have had the same thing and I have been living with it for about 8 years.  When it first started the "knot" was tiny.  The dr thought maybe it was a bone spur, well that wasn't it.  Then said it was stress.  Then fibromyalgia.  I also experience vertigo and get severe headaches, now I get several muscle knots and they can get big.  An allergist told me it could be my sinuses causing the headaches and I should have surgery (though he admitted it may not cure the headaches??????).  I am still searching for someone to figure out what's wrong.  I have found a possibility for me on the internet, I just need to see a dr now, cervical stenosis.  Anyway, don't give up and good luck.