"Leaking" Kidney.
I HAD TO SPEND A NIGHT IN HOSPITAL THREE WEEKS AGO DUE TO HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE (I'M 64, MALE). THEY CHANGED MY MEDICATION  BUT SAID THEY WANTED ME TO HAVE A SCAN TO DETERMINE IF MY KIDNEY WAS "LEAKING". A LADY FROM THE HOSPITAL CALLED ME THIS MORNING TO SAY THAT I COULD GO IN FOR THE SCAN TODAY AND AFTER ASKING A FEW QUESTIONS SHE SAID THAT ONE? OF MY ENZYMES WAS ELEVATED. CAN YOU THROW SOME LIGHT ON THIS FOR ME?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
High concentrations of GGT are found in the liver, bile ducts, and the kidney. Hence kidney and urinary problems could be causing the high GGT level. AST (SGOT) can also rise in kidney problems. When kidney is damaged due to high BP or infection, its filtration process gets affected and it starts throwing out important minerals. This is a leaking kidney. Alternatively BP can rise because of kidney damage.
I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Hope this helps. Take care!