Left Side of my face Swollen
A few days ago I woke up @ 6am and my face was a little puffy. I went back to sleep and woke again @ 9:30 am. By this time, my whole left side of my face was swollen. I also had other symptoms such as left side of the body weakness, headaches, and pain throughout my body, but moreso on my left side. I went to the ER and they did blood tests and a CAT Scan, but everything came out normal. The swelling went down and they sent me home, but the next day the problem reoccured. I have no idea what this could be and it scares me a little. Can you help me figure out what could be the cause of my pain and swelling?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If along with swelling you have discomfort opening your mouth or while chewing, then the swelling could be due to TMJ. Other possibilities are dental infection, cellulitis (infection under the skin), lymphedema (due to faulty lymph channel), sinusitis affecting the maxillary or cheek bone, or a deep seated cyst.
If you have swelling only in one half of the face, then the cause has to be local. It can be ear infection, dental infection, local cancer or even blockage of salivary glands. It can also be chronic sinusitis. The other possibility is a venous or vascular pooling due to clots or deep vein thrombosis. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please consult your doctor. Take care!
well i just went thrugh this with my 10 year old son exsactly he had facal  celulitis  and was put on an anibiotic and ibprofine for the pain and it went away within a week his face looked like mike tyson beet his face thats how bad it was swolen
Makes sense, but how would you explain the left side of the body weakness. My cheek was the only part of my face that hurt and my left side of my face was swollen to the point that I could barely open my eye. I was told by the ER that it might be my thyroid. Is that possible? Well I go to see my family physician tomorrow and I will post what he tells me.
so it turns out it was an allergic reaction to a pain killer called TRAMADOL. So now my dr. put me on IBProfen 800. Its okay I guess.