Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Left leg swollen but moreso the left foot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

DESPERATE TO FIND OUT WHAT IS WRONG!
I have severe swelling in my left foot and ankle area and it sometimes goes up my left leg.  Everytime I go to the hospital or ER they hook me up to IV's, run an EKG and than do blood work.  They tell me I test positive for blood clots (I am not on supplements) and then they do ultrasound tests as well as dye tests and can come up with nothing.  Current lab work shows high potassium and sodium.  Sometimes I crave sugar and other times I feel almost faint or shake until I have something sweet.  If I drink just water and vinegar my foot is less swollen but any sweet tea, semi-dry wine or soda, you can see the swelling almost immediately.  I have been to a varicose vein surgeon and he said this is not my problem.  I had lab work done on my liver and spleen which showed obesity (i am 5'6 and 125 pounds) and clots on same but than had an ultrasound on my liver and spleen with again no problems shown.  I am a marathon runner but when I run or walk I see a decrease in the swelling and purplish color of my foot!  I wear an orthopedic stocking when the swelling is so bad I cannot wear a shoe and the swelling goes down after about 8 hours.  I do sit all day at work but walk at lunchtime.

PLEASE HELP.....I don't know where to turn....

Thanks for your time,
I think you need to see a Heptologist. An ultrasound is not enough information, it can tell you if you have a mass or a tumor but the gold srandard to access liver damage is a biopsy. Having an ultrasound that comes out good doesn't tell you much, you need to look deeper. Have you had a hepatic blood panel done? I think you should have one, it is a simple blood test. Did they find fatty liver on the ultrasound? You need to figure out why this happens, do you have other symptoms? Have you been checked for viral hepatitis b and c? I'd be sure and rule that out. I would avoid all alcohol until you get to the borrom of this.
I had hcv for four months in 1966-67, I was hospitalized, had 2 liver biopsies, confirming hep and all those trimmings!  I was treated with nothing but bed rest and lots of liquids, juice, water, etc..  I have never been with a lot of energy since!  I have been for sometime!  Having spleen swelling, leg swelling, stomach swelling!  Joint and muscle roving pains!  I am not sure if it is related to hepatitis!
I have the same exact problem and I have absolutely NOO idea what it is either. The doctors can't figure it out either. I was fine until 3 years ago when I had my daughter. I have extremely high blood pressure & was diagnosed with pre-clampsia. I was put in the hospital at 5 1/2mts. After a few weeks, my left foot started swelling real bad. All the doctors and nurses told me that it was just the pregnancy and should go away after I had the baby. Well, I had her at 7 1/2 mts and she is 3yrs now and it is still there. I can't wear any regular shoes now, just tennis shoes. If anyone out there has any idea what this might be, please let me know.
Sincerely
I have the exact same problem, I have seen the doctors a repeated amount of times, yet agin no result, blood tests and ultra sounds also!! its horrible, if anyone knows any remedies HEELLPP!!  thank you
xx
A related discussion, left leg swollen??? what all do i need to ask doctor was started.
I have the same problem, I've been vac for Hep A and B, it's not that. I've also been tested for Hep C rescently. I will tell you this... The only time I seem to obtain relief is when I see my acupuncturist. He knows exactly where to place the NEEDELS that make the swelling disappear. It's in no way permanent. But it works. It doesn't explain why or what causes it. But it works! I hope this helps some of you.