Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Left shoulder blade pain with tingling in hand

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have pain behind my left shoulder blade and below my left collar bone. There is tingling in my left hand and general weakness in the left arm. Supporting the arm at a 90 degree angle is the most comfortable position and allowing the arm to dangle by the side is the most painful. There is no relief or pain with any neck movement. The area can be tender to touch (ie shoulder seatbelt in car is very painful).
Stress test was negative for any heart problems. MRI of the C-spine, T-spine and thoracic outlet (brachial plexus)(I'm not sure of the correct terms) were negative of any nerve impingements. There has not been an injury to this area and the pain started about 3 months ago. 37 year old female with no medical problems.
It took 3 or 4 MRI's, over a 5  year period, for them to find my herinated dics.  I had and still have the same problem you are talking about.  I was offered surgery but declined because of the risk factors.  I saw a good physical therapist who help me find my triggers.  What makes it worse what makes it better.  I can remember when the only way my symptoms would decrease alittle was to hold my arm up over my head.  I use a moist heating pad, and have purchased a home traction unit.  This was not a cheap traction unit, cost me over $500, but when I'm having alot of pain I lay in traction and it helps out alot.  It seems to be one of the only things that help.  Well, that and not doing the things that cause it to flare up.  Good luck!  Today I still have the same problems, but it is managable, as the years go by it seems alittler easier to handle.
I have the same problem, severe pain in the left shoulder blade area that radiates down to arm and tingling and numbness in pinky finger. Have had MRI of shoulder and neck, negative on both, CT scan and myelogram recently showed something at C5-6 although no definite diagnosis yet they are sending me for a nerve block. from everything I have been reading sounds like it could be a pinched nerve or bone spur pressing or pinching on the nerve.  EMG studies normal too.  Very very painful all the time, especially when having to type so much all day. But hurts all the time, steroid pack was of no help, anti inflammatories are of no help.
I get pain in the left shoulder and pain in the left bicep as well as tingling in the left bicep and arm- like a couple of other posts I did the MRI and everything checked out fine as far as heart, lungs and chest.  I also get panic attacks from time to time so this pain in the arms has been scary and I think it is triggering the panic attacks.  I was glad to read that this might be herniated disc related because I came very close to "slipping a disc" in my lower back last summer.  They said I didn't need surgery even though I was unable to move my back and had pains in my thighs when it happened ( only for a few days- couldn't walk) Hopefully this helps anyone else- E