Left-side abdominal pain when lying down
I am a 36-year-old female who has been experiencing left-sided abdominal pain radiating into the back for well over a month.  This only happens when I lie down.  It wakes me all night and some nights it is persistant.  In the morning it slowly resolves as I get up.  Sometimes a bowel movement seems to relieve the pain.
I have the exact symptoms. I am a 52 year old male. Have you found out the cause?
I also have the same symptoms, but no radiation into my back. I've had it for several years. After several tests, the gastroenterologist came up with nothing except a slight hiatal hernia. I'm not doctor, but I believe it is a sliding hiatal hernia that moves when I lie down and presses against something else. Anyway, whatever it is, there's nothing being done about it.

Two possibilities are there for your symptoms.It can be a gastric or duodenal ulcer(upper abdominal pains which can also be felt in the back in accordance with meals) or pancreatic disorder(felt in the upper quadrants and usually also in the back.  This pain may be worse when the patient is lying down (pancrease indents with spine) and may be relieved by bending over forwards).

I feel that a CT or ultrasound abdomen along with blood tests for pancreatic enzymes(like serum amylase levels) are required to confirm a diagnosis.Pls consult a gastroenterologist and get it done.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

A related discussion, left side pain was started.