Left side back pain with deep breath
I have mild back pain mostly on the left side but it does go across the mid back when taking a deep breath.  The pain the worse when my lungs are fully expanded.  i have been experiencing increased burping  and have some tightness in the upper chest area.  I do experience panic attacks, but control with medication upon need.  I have been under some additional stress lately and i do smoke

This discussion is related to pain in mid upper back when taking deep breathe.
I hope this info might help mine was on my r side but when you said the words extra stress i  will tell you stress put me in the hospital stress will make you have painsin places you have never had pains  before you got alot going on dont chance it get your self checked asap dont wait it could be something you pulled good luck
I smoke, burp a lot, have stomach troubles and hard to breathe because of chest pain and back pain located where you described. I also have anxiety. All you have stated is something I have been experiencing for over two years. They cannot give me a reason for it. I have had my heart checked out. I think it might be stress. Does your heart race too?
Have you had your heart and lungs checked out?  
Costochondritis is a painful condition that can hurt with a deep breath- has the doctor examined you for this?  
Burping a lot can be a sign of a gallbladder problem
or it could be you are gulping air when you drink, etc..  
Smoking can put you at greater risk for gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD (acid reflux).  
Esophageal spasms can feel like it's heart pain.
The stomach and pancreas are also on the left side.
I'd recommend a good internist for checking out the first three & a GI specialist to check out the rest.
I just wanted to clarify something about my first post...while I have all the same symptoms you have..i have had my heart and lungs checked and a upper G.I. and now that ssbestmom has mentioned the pancreas which has scared me for some time..it's worth getting checked out. I am so sick and weak I haven't been able to work for 2 yrs. I hope they find something quick.You should def. have everything she she mentioned checked. I have asked the doctors..could it be my pancreas.....since it situated in a read you cannot see well. They say I dont think so...I really dont trust doctors anymore.
I have been to a gastro doctor.  He wanted to have an ultrasound done of my pancreas, but my insurance would not pay for it because i had not lost 20% of my body weight.  Doc. said I just had IBS and put me on prevacaid.  I started taking a probiotic recently because the prevacaid perscription was to much.  I have also had EKG done which was perfect, but I think maybe I need to have a chest x-ray just to make sure lungs are ok.  i do have panic attacks and have taken Paxil for years.  I decided to get off of it about  six years ago.  Now I do breathing exercises but when that doesn't work, I have a perscription for Valium.  I control it fairly well, they only give me two refills a year (20 pills ea. script).  Extra stress just makes it worse.
Are you a victim of socialized medicine?  That's terrible not covering an ultrasound, considered to be a relatively inexpensive diagnostic procedure here in the U.S., unless you lost 20 percent of your body weight!