Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Left upper side pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Left upper side pain

I am a 56 year old female with pain almost daily in my upper left side right along my ribs. 3 years ago I fell very hard on my right side and it seems thats when my troubles started. I went to Dr and they questioned gall bladder, had a hida scan and it was determined a low function gall bladder, so had it removed. But, my pain didnt go away, one of my major complaints was it hurt to wear my bra, just across my left side and into my back.I also noticed my left ribs stick out more on my left side and are tender also my OBGYN Dr noticed it too when I told her about my pain. I have had many, many tests done, in having all these one thing did show up, a cyst in my pancreas. This has been over 2 years now and I have had MRIs repeated every 6 mos and it has not changed and was told I can go every 2 years now. I have also had scope down my throat to look at it too. I can eat alright, but I do belch alot. Some days the pain is not too bad but alot of days I have to take something for pain. Sometimes I take xanax for my nerves as I start thinking the worse about my cyst and I will get relief from my pain taking that. I have been to Cleveland Clinic and talked to a gastro specialists about it and he felt pretty sure my pain isnt from cyst and since I have had for sometime it is a benign cyst.I have tried Prilosec treatments, probotics, enzymes to help digest food and I dont eat much meat. I just wish I could get a answer to this pain, my regular doctor is totally baffeled after so many tests I have been thru. Sometimes I wonder if it isnt something from the fall I took, I also have a small benign hemangioma on the left side of my L2 vertebray. Any thoughts as to a certain Dr to try would be appreciated. I am tired of the pain.
The description of your pain seems very vague to me.  It almost sounds orthopedic to me.  I doubt it has anything to do with the pancreatic cyst.  I don't think it's the hemangioma.  If your ribs stick out, it sounds like you have a postural problem.  Maybe you have scoliosis throwing everything out of whack. If it is digestive, then it wouldn't hurt to check for problem foods like gluten or milk.  These can cause wide-ranging symptoms.  But it sounds more orthopedic from what you've said.  
Another thing I wanted to mention is I find myself arching my lower back and sticking my stomach out alot of times and dont even realize I am doing that. At first when I noticed it too it felt like something was hanging under my right breast area right where your ribs start in between my sternum area, after my gallbladder surgery then it felt like a big air bubble was stuck there and I was constantly jerking myself over to the right to reposition myself. I dont find myself doing that so much anymore. I have had all kinds of xrays in that area, MRIs, one CT scan, a MRI for my upper spine, checked for stones in ducts. It is a mystery to me why I have this pain, sometimes I can feel really crappy from it and like I said then i get myself worked up over the cyst thing. Thank you for responding.
arching your lower back maybe a result of your L2 vertabre .but i dont think that this would cause right sided pain... when you fell you may have cause damage to the nerves on the right side, or you maybe have started an arthritic responce to the injury in the head of your ribs.. there is also (unrelated to anything) the chance that you have an infection thin the rib head my mom had that... sometimes for me gas can cause left sided pain, severe at times... phayzime helps with that... im assuming they check for vascular problems? stretching may help if you are favoring one side or the other because of L2 you might be cause the muscle on one side to develop more than the otherside which can cause one muscle to pull too much resulting in cramps and akward posture.... one last possibilty especially with a previous rib injury and the assimitry of your rib change... underwire bras can create sever tenderness on your side... especially over time.... my obgyn told me that.
I have wondered about an infection before, how did you mom get one in her rib head and what did they do for that? I have wondered if a hard blow could cause an infection. Sometimes it feels as though my stomach is bloated and pressing on my back and if I lay down and rub and press slightly it feels as though things are moving and pain lets up some but not always. Someone had suggested massage therapy may be helpful. I always used to wear underwire bras but when this started I switched to no wire and sometimes I even go without one.My pain is always on theleft side, never on the right.I do have some arthritis in my lower back also.
the arthritis could also be contributing its not uncommon for an injury to develop arthrits also... as for the infection, even a simple cold can actually migrate through your body and effect certain parts that you would not expect... with my mom they treated her with a course of antibitics and it cleared up for her... but her pain was a little more localized. i get pain on my left side too, initially they checked my heart but nothing was found... they determined it to be costochondritis though that usually effects the sternum. they treated it with anti inflamitories.. it seems though in my case that the pain is associated to my stomach , my pain travels into my left armpit as well.. they have never offered an explanation for this but there are nerves that pass through those areas and can cause phantom pain where what hurts isnt really where the problem is coming from..... did  you have any fractures from the fall? sometimes they dont heal right. in the fall you may have also torn ligament, which doesnt heal well on its own...  other tahn that im kinda stumped. i think the fall is probaly responcible but the underlying aspect of the damage may be hard to determine.. have you seen an orthopedist?
I have not seen a ortho dr yet, initially my sternum was very sore, especially the bottom, ball like area. Sometimes I get a feeling of like something pressing on my ribs sternum and then my back right behind that same area but I would think all the MRIs (5) that I have had and  or xrays would have shown if something was there. I am thinking of trying message therapy and if no luck there then ortho dr.....so frustrating
that would be very frustrating... i would think mri's would show something if it was degenrative in nature or if it was a mass. have you ever had a cardiovascular work up? there is a small chance it could be heart related, they wouldnt neccisarily see that on an mri .. if it is just inflamati0n you could try ibprophen and heat treatments along with message... 0nly thing is ibprophen has to be taken 0n a sh0rt term bases because it can damage your liver with frequent use.
Thank you for all your input to my problems. I have went for a therapeutic massage and of course I use my heating pad and ibprophen pretty regularly. If the massages dont seem to help I am going to go to a different Dr and get another opinion. Only had a EKG when this very first started 3 yrs ago for heart, but has always felt more stomach related to me. I may ask about that too. Thank you, Shawniegirl