Leg pain at night
I am a 53 year old male -5'11"-112lbs Underweight (I know!). Recently I have been experiencing pain in the upper part of both legs when sleeping, or trying to sleep, I can only sleep on my side and the pain occurs in the leg I am lying on. The pain is immediately relieved when I lie on my back but as soon as I move onto my side the pain returns.
I had surgery on 3 disks in my neck last July and am currently having physio, concentrating on my arms and hands.The physio thinks the leg pain may be because I have not been walking, or running, as much as before the operation.
Can anyone help with the likely cause of the pain. (weight gain tips also appreciated)
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Pain in the legs while sleeping can be due to pinched spinal nerves and a nerve conduction study should be done. The other possibility is that it is a sleep disorder called restless leg syndrome. You can probably take up exercises to strengthen your legs too. Your physiotherapist could be right, the pain could also be due to the legs not being in much use.To gain weight, you have to first rule out whether you have hyperthyroidism, diabetes, worms in stool or any other cause of poor weight. If not, you will have to join a good nutrition expert and go for a guided weight gain program.
Hope this helps. Take care!