Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Leg pain upon standing from a seated/crouched position

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

About me: 19 years old. 5'10" 195lbs. Weight lift 4x a week and cardio 3x a week.

For the past two years, I've been having leg pains in my left thigh area. It's not as if my muscles are contracting, but it feels as if my nerves are pinched. Hard to explain, except that it hurts really really bad. It comes randomly and out of nowhere. I've been to the doctors and he pretty much said that he cannot do anything because it wasn't hurting when I saw him. He told me to just massage the area with icey-hot and I should be good. However, that has not worked. The stinging pain lasts for about 10-15 minutes. Ex: I sat down and right when I stood up, my left leg felt like it was on fire and I wasn't able to stand up all the way. Sometimes it hurts so bad, I have to stay in that position and try to put all the weight onto my right leg. 15 minutes later, it'll disappear and I'll be fine; able to walk, run, sit, crouch, squat, whichever. Another example: Last year, I drove home from work and pulled into the driveway. As I was getting out, my left leg hurt so I sat back down in the car and waited for a bit. I thought about it and told myself that maybe I was being a wuss and it's all mental. So I pretty much pulled myself up quickly ignoring the pain. Next thing I knew, my mom was outside worried as hell and told me that she found me unconscious on the floor. I blacked out, apparently.

As of now, I've learned to just sit or stay in whichever position and let the pain subside. If anyone knows what it could be, please let me know so I could talk with my doctor and get this fixed.

Thanks,
commissary
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
There is a chance that you have compression of the spinal nerves in the lumbo-sacral spine region. This can happen due to overuse of the lower back as in work requiring too much of bending, lifting weight, fall on the back, overweight, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. Poor posture while sleeping, sitting on computers or jobs for a long time, uneven bed, exposure of back to cold air while sleeping can cause a discomfort for a few days. A MRI of the lumbo-sacral spine may be required.
The nerve compression may be superficial too (lateral femoral cutaneous nerve), that comes from the hip area and gets pinched. This condition is called meralgia paresthetica and is often due to weight gain or wearing tight clothes and belts. Losing some weight or wearing loose clothes and belts often helps relieve the pain/numbness/tingling. Also injection of lignocaine (anesthetic agent) at the site helps. In your case you can apply a pain reliever at the site and see.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please consult a neurologist. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!