Leg swelling and redness
For several yrs now, I have noticed my feet and lower legs get swollen. I have my good days and bad. If I sit for too long they may get very swollen. In the summer, especially with the humidity it's the worst. The colder months I don't notice it nearly as much, but I have my days. There are days my legs and feet get so swollen my skin folds at the ankles when standing. If I put any pressure on my skin, it will leave an indentation, but it never hurts. Within a day or 2 my feet can look completely normal, but there is always some slight swelling. Lately, I have been noticing that my lower legs, from the ankles half way up the shin appear red, and a little warm to the touch. The other day I woke up and noticed they were very red and warm to the touch. I am a female, who is overweight, I don't have health complications that I have come across, and dont take any medications of any kind. I do have a family history of diabetes, high choleserol, and high blood pressure. I also do have some spider veins , if that has any connection. Any possibilities of what the causes could be? I keep hearin about edema, but the redness is new. Any thoughts?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Since you have spider veins, redness on legs and a pitting edema that comes on and off I think you have deep vein thrombosis of the deep veins of the leg or maybe valvular dysfunction of the deep veins of the legs. This can be diagnosed by color Doppler or by angiogram of the leg veins.

Since you have a family history of diabetes and hypertension, you must get a kidney function test done to see the status of your kidneys. Get your blood pressure checked and your blood sugar tested. Also get your cholesterol checked. In case of an abnormality, you should have a heart checkup done. In case of all diseases running in the family you need to be careful.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do consult your vascular and medicine specialist for this.   Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!