Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Life changing symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Life changing symptoms

Probably for about the past 2 years I have been experiencing nocturnal episodes of severe cold intolerance, nausea and vomiting, sweating and palpitations. I am a 49 year old female. I have not yet experienced any menstrual changes. I first thought I had a GI bug but it continued to occur every few months, very sporadically and the pattern was the same. It always lasts about 6 hours and stops as abruptly as it starts and it always occurs at night. I have never experienced panic attacks, not do I have any psych history. I have had a complete GI work up including 2 upper endoscopies - which only showed mild "chemical" erosion probably due to ibuprofen use; a colonoscopy - neg. for tumors but was unable to proceed past the hepatic flexure due to spasms. Also a finding of adhesions likely due to two previous c/s. After these episodes I am left feeling exhausted and down for a couple days. My baseline is very energetic. I work, have 3 kids and due pilates and run or walk for exercise. For the past couple of months these episodes have been much more frequent, about 2-3 times per week and really disruptive to my life. This is not normal yet all testing so has been completely normal. In addition to the previous tests mentioned, I have had an abdominal CT with contrast; an abd. u/s; pelvic u/s and head CT. Blood work for CBC; electrolytes; thyroid; free T4; liver function; FSH; LH. I have just had a 24 hr urine for VMA and catecholomines which I do not yet have results. The only abnormal finding to date is a low vit. D (20). I have ruled out all GI disorders including celiac. I am Gluten sensitive and avoid all gluten. I am 5'2"; 118lbs and a non-smoker. I occasionally drink alcohol, however, even one glass of wine will tend to trigger symptoms, but not always. There are no identifiable triggers. I take omeprazole 20mg daily; hctz 12.5mg daily (not HTN but for fluid retention) and a probiotic daily. My weight had previously been around 123lbs and dropped as low as 114lbs and is now back to 118. The only was I can describe these symptoms is it feels like an intense adrenaline surge in my gut almost like being startled but it lasts for hours without relent. Anti emetics have been completely ineffective. The one thing that will shorten the duration of symptoms is .5mg of lorazepam, which I will not take unless I'm desperate.  Please help.
have they checked your iron and ferritin levels? low iron can cause some of that. also what's your heart rate? I have tachycardia and have some  similar symptoms.
Dont take the low Vitamin D levels casually. Make sure they get back normal along with the calcium intake with plenty of water. Live healthy feel better.
How's your heart rate during these?? If it's extremely fast, they may try having you wear a Holter monitor for a few days. Only thing I can think of is maybe SVT (supra ventricular tachycardia) maybe. Some people have episode of their heart beating extremely fast, over 180 beats per minute and it could cause the symptoms you talk of. Try seeing a cardiologist or bring this up to what doctor you're seeing or go to ER at the beginning of the episode.  To me, I think heart related.