Ligaments in fingers/hands curling up
The ligaments in my wife's fingers and hands are curling up and causing knots to form in the fingers and palms of the hands.  This has been occurring for the last several years and is gradually getting worse.  Additionally, this condition is now affecting her feet and toes.  This is a very painfull condition.  We have seen several doctors over the years and were told "wear a bikers glove, herediatry, will be very painfull, nothing can be done, can do surgery, but will not help and may make it worse", however, no one has put a name to the condition.  

Recently we have discovered that the insulin she takes for her diabetes can make the problem worse.  She takes 20 units of Lantus at 10:30 PM and 5 to 10 units of Aprida after the evening meal depending on the sugar level at that time (140 or aboce 10 units 139 of less 5 units).  She had a very bad scenario in the last four days in which the pain in the feet and toes made it extremely painfull to walk or even wear shoes  During this same time period her fingers and hands were extremely painfull.  During this period she did not take the Aprida for two day and the pain began to subside to the point where she could wear shoes and walk a little.  Yesterday she did take a 10 unit Aprida shot and within a minute the pain returned to her feet and she could not tolerate shoes.

My question is what is the name of this condition and where do we go to better medical care that we have gotten so far.        
A related discussion, pain on left side of my body was started.