Light headed / tingles through body (sort of like electric shock)
Recently I've had some horrible feelings of being light headed & at the same time I get this odd tingle through my whole body.  It's almost like a hot flash without the heat.  I compare it to a very light electric shock.  It's getting to be pretty bad & it's starting to worry me a bit.  I went to the Dr. yesterday & he assumed it was Norovirus because there was an outbreak here in Omaha.  I don't really have the stomach cramps, diarrhea, or nausea that goes along with the Norovirus though.  Has anyone ever experienced something like this?  I was thinking maybe something with an ear infection?  It happens about every 20 to 30 seconds if I'm standing, & it really hits if I stand up from a seated position.  Thanks in advance,

Dennis
So glad to have found I am not the only one having these symptoms, and I think I have just found out what is causing them - well, mine at least. Last week I was hospitalised as an emergency admission - I'm fine now, but have had these electric shock feelings since I came home. I found another link on this site saying the symptons are related to withdrawl of Seroplex -  I have been taking these anti-depressants for around a year now and have been gradually reducing the dose in the hope of getting off them by Christmas, however I haven't taken any since being admitted to hospital last week.

After reading the link here this morning I decided to re-start the Seroplex just to see if thats what's causing my symptoms. Within an hour I was beginning to feel better, and now, 7 hours later I am feeling the best I have felt since stopping them. The only trouble now is how to get off the Seroplex - I'm pretty sure I don't need them for depression anymore, but these electric shocks are something else and pretty unpleasant. I will start to wean them very very gradually and keep you posted as to the outcome. Thanks to those who have contributed to this forum - you've done me a great service.
I'm on this site because I'm looking for a solution to this very scary spike ticgle sensation I have when I turn my head or moving. I think your comment explains it best as I recently stopped taking an anti depressant called Lexamil (8 months of use). I think that must be it, causing havoc on my nervous system.

Just wish I know how long it would take to get this stuff out my system and hope it doesn't have any complications on organs... worried about heart. I'm 29.

have you recently gone of anti depressants? because that happened to me when i did
I've been worried for a few months now because I was getting what felt like a pulsing electric current through my body. It seems to be triggered (for me) by extreme body heat. I get light headed and drowsy/listless and then the shocks start. It seems to start with my left foot and work its way through the rest of my body. Mostly when I'm walking. Feels like its going in sync with my pulse. Sometimes the shock is so much that if I'm holding anything with my left hand my hand will temporarily release/spasm. I get the same body itch that people describe in above comments. Only med that I'm on is for depression (Effexor). I've had panic/anxiety attacks before and this is different, random. Not sure if it has something to do with a nerve. First time I noticed it was when I was taking a really hot shower to relax my muscles after a long day at work. Now when I get really warm I start getting the electric pulse/tingle. Hopefully someone will figure out what this is exactly and let the rest of us know so we have a clue as to what we should talk to our doctors about since we all seem to have the problem with doctors either misdiagnosing or dismissing our concerns.
I started experiencing tingling throughout my body 2 weeks after I raked the leaves in my backyard. The next day I woke up with stiff bones in my arms and legs. That subsided but I was left with knee and elbow pain, then the tingling started and it has not let up. I stopped several of my medications, lipitor, diovan as instructed by my physician but that did not help. I went to a neurologist and he did an EMG, MRI of my brain and cervical spine and did not find anything. I was tested for lupus, rheumotoid arthritis and Lymes disease, all negative. Any ideas? Thanks.
ive been having these feeling since i was a child but mainly only when i get run down or sick i have had them when im not but nothing compared to when i am ive just started having them again when i am walking or working they seem to come and go but when i relax they are constant i hope someone has an answer to this because as someone said its rather annoying but also when i was a child i remeber it getting so bad that it was painfull
I started getting these electric shocks throughout my whole body when I was lying in bed.  I started some research on my own, because I refuse to go to the Dr.  All of my research led me to the conclusion that I have a Vitamin B-12 deficiency.  I started taking 2400 mcg's of sublingual B-12 twice a day, and all my symtoms, and shocks have subsided.  If I miss a day or two my symtoms return.  Hope this info helps everyone.  You have to take the sublingual type of B-12 instead of the kind you swallow, because stomach acid distroys the effectiveness of this vitamin.  I keep a small bag of them in my purse, so I can take them even when I'm away from home.  I buy mine at Walgreens, or Wal-Mart.  Adjust your own dosage, as needed.
  I have had the feeling of electricity going through my body.  I think I might have a pinched nerve or maybe it's my anxiety acting up.  I thought I could also describe it as little seizures, the shock goes through your body and it's actually your nerves tensing up from head to toe, you have no control of the moment.  It's scary, I'm going to see my Doctor soon.
I've been wondering about these electrical like pulses too... If I forget to take my zoloft pill for my anxiety, the next day I'll have them all day long especially when I execise!
I am an alternative healer and I have had many people come to me with similar issues.  I hope you find this helpful.  Taking antidepressants affects your brain and nervous system.  For others it is the combination of drugs and eating white sugar that begins to destroy the nervous system.  The person who wrote that tai chi helped them was describing a very effective way to heal it.  Also the B-12 works because it rebuilds the nerve fiber and over time will heal the effects of white sugar and drugs taken.  If you do not have a blood sugar (high or low) issue, and your blood pressure is normal, then this is quite possibly the culprit.  Quit the white sugar, also white flour, soda pop, fake sugars and eat rapidura sugar, agave or stevia.  Eat meats without antibiotics or hormones, which also affect you.  Take 3 T of Blackstrap molasses each day.  If you don't like that taste, you can mix it into milk or soy milk or rice milk and it tastes like a chocolate/caramel milk.  It's pretty good.  In spiritual terms, your spirit and your body are not in harmony, because the drugs and foods you are eating don't allow your spiritual energy to integrate into your body.  The combination of increased B vitamins, change in diet and tai chi will heal this issue and release you from the causes of depression and poor diet. There may be additional dietary issues.   To get the right combination for you, see a chinese acupuncturist, naturopath, or other holistic practitioner who can guide you through your specific healing.

Blessings to you all.
dont worry, ive had this exact same thing since i was very young. i used to turn to my mum and say, "uh oh, im having that feeling again". so, heres how i best describe these 'electrical pulses';

sometimes i can go months without having one of these weird 'feelings' and then all of a sudden, they come in waves. once i've had one then i know im in for a few hours of the same thing, on and off. they never last more than about 15-20 seconds each time.

its like a strange sensation in my upper chest, or even really low down my throat (the 'V' shape at the base of the neck), and most of the time the pulses go in time with my heart beat. ive had this for so long that i know the exact feeling of when it starts. when i know its about to happen, i sort of brace myself and think to to myself 'ok, here we go, its happening'. it starts off quite weak and gradually gains strength and sends thumping pulses through my body and the pulses get stronger until it eventually subsides. as it subsides i get slight body jerks or twitches, only noticable by me, which is just my bodys way of getting rid of the excess electricity. while this is happening i dont really feel connected to the world around me and whats even stranger is that my mouth starts to go nuts and produce loads of salia. this is what makes me sure its something to do with my body's electricity regulation. something is stimulating my saliva glands to work overtime. after the waves of pulses subside i notice that i need to breathe deeply a few times. this is because during the electric pulses i have noticed that i forget to breathe. if i embrace the feeling and conentrate on my breathing throughout, i dont need to take deep 'phew, its over' breaths at the end. my body also gets hot and cold flushes afterwards and sometimes my eyes feel cold. this is because they slightly water during the episode and so the evaporating water produces a cooling sensation.

please dont worry about crazy diseases or a wacky nervous system. i have had this for so long that i know how to regulate it when it randomly appears. its all about your body's mineral / ion balance. i havent quite narrowed it down to which mineral it is, or maybe its even low blood sugar because if i've been having these feelings, i eat a balanced meal with some carbs, veg and a bit of salt for sodium intake, after a while the feelings subside.

i know how horrible it can feel during these feelings, trust me i've had them in the most inappropriate times, it almost diverts your mind so much it can be a real pain in the ***. im a sportsman and play to a high level, and sometimes get them during matches. you just gotta accept they are a result of an inbalance in your body, and its only you that knows its happening. think of it as your OWN feeling and nobody knows your having it except you. strangely enough my school friend also had it, and i knew exactly how she felt, only people that experience it do!

i had an ecg when i was in my early teens at great ormond street hospital to try and get to the bottom it, they attached electrodes to my head and all sorts and told me that when i had this feeling to press a button next to my bed. the button set a time marker on my ecg reading and therefore the doctors could cross reference and check my brain activity at the exact time of these feelings. luckily i had 2 episodes whilst i was there, and they could see no difference in brain activity at all. im telling you, its all down to mineral and ion regulation in your body. this is why it doesn't surprise me that so many people posting on here are on/off/on/off different medications. of course they will affect your bodys electrical conductance.

hope this helps
I can't believe I found this blog.  I have had this for a while now and seems to be getting worse, not in intensity but the frequency.  If anyone of you have the interest, but I have Fibromyalgia, and my doctor seems to think this is a "side effect" of that.  Also, I notice the trend with anti depressents.  I am so glad to see I am not the only one.  I thought I was going bonkers!  If anyone finds a cure, please post it here!!!!  

Thank you from Hawaii
Amazing. I have just recently started getting these sensation, out of nowhere and for no perceivable reason. Some are more powerful than others, and I have a history of lightheadedness, occasionally to the point where I seem to loose vision, but I always thought that this was due to low blood pressure. I am quite tall (6' 4"), and sure that low blood pressure is normal in these cases. Not sure why though, think the doc told me. Anyway, perhaps there is nothing discernibly the matter with us? Maybe there is something else going on here? We are complex creatures and nothing like this is straight  forward. My guess is that it would be something to do with the brain, or the spine, as suggested earlier. Still ... Think I am gonna ring the surgery in the morning and make an appointment. Let you know what he thinks. Hopefully it's a precursor of some kind of superpower........    
Ok so My boyfriend has had the exact symptoms started off withh the dizzinesss sick feeling etc.... we have been together six years and now most recently the shocks. before the shocks began he would describe his brain like sqishing in and the feeeling of wanting to faint. was mostly while driving but now happens all the time. Like i said the shocks have been for about a year now but have been getting worse the last couple of months. now this has put a serious toll on our relationship because he is unable to alot of thing and cant seem to keep a job longer than 2 years because it seems to act up every couple years(always there but acts up). he has been to over 30 drs if not more for everything you can think of the number 1 answer he gets is extreme anxiety! but here lies the problem none of the medications work. i too have told him its a mental thing but that is not what you guys want to here, I know. he also gets  like tiks while hes driving like his mouth will start twitching used to be while  driving but happens now just while chilling. I dont know what to do he is starting to get to the point where i just know he is going to be calling into work again to go to the drs as a living again, which does not pay the bills! anybody have suggestions
i have been suffering these symptoms of electric tingles and the feeling of channeling electricity like it was running through my body for around 5 years now and have found tramadol pain tablet seems to make it dissapear.
Been having the same thing. Started a couple weeks ago. Mostly when im standing. Feels like an electric pulse shooting threw the back of my head and down threw my body that lasts for a second or two. Doesn't seem to do it somedays as much, then others it happens alot. Been happening more and more lately and im starting to get a little concered. Im 25 and not on any medication and haven't been for sometime.
I have this too. Quite often. I am on NO medications to withdraw from.  I see a naturopath.  I do have firbromyalgia and Severe Alpha intrusions as well as arthritis as well as insomnia and IBS.  My Gaba and other inhibitors are too high and my hormones too low. I am a cancer survivor. I suffer from severe Adrenal fatigue as well and Anxiety (physiological, not psychological) from the inability to produce cortisol

I have a friend who is a neurologist who said to have platelets checked as well as lupus anti-coagulants and ATI or something like that. As well as am EEG and a test for Ciliac (sp)

I hopes this information helps  

It could also be Migraine Ora...  My twin has tonic colonic seizures as well

I am off to the ER, I collapsed today and my vision is blacking out

I am 31 years old

I hopes this information helps  

I am 31 years old

BTW,
I just got back from the ER who said that the symptoms where from hyperventilating (which I was not and don't).
They released me with no treatment.
NEVER go to the ER for this, they are A$$es and don't give a crap.
My symptoms often accompany a Migraine, and they would not even treat that.
Emanuel Hospital in Portland Oregon. NEVER go there if you want help.
Its my second day this has happened to me, I go to sleep at around 12 and wake up at 3am with a shocking sensation in my whole body, and feeling restless. Everything I touch feels really strange like shocking and cold at the same time. It stoppes if i dont touch anything but starts again if I move under the sheets. It doesn`t hurt me but it`s a very uncomforable feeling. I am 25. It used to happen to me when I used to smoke weed and get really stoned. I had a good night out last week and i think the water in my ears is unbalanced which is making me dizzy. What the hell is happining. I am really stressed out at the moment so im hoping its just a slight panick attack or something like that. Any help before i freak out
Wow...this has been happening to me so much recently. It seems that it starts once I get up from a prone position. When I'm laying down I'm fine, so when I wake up in the morning I get up from bed and I'm fine. I go to my kitchen and start making breakfast for my family and I'll turn my head and I get a series of "electrical shocks" everywhere in my head, neck, arms, hands, legs and feet. It just travels throughout my entire body and lasts for a couple seconds. But it keeps happening. So a minute after the first one there will be another and another and it will be like that all day. I've been having them happen to me real bad for the past 3 days. It's getting to the point where the "shocks" are making my mind feel like it's studdering....it takes me a few seconds to get myself together. I hate this feeling....I'm glad to see I'm not alone.
I had a  seizer in nov it made me pass out and it was the most scary thing that ever happened to me my brain felt like it was being shocked over and over i went and had a ekg preformed i found out i have post tramatic brain seizers they put me on tegrodol and want to see me again so i alpyed for ssi i cant drive and this offten happens to me when i go to sleep the smalll shockings and well im not right i stare off into space and droll sometomes im not my self anymore im 39 years old [ do you or anyone think that i will reaceave SSI
I have also been suffering shocks. I smoke cigarettes and was interested to know if anybody else does? As was concerned that this may be related.
Same thing here it flashes thru my whole body. When it hits my brain my vision goes out for 1 milisecond. Have it whole walking and standing. Its like à fast wave. Started to have it after i didnt sleep for à whole 24 hrs. It Started in the morning and hasnt stopped after 12 hrs went to sleep and it didnt stop. I have medicale history of zoloft and ritaline.
I have also had something similar which if I concentrate hard enough I can actually bring it on! It's like a hot flash of electric through the skin of my entire body which radiates from my feet through to my head and finger tips, mine are very intense though and last from 10 seconds to a minute or so, my doctor tried to tel me it was anxiety but I don't have any other symptom of it and don't feel anxious at any point it happens? I have noticed I also affect the tv and radio when this happens as if it is some kind of electrical discharge in the body? Without sounding too crazy!!! Lol
im 25 i have been having these electric feelings all over my body in pulses. didnt think much of it until my girl friend said to me one day that she was getting this electric shock feeling through her should which was touching me during an "episode" she didnt know i had these sensations at the time.
im on no medication dont drink or smoke.
but i have been having these feelings since i was a little kid.
no idea what causes it comes on randomly.
I feel relieved to find others with the same symptoms. I too have the tingling/electrical sensations along with dizzy/ lightheaded episodes. When I feel the electric sensations it seems to coincide with my pulse. It's not painful very light. I have migraines and bulging discs in my neck. I too wondered if it was related to a pinched nerve, but was glad to hear others confirm that stopping anti-depressants played a part. I stopped mine and these symptoms started. I was initially put on those meds for migraine prevention. I also eat so terrible, lots of sugar. I am gonna start taking the B-12 and eating better to see if it helps. I don't want to have to start the anti-depressants again:(
I think I have your answer.  I am not a doctor.  But so very, very  many of these symptoms are caused by adrenal gland disorders and pituitary gland disorders.  See an endocrinologist or a rheumatologist.  You are NOT crazy, your body is trying to tell you something!

Adrenal glands produce three types of steroidal hormones.  If you have too much or too little of any of these hormones you can an array of symptoms that come and go.  Those glands also control your sodium and potassium levels.  Hyper or hypo active adrenal glands can cause TINGLING, chest pain, abdominal pain, sweating, lightheadedness; symptoms mirroring diabetes, blood pressure fluctuations, tendency to gain or lose weight; lack of energy; difficulty concentrating; poor memory; chronically high stress levels; mild depression; dry and thin skin; unexplained hair loss; heart palpitations; dyspepsia; constipation; hypoglycemia (low blood sugar); food allergies, high frequency of the flu or infections, lightheadedness upon standing, diabetes, unwanted facial or body hair, sexual dysfunction, weakness, nausea, paleness, altered consciousness, seizures, and on and on.

Low sodium and/or low potassium can cause tingling and muscle related problems.

Simple to diagnose (go to an endocrinologist) and simple to treat IF you go to a doctor with experience with these issues.  My advice to anyone who has weird symptoms and no diagnosis is to go see an endocrinologist!

Hope this helps!  Could someone clean this up and repost it to other discussions where people might benefit?  Thx!
I don't know if this thread is open anymore but maybe someone else will stumble upon this. I am twenty years old right now, but I was on anti depressants for several years as a young child. If I missed a day or more I would experience withdrawals that made me feel like reality skipped or an electric jolt would go through my head. I looked into this and the withdrawls have a name, SSRI discontinuation syndrome, I believe. This may or may not be what you are experiencing, but they were sure terrifying as a young child who couldn't explain what I felt.
i have these symptoms and I have neuro Lyme Disease.   It's the nervous system that's affected.
Try www.realfoodnutrients.com  and buy nerve support formula.
and a good Lyme Disease Doctor for some Antibotics
God Bless
I get the same exact thing. I do have an anxiety disorder and when I was on xanax I didn't have these. Or on Valium. Im now on klonopin and im getting these even worse
I am so glad i found this forum. i have the same problem and i have been searching for answers. everyone's input is very helpful and taking advice...
I believe that prunella has the answer for you. I keep seeing more and more proof that Western medicine does not look outside of the box.  Try a Chinese Medicine practitioner.  They willl not dismiss your symptoms.
I had these same conditions and needed to have a fusion in the C3  C4 vertebrae.  My discs had worn out, from lifting my disabled daughter for many years.  Maybe you need to have a Ct scan or MRI on your neck.
Cheers, Yeppoon
Thanks a million.
I decidedt to look this up today and l am amazed how many people feel like l do. That alone is a releave but your advice is even more motivating. I will go directly to an endocrinologist.
God bless you and continue you good work
Ruthie
I haven't read all of the postings, but in scanning over quite a few, I didn't see any mention of L'hermitte's Sign - a symptom of multiple sclerosis.  A visit to a neurologist who deals with MS is advisable (not all neurologists specialize in or are terribly familiar with MS, so ascertaining his/her particular discipline before visiting is wise.)
i have been having the same sensation. Every so often when im walking around i feel this jolt like thing and i feel like I'm going to pass out for that split second. I looked it up and came across a website that called it brain zaps and said it could be withdrawl symptoms from antidepressants or anxiety medication. This sort of makes sense i have forgotten to take my anxiety medication for 3 days. Here check this out:
http://www.****.com/brain_zaps.html
kundalini baby ;)
kundalini baby ;)
I'm 13 years old and I suffer from this at least once ever two weeks. I'll get up from sitting and take about two steps then I'll get a tingly feeling through my whole body, get dizzy, stiffen and just fall over. It always seems to be at home though. Could be a reaction to something in my house? Am I being taken over by the devil?
hi my friend suffers from eletric shocks and hears voices witch scares her what can she do should she see her gp
It looks like a lot of people experience similar symptoms. I am a 30 year old male and just recently started experiencing.. like this wave of tingles travel through my body. It's kind of like a cold chill without the coldness. That along with light headedness and dizziness. My eyes want to roll up into the back of my head. It happens a lot more when I'm up an moving around. I HATE IT - I don't like feeling like this. What ***** the most is it just keeps happening over and over, from about every 20-30 seconds to a couple minutes in between. After reading through this, I have decided I'm going to my doctors. And if he doesn't tell me what I want to hear than I'm going to go and see a neurologist. My doctor has told me to go see a neurologist a few times on separate occasions because of migraines. And I don't know but this very well could be a Migraine, just with different symptoms. I don't know. But after my quest for knowledge I'll come back and post my findings.
Anyone with these symptoms have a wood stove or live in a community that uses them?
i used to get that same feeling, and i found out it was my medication i was on. it is called paxil for depression, i changed to a different one and no more shock feelings. hope this helps.
yes u r right about the medication. i used to be on paxil and it gave me them same feelings so i changed to a different medication and now that feeling is gone, it was the paxil that was doing it for me but also withdrawls would do it to.
I have the same problem and have been Diagnosed with a rare illness called dysautonomia with orthastatic hypotension. When I stand my Blood pressure drops. Hope it's not that for ya but I would check it out. You need to have a tilt table test done, it's the only way to find out.    I have to see a Doctor in Ohio for this as there are very little Doctors here in Pa that can treat me. Your doctor here can do the test to find out if your bp is dropping
i have been having the same things too but mine has been going on for a month now..
i don't know if you have read lots on your syptoms but dieabetes looks like a very stong possiblity
im getting the same  kinda electric shocks too.... sometime 3 times a day to ...every 3 seconds  and i found out it could be related to dieabetes i have just been told that i am pre-dieabetic not full blowen..... but other symtoms could be low glycemic too.... do you have trouble seeing more and more... feels like some one is cutting off your circulation in your arms or back.......pain across your stomach (liver)- sickly tirered..... ummm... cant go around sick people fear ...of getting what ever they have? ......pains or swelling in your head- tunnel vision.... feel things are going faster then they are  ......il bet you are dieabetic ...what else can it be .....im going to the doctor myself to bring up this new symptom of electric shock feelings\being dieabeties .....could you let me know if you are having the same symptoms and if go to  the  doc let lme know what he thinks of your symtoms thanks abunch susan
A related discussion, lighting bolt sensations and vibrationin body was started.
A related discussion, Tingling feeling was started.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.